714 users online (125 members and 589 guests)  

Websleuths News

IA - Iowa Cold Cases

The Iowa Cold Cases website has been working since 2005 to list and cross-reference by city and county all the state's unsolved homicides and longtime missing persons cases. Iowa currently has just over 150 unsolved murders and approx. 46 (LT) missing persons cases.

Each victim is given his or her own page, and as I continue to receive case lists from police and sheriff's depts, I'm getting them added to the website as fast as I can. Case information received via our contact form is shared with the IA DCI's special agent in charge, and, in some particular cases, with the FBI.

Iowa's newly developed cold cases unit (enacted this year under the DCI) is working to compile a complete list of cases, and though I have just over 120 cases on the ICC website now, the list is growing daily. Most county and city LE sites do not include cold cases, so it's a matter of contacting them one by one and adding the new cases as time permits.

If anyone knows of additional cases not listed, please feel free to forward that information along.

Thanks to everyone here on WS for your commitment to these unsolved crimes. This is a great community, and when people get involved, we see results. Keep up the good work!

Jody
    http://www.iowacoldcases.com

Thanks for the link, it's a great website. Every state should have something similar, some have hardly any info at all

Thank you, mayfairlight

Thank you for the kind words, mayfairlight. I agree that all states should have something similar. It can be quite time consuming tracking down all the cold cases in one's state. One of the reasons I started the Iowa Cold Cases website is because many of these cases can't be found online (unless ones pays subscriber fees to access newspaper archives), and I wanted to bring all the cases together "under one roof" so to speak.

These names and cases need to be "out there" where people don't forget. My goal is to provide as many case details as I can and encourage people to contact authorities with what information they have.

For me, it's a labor of love.

Wonderful site, Iowacoldcases.

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Thanks Jody! This is really a great website. I love the way it is organized and the fact that is gives summaries of each different case. A lot of the state police websites will list their cold cases but don't provide any information about them.

Really interesting - I look forward to talking about some of the cases as I go through them.

Already the one that gets me is the one about Donna Sue Davis. Oh my god. It is so sad they never caught the person who did that to her. It was truly horrendous and vicious.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    There was also a little boy aged 9 name Jimmy Bremmers murdered in Sioux City around the same time. He was also raped and sodomized and his body left on the side of the road.
    Apparently after the murder of Donna panic struck Sioux City and because both victims had been sodomized LE rounded up 'sexual-deviants' meaning homosexual men and put them into mental institutions.

http://www.glapn.org/sodomylaws/usa/iowa/ianews03.htm
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

Donna Sue Davis and Jimmy Bremmers

Thank you, gaia227. Yes, I was aware of the Jimmy Bremmers murder, and, coincidentally enough, interviewed Neil Miller (author of the book "Sex-Crime Panic") for an article in the Weekender back in 2002. The article is reprinted at http://www.jodyewing.com/neil_miller_3_02.html.

Ernest Triplett was prosecuted and convicted for Jimmy's murder, but after serving 17 years in prison, his conviction was overturned and he was released. Originally, I didn't list Jimmy's case on the ICC website because cases are considered closed once there's been a conviction, but I have gone ahead and added a page for him. To this day, no one is certain if Triplett committed the crime, but he maintained his innocence until he died in 1995 at age 90.

I've also updated the Donna Sue Davis page with an abbreviated timeline of events from 1955 - 1970. Yes, this case was tragic beyond words. More people have been inquiring about Donna Sue's case ever since the also-tragic (and very similar) death of three-year-old Evelyn Paniagua-Trejo earlier this month in S. Sioux City. I'm just very thankful Evelyn's killer has been apprehended.