OR - Eldon Smith, 4, dropped from bridge, Portland, 23 May 2009

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
(snips)
Two young children were found in the Willamette River, one dead and one injured, after someone called authorities saying they’d heard screaming near the Sellwood Bridge, according to police.

Police continued to search the river’s banks for through the night, along with boats from the fire bureau and sheriff. Homicide detectives took over the investigation after the boy was found dead.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_052309_news_willamette_children_screaming.bc504c3.html

On May 23, 2009 at about 1:20 a.m. Portland police were called to the area of the Sellwood Bridge regarding sounds of screaming, possibly from the Willamette River.
Upon arrival, officers heard the sounds as well and tried to find their source. Officers searched from both sides of the river. Portland Fire Bureau and Multnomah County River Patrol boats were called to respond. Milwaukie police responded to assist.
A citizen who heard the noise got into their own boat and went out into the river. They found two children, a boy about 3 years old and a girl about 7 years old, in the river and brought them to police on the east side of the river at about 2:10 a.m.
The boy was deceased. The girl was transported to the hospital by ambulance. (more at link)

http://www.katu.com/news/local/45915882.html

A comment at the below linked article states that all the little girl can do is scream, so LE can't get any info out of her. Another theorized that there may have been an accident and the parents are also missing. IMO, at that time of the morning they wouldn't be walking and you don't just fall over the side of a big bridge like that. A car accident would leave damage that would be obvious.

Sadly it appears that the children may have been thrown off the bridge.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/05/two_children_found_in_willamet.html

Since the Mother of these kids hasn't come forward to report them missing, I have to wonder if she is responsible, or if she has also been harmed. Who could do such a horrible thing to two small children??? :eek:

Oh, My! I feel so sorry for that little girl and boy. So I guess there was no sign of a wreck and no one has stepped forward to claim her? How tragic. It sounds as if she was extremely traumatized. Hopefully, they can work with her to discover what happened eventually. It may be very slow going tho. :( My heart breaks for her knowing she is all alone after watching her brother drown.

Is it possible a parent threw the children from the bridge? And if so, why?
We can all think of the horrible reasons why.
No car accident seems to have been found.
No adult in the river either.

I hope the 7 yr old can be helped and recover.

Alot more information at the below link. Good god the kids were in the water almost an hour.

(snips)
Officers arrived within minutes and heard the screams but could not tell where they were coming from, said Officer Greg Pashley of the Portland Police Bureau. The noise moved with the current, from the Sellwood Bridge toward downtown, for about 50 minutes until a resident, who took out a boat after hearing the noise, found the children about a half-mile north of the bridge, Pashley said.

Pashley said he could not release further details, but police are considering every possibility and following some leads. He would not say whether the children had been attacked or injured otherwise, but said detectives were calling the boy's death suspicious. An autopsy is scheduled for today.
Pashley would not say whether police had identified the children or family or whether the girl was able to speak to authorities. "It must have been horrible to go through whatever those children went through."

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/05/two_children_found_in_willamet.html

Bless the resident that took the boat out and found both children and brought them back in to LE. I can't imagine.

How sad and unbelievable this could happen, but yes Kat, Bless this person as he has saved the little girl's life. At UPI I read the little boy died soon after he was found. It just breaks your heart to learn something like that.

I live 15 min away and know the river well. How these 2 children could stay alive in that cold water for almost an hour is a mystery to me. And being thrown off the bridge, you'd think children would die on impact as it's got to be 50 to 60' above the water. I looked, and it is 75' from the water to the center high point, so that is close.

I'll report anything I hear locally. Thank you for all your links and God Bless this little girl as she recovers now. :blowkiss:

sellwood_bridge_oblique.jpg

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hNxGUx0lJ0hAn_GKcg5xhYFQz8YgD98C674G0

This is sad, It was so late in the morning when these babys were in the water, when they should have been home sleeping. I don't like jumping to conclusions but if no one else is in the water, and no one has reported them missing I think it could explain who is responsible for throwing them off the bridge bless both of them babies. :(. Also the link says An autopsy for the boy was pending.

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — The body of a 3-year-old boy was pulled from the Willamette River hours before daybreak Saturday and an injured 7-year-old girl was rescued nearby after residents heard screams on the water.

As police continued to search the broad river that runs through Portland, officials were releasing few details about what they were finding in their investigation.

Police said the boy's death was suspicious, but did not say how he died. Police didn't identify the children, or provide information on the girl's condition

I have to go to the store so think I'll take a drive down to see if there is any search activity. xox

Oh, Scandi! You are so much a member of the WS's family!!! You have been here for a long time, and we have read about, prayed about, and cried over SO many horrible events. It is ironic that an event as horrible as this would happen so close to your home. God Bless you, and God Bless both of those children, and the family that loved them. God Da## anyone that intentionally harmed them! I guess I have to realize that no matter how long I read this stuff, I will never become immune to being hurt and horrified at what happens. I will also never, ever, stop caring and praying for everyone involed.

Don't you think it would be helpful to have a sketch or some general description of the children??? What if the mother is also in harms way somewhere, and the public is not making a connection regarding who the family is??? Surely, a sketch or at least general description of the children would help the public be able to help LE??

The names of the victims have not been released. Police are asking anyone with information about the children and how they ended up in the river to call the department’s public non-emergency telephone line, 503-823-3333.

http://www.thebeenews.com/news/story.php?story_id=124311861319374200

It doesn't make sense to say this if they do not know their names.

I agree. They should have at least put out descriptions of the children if they want to ID them. What if it was a weekend dad and the mother has no idea anything went wrong? A description would be extremely helpful.

Wow, Scandi! This is literally in your backyard. Hugs~ Keep us posted!

Sometimes people with head injuries will scream and scream. I know the little girl is traumatized but wonder if she might have been hit, or hit her head and not be able to tell her name yet.

I think it is really odd, and somewhat incompetent, to put out a request for the public's help with NO information that is helpful to the public. We don't even know the race of these children!!! What are we supposed to do??? What if a family has been kidnapped and the children were tossed over the bridge, but the mother and/or father is still being held captive?? (I doubt that is the situation, but facts cannot prove othewise at this point). I undertand that we can't see pictures of the children, but at least a description of race, hair color, birthmarks, etc. would be of use to friends and family who might make the connection???

The presser should start in a few minutes. I'm not seeing any live links.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColleenFlicker
Back