GUILTY UT - Kimberly Hain, 33, murdered in her West Valley home, 22 May 2009

panthera

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Woman found dead in West Valley home

WEST VALLEY CITY — A man found his wife dead in her bedroom early Friday, with obvious trauma to her head and face, after he returned home from working a night shift, officials said.
The couple's 4-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son were home and sleeping during the woman's "violent death," West Valley Police Capt. Tom McLachlan said.
Investigators ruled out the possibility of a suicide by mid-Friday, and later announced that the death of Kimberly Hain, 33, is considered a homicide.
There was no indication of a heavy struggle, and the house "wasn't in disarray," McLachlan said. Nothing appeared to be missing, and there were no obvious signs of a burglary.
Hain was "lightly clothed" when police found her, and McLachlan said there was no obvious evidence of a sexual assault.
A preliminary autopsy report, which will be issued sometime Saturday, is expected to establish if she was shot or exactly how she died.
Hain had worked in the emergency room of Primary Children's Medical Center for the past 10 years, according to the hospital.
Her husband, Douglas Hain Jr., works graveyard shifts at a local hospital and apparently arrived home at 6616 W. Fanfare Court (3320 South) about 8:20 a.m. He reportedly found his wife in the bedroom.

"She was a wonderful mother," the woman's father-in-law, Douglas Hain Sr., told the Deseret News on Friday. "I can't even imagine who would have killed her."
According to McLachlan, crime-scene detectives went "over all the entrances with a fine-tooth comb" and indicated that so far, they had no reason to believe someone had forced entry into the home.
"There's just no evidence of that," he said, noting that officers have questioned many people whom they believe "had some kind of access (to the home)."
On Friday, yellow tape blocked off the entire circle where the Hain family and their neighbors live, but McLachlan said neighbors shouldn't be "overly concerned" about the neighborhood's safety, calling the slaying an "isolated incident."
A West Valley police mobile command unit had pulled up next to the house by early afternoon. Investigators served a search warrant looking for evidence inside later Friday afternoon.
The victim's husband was taken to police headquarters for questioning — a standard procedure, McLachlan noted, while making it clear that the man was not a suspect.
During the initial stages of the investigation, family members were apparently traveling to the Hain residence from southern Utah, unaware of her death. They were planning on spending the holiday weekend with the family.
Neighbors described Kimberly Hain and her family as extremely nice people, always willing to say hello, especially when they were out walking their dog together.

more at: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705305887/Woman-found-dead-in-WVC.html

uhmm, Another Husband killed his wife???
I'm not sure what to think yet. :waitasec: He was reportedly at work (the night shift) and returned home Friday morning to find her murdered. LE is saying he isn't a suspect but also that it's an "isolated incident" and no forced entry to the house. I wonder if the ME can establish a TOD? Sadly, the two children are young and autistic so it seems they wouldn't be much help to LE.

uhmm, Another Husband killed his wife???

Thats what I thought to untill I read this part The victim's husband was taken to police headquarters for questioning — a standard procedure, McLachlan noted, while making it clear that the man was not a suspect.
Someone in the family though?

Thats what I thought to untill I read this part The victim's husband was taken to police headquarters for questioning — a standard procedure, McLachlan noted, while making it clear that the man was not a suspect.
Someone in the family though?
The article also says the children were sleeping "during the woman's violent death" and yet the husband came home about 8:20am and found her in the bedroom, with no signs of burglary or anything in disarray. So, were the children still asleep when he got home or it is presumed they were when she was killed sometime during the night? At that hour of the morning I'd think the kids would be up wanting breakfast. :confused:

The article also says the children were sleeping "during the woman's violent death" and yet the husband came home about 8:20am and found her in the bedroom, with no signs of burglary or anything in disarray. So, were the children still asleep when he got home or it is presumed they were when she was killed sometime during the night? At that hour of the morning I'd think the kids would be up wanting breakfast. :confused:

I would think they may be up wanting breakfast or may have been sleeping in late on the weekend. It is a confusing story because everyone talks about how she was so nice and so loved and they couldnt imagine anyone hurting her. I have been researching to get a better understanding, and in one article it says he is a nurse nightshift and that they were highschool sweethearts before marrying. Neighbors have said they didn't hear a word.

I would think they may be up wanting breakfast or may have been sleeping in late on the weekend. It is a confusing story because everyone talks about how she was so nice and so loved and they couldnt imagine anyone hurting her. I have been researching to get a better understanding, and in one article it says he is a nurse nightshift and that they were highschool sweethearts before marrying. Neighbors have said they didn't hear a word.
It was Friday morning, so I'd think the oldest child would have school.

Blunt trauma to head killed woman, police say

Published: Sunday, May 24, 2009 2:11 p.m. MDT
WEST VALLEY CITY — Kimberly Hain, a 33-year-old wife and mother, was killed by blunt force trauma to the head and face, according to autopsy results released Saturday by police.

The injuries were caused by an unknown object, said West Valley Police Capt. Tom McLachlan.

Hain's identity was confirmed by police Saturday, one day after the woman was found dead in the bedroom of her suburban home. Hain's two young children were sleeping upstairs when their mother was killed, McLachlan said.

On Friday, police ruled out the possibility of suicide and began investigating the death as a homicide case. Police did not find any signs of forced entry or struggle, and they called the crime and "isolated incident."
Police interviewed Hain's husband Friday but do not consider him a suspect. He had just gotten home from working a graveyard shift when Hain's body was found, according to police.

Authorities have not released other details of the case, including whether Hain's body received other injuries.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705306142/Blunt-trauma-to-head-killed-woman-police-say.html

Oh my bad didn't realize it was Friday, I think they would have been awake ready to start the day. If it isn't the husband which I don't believe it is, I'm sure they checked to see he worked the entire shift. Then possibly someone she trusted and let in, they could have knocked and she recognized them and thought it would be okay to let them in and thats why there is no sign of of breaking in struggle etc. I hope they find out soon.

According to the text on one of the 3 photos linked above, the children discovered the mother's body on Friday a.m. So sad and traumatic for them.

According to the text on one of the 3 photos linked above, the children discovered the mother's body on Friday a.m. So sad and traumatic for them.
Thanks so much ~ I hadn't read the photo captions. As sad as it is, it makes more sense that they got up and went into mom's room. :(

Oh my bad didn't realize it was Friday, I think they would have been awake ready to start the day. If it isn't the husband which I don't believe it is, I'm sure they checked to see he worked the entire shift. Then possibly someone she trusted and let in, they could have knocked and she recognized them and thought it would be okay to let them in and thats why there is no sign of of breaking in struggle etc. I hope they find out soon.
One of the articles also said LE was checking into others who may have had some access to the house. Since she was in the bedroom it seems to me that she was asleep when whoever entered the house and the murder occurred. Being that the husband works at a hospital, it could be easily verified if he was at work the entire shift or not ~ unless he clocked out for his meal break and could've gotten home and back within that time.

One of the articles also said LE was checking into others who may have had some access to the house. Since she was in the bedroom it seems to me that she was asleep when whoever entered the house and the murder occurred. Being that the husband works at a hospital, it could be easily verified if he was at work the entire shift or not ~ unless he clocked out for his meal break and could've gotten home and back within that time.

Or it happened before he went to work. I hope they have a TOD.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_12438146?source=rss

Neighbor Cheryl Vuksinick remembered that Hain, who kept her home squeaky clean, hadn't taken out the garbage Thursday night. She thought about reminding Hain, but it had slipped her mind

Why wasn't the trash taken out Thursday night? Was she even alive then?

Also, the elementary schools in the SL valley are year round. So they would have or not have school depending on what track they are on.

Was it stated he worked for LDS Hospital? I can't remember. That's a good 20 minutes or more from where they lived.

Sorry, don't mean to jump in and appear to take over. I lived and worked not far from where they lived for years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back