Identified! OK - Oklahoma City, 'Sharon Marshall' 8UFOK, Apr'90 - Suzanne Sevakis

future criminologist

Reaction score
I know there are several threads on this in the cold cases forum, but I didn't see one in UID's.

I thought I'd "revive" an old case because I see a few possible matches.

here's the UID, there's a long story attached to this little girl's identity, so make sure you read it first:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/8ufok.html

The Doe Network:
Case File 8UFOK

Unidentified White Female
Known as "Suzanne Davis"; "Sharon Marshall"; "Tonya Hughes"
Died as a result of a hit-and-run accident in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in April 1990
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: Around 1969
DNA: Available

Case History
"Suzanne Davis'" was abducted by Franklin Delano Floyd between June 1973 and August 1975. Her background is unknown, as is her age and true identity. Floyd claims to have taken over as her parent when she was abandoned and raised her under aliases in several states. She was born around 1969.
"Davis" attended school in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in 1975. She graduated from high school in Forest Park, Georgia in 1986. "Davis" then moved to Phoenix, Arizona later in the year and began using the alias "Sharon Marshall."
Investigators discovered child *advertiser censored* in a pickup truck Floyd used. About 40 photographs depict "Davis" from the age of 4 to a pre-teen, displaying her engaging in sexually explicit conduct. These photographs reveal that the defendant was sexually abusing her for a considerable length of time and memorializing the offense conduct. The photographs also included 33 pictures of another female child and 16 of a beaten and tied adult female.
Floyd and this unidentified female were married in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1989 under the aliases of "Clarence Marcus Hughes" and "Tonya Dawn Tadlock." Both of them were wanted in connection with a Florida homicide by April 1990; before any legal proceedings began against them, "Tonya" was killed in a suspicious hit-and-run accident in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Floyd is the main suspect in her death.
"Tonya" gave birth to a son in Tampa, Florida in 1988. The child, Michael Anthony Hughes, was abducted by Floyd on September 12, 1994 -- four years after "Tonya's" death. Floyd walked in to Michael's school in Choctaw, Oklahoma and abducted the child at gunpoint. Floyd also kidnapped Michael's school principal and tied him to a tree. He was found hours later by people working in a nearby yard.
Michael Hughes was living with foster parents when Floyd kidnapped him. Michael has never been found. Floyd has claimed he is living in a foreign country, but authorities presume he is dead. Floyd was arrested and charged with Michael's kidnapping. Floyd is not Michael's biological father.
Floyd has never provided any details about "Tonya's" history. Her son remains missing as well. Floyd used the aliases "Trenton Davis"; "Charles Hughes"; "Warren Judson Marshall"; "Preston Morgan"; and "Kingfish Floyd." He was employed as a painter before his arrest.

and here's what I've come up with for matches:

Anna Christian Waters
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/176dfca.html

Kirste Gordon
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/576dfsau.html

Cynthia Lynn Sumpter
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/334dfca.html

Christina Carter
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2528dfal.html

Jennifer Lee Klein
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1208dfut.html

IMO, Jennifer Klein bares the strongest resemblance to the little girl in the photo. This little girl has to have been reported missing.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Sharon Marshall Part 3

It appears many of those possibles have been ruled out, but I believe a DNA comparison to Christina Carter is pending.

I tend to hold the problematic and likely unpopular opinion that this little girl was never reported missing. Whether she is believed to have died (perhaps as others have suggested, in a house fire where others in the family perished) or simply was not reported missing because her family or those who had custody trafficked her, I'm not sure we will ever know. So many have followed and been touched by her sad story, I wish that all those efforts could be rewarded with some insight into her identity.

future criminologist, thank you for posting this.

This Doe Network page offers a lot of information in a little amount of space- the aliases of Floyd and "Sharon" and information about Michael.

A heads-up for all who have not been closely following the Christina Lynn Carter / Sharon Marshall thread. The cousin of Christina's father (known in WS as MartieLee), has notified us that her cousin (i.e., Christina's father) will be recieving the results of DNA testing this week to determine if Christina is in fact, the kidnapped girl known as Sharon Marshall who was struck by a car and killed in 1990 on an Oklahoma highway.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Christina Lynn Carter Missing September 17, 1973 from Hueytown, Alabama

Sharon Marshall's Doe Page
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/8ufok.html

Christina Carter's Charley page
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/carter_christina.html

To any of you who are unfamiliar with this heartbreaking story, I strongly recommend the book A Beautiful Child by Matt Birkbeck.

Wow! I will be watching for news. And praying!

Salem

I read "A Beautiful Child" about two yrs ago... poor Sharon... that book was very well written...

For those who are willing...a moment of silence, or prayer, or simple collective righteous indignation:

Father God, in Your merciful wisdom, we ask that You shed another brilliant ray of truth and justice upon this dark story. And for the sake of Janet & Christina and their remaining family, please bring this 'Beautiful Child' home.

Amen.

Guys-I am wondering if Tricia will make this headline across the forums if it is match??? Has anyone asked?

Guys, here is something I just saw which is very strange to me given that the DNA ruling was recent???
"AnonYmous says:
8 months ago
Most of the names suggested have been eliminated. Check under Sharon Marshall in Myspace. A list of eliminated names is listed under the blog.

Also, for people who are doing their own searches, Sharon had blonde hair, consistently, so it wasn't likely dyed, and blue eyes. Many of the names suggested have brown eyes. Just something to keep in mind.

Christina Carter, who I think looks the most like her, was not a DNA match.

I think if no one is looking for her, she was born to a run away or someone with no contact with close family. If she wasn't, I would expect her to be on the missing persons website. Also, the sheer lack of clues about Michael shows that this is completely capable of hiding someone where they would never be found.

I hope with all my heart, we can find the answers to this sad story."

I found this on this website:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Cold_Case_Sharon_Marshall

How did this person know the DNA did not match???

At the risk of sounding cynical, does anyone know this is Christy's dad??? I just want to be sure we actually know the rule out has been formally made....

I agree. It's strange that MartieLee has been speaking for the family up until this point, and now someone creates a new username "Christie's Dad". That could be anyone.

I agree. It's strange that MartieLee has been speaking for the family up until this point, and now someone creates a new username "Christie's Dad". That could be anyone.

MartieLee followed up and confirmed the news.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Christina Lynn Carter Missing September 17, 1973 from Hueytown, Alabama

Matt Birkbeck has also confirmed it both in WS and in his blog:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Sharon Marshall Part 4

http://mattbirkbeck.com/blog/?m=201001

I was as sure as I've been on any case that this would be a match. The three-year-old Christie looked so much like a younger version of the five-year-old "Sharon".

Oh well - the mystery continues.

Here is where I am going to ask my dumb question-sharon was tested against floyd, right??? back to lurkdom...

Here is where I am going to ask my dumb question-sharon was tested against floyd, right??? back to lurkdom...

Floyd was in prison at the time that Sharon would have been conceived, so they do know that he is not her father.

I don't know that they have been compared by DNA.

As I understand it, a female's paternal line cannot be determined through DNA testing because paternity test is performed via the Y-chromosome (which is only present in males). The only way a female's father can be determined is if she has a known brother who can be tested.

Floyd was in prison at the time that Sharon would have been conceived, so they do know that he is not her father.

I don't know that they have been compared by DNA.

As I understand it, a female's paternal line cannot be determined through DNA testing because paternity test is performed via the Y-chromosome (which is only present in males). The only way a female's father can be determined is if she has a known brother who can be tested.

If Floyd and Sharon had common female ancestors, there might be some value in a MtDNA test...because something tells me Floyd was a product of incest or at least a witness to it....just trying to find a way to ID her with data already at hand....as far fetched as it might sound.

If Floyd and Sharon had common female ancestors, there might be some value in a MtDNA test...because something tells me Floyd was a product of incest or at least a witness to it....just trying to find a way to ID her with data already at hand....as far fetched as it might sound.

mtDNA testing involving a male is only valid if the male is in the last position of the ancestral line being tested. All other links in the chain must be female. For example, a male could be tested against the mtDNA of his mother, maternal grandmother, and her mother, (as well as the sisters and daughters of those women) but his daughter could not be tested along the same line because the chain of inheritance stops at the male.

Could we get Sharons DNA entered into the same databases as BK's are in to trace family tree? Or is that a no because of the Y-chromosome. I am fast learning about all the DNA stuff...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back