Auction websites sell "murder memorabilia"?

Do we know who is profiting from the sale of these items? I've seen a talking head speak about these auctions and I can't remember exactly who it was. I want to say Ablow. I could be wrong though.

Murder Memorabilia, and the web sites & auction sites that sell it are disgusting.

It is wrong on so many levels.

To 'glamorize' these killers is sickening.
The disrepect caused to the victims and their loved ones is heart breaking.
For anyone to actually profit from murder in such a way should be illegal.

I recently read that people (mainly families of famous homicide victims) are working hard to make the selling of these so-called collector's items illegal.

I remember many years ago people were buying paintings (mostly of clowns I think) done by John Wayne Gacy. It was really the "in" thing to do at the time by mostly wealthy people.

To me that is only bringing evil into your home. I remember thinking how could anyone want anything he touched or especially something created from his demented mind.

I hope this isn't off topic but the subject reminded me of that.

Do we know who is profiting from the sale of these items? I've seen a talking head speak about these auctions and I can't remember exactly who it was. I want to say Ablow. I could be wrong though.

I don't know Kat, I hadn't heard about anything like this before. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, although it makes you wonder what kind of people would bid on something like this? or even buy something like this?

smart blonde,

I agree it is awful, just awful. Hopefully the families will be able to get this stopped.

montana 16,

Yes, I remember that too about John Gacy. I hadn't thought about it being like bringing evil into your home but its a very good point. Wealthy or not it still makes you wonder what kind of person would purchase something like this, huh?

smart blonde,

I agree it is awful, just awful. Hopefully the families will be able to get this stopped.

montana 16,

Yes, I remember that too about John Gacy. I hadn't thought about it being like bringing evil into your home but its a very good point. Wealthy or not it still makes you wonder what kind of person would purchase something like this, huh?

Yes imamaze, it does make you wonder. The reason it was mainly wealthy people buying it was because those paintings went for a very hefty price.

I don't remember who received the money for them though. Out of curiosity I think I'll look that up when I have the time.

Yes imamaze, it does make you wonder. The reason it was mainly wealthy people buying it was because those paintings went for a very hefty price.

I don't remember who received the money for them though. Out of curiosity I think I'll look that up when I have the time.

His children/relatives received some if not all of the money from his paintings.

These sites are common now; it's sick as hell. There is exploitation all around, as people on the outside are needed to transact the business end. They sell letters, body fluids (yes), artwork, clothing, hair, nail clippings, shoes, anything and everything with the inmate's signature or prison issue number. Sometimes (but not always) it's not even perpetuated by the inmate him- or herself. A corrupt guard or other prison employee can make a buck off of some of the above items to which they have access. So can a so-called pen pal writing under a guise of friendship or "more." But usually the prisoner profits also, and so is induced to keep "putting out," as it were, and the skids get greased all down the line.

This has been going on for years, like 20 or more. The most famous one is Gacy and his paintings, but the websites selling this stuff have flourished. Honestly, my biggest complaint about the art is that it's no good. I mean really, if it wasn't done by someone infamous, who would pay for it? It's mostly high school art class quality at best.

Depending on the state, the criminals can't make money off it, but the people who are pimping it do things like send them more art supplies.

I don't know if I would make it illegal, but I find it distasteful and wouldn't want the stuff in my house.

I knew someone when I was younger who had a Gacy painting (a creepy ,garish clown very badly done)& who claimed to have corresponded with Gacy.
Prior to actually seeing the painting I thought this person was "cool" & as Ive always been a True Crime nut I had no issue with it...........until I saw the painting.The phrase "bringing evil into your home"is apt.........it literally made me feel ill & changed my feelings about this person & my feelings about my interest in crime & certain people around me (I had an acquaintance who wrote to Manson-supposedly) .............there is no valid reason for anyone to sell,buy or "collect" anything like this .I think people who feel the need to collect manson's hair spiders & Gacy clowns etc are themselves ill or wounded souls & in my experience I have been right.
I was disgusted that one of Bernardo/Holmolka's only KNOWN living victim's Aunt was selling her letters from Karla,they had been friends which is how Karla got access to the victim,on Ebay .She claimed the money went to the victim.......I dont care........you are preying on one persons mental illness with anothers illness .Its sick.These "famous criminals"need to be locked away to be studied & then forgotten......not fawned over or idolized!!!!!!!:mad:

I have less of a problem with the sale of artwork, probably because I have a friend whose brother is an incredibly gifted artist who spent 25 years in Angola for murder, and he sold artwork at the Rodeo and also through other legitimate channels and even had a gallery show at the local Chamber of Commerce while incarcerated. The other items just skeeve me out completely. How is that we, as a society, place value on things of that nature? It's hard enough for me to understand why somebody would buy Britney Spear's used chewing gum and cigarette butt, but many people bid online for them. But she is at least a marginally talented public figure. Where is the value in a sick murderer's fingernails? Who buys stuff like that? They are every bit as sick, in my book.

I was wondering where my post went:waitasec:
Thank you imamaze:)
I didn't mean to offend anyone, I just find auction websites a good resource for rare pictures and documents etc. I'd never buy anything.
I didn't even think about who profits from the stuff, I noticed one of the sites sell copies of documents as well. They probably make those themselves and profits from it.:rolleyes:

This has been going on for years, like 20 or more. The most famous one is Gacy and his paintings, but the websites selling this stuff have flourished. Honestly, my biggest complaint about the art is that it's no good. I mean really, if it wasn't done by someone infamous, who would pay for it? It's mostly high school art class quality at best.

Depending on the state, the criminals can't make money off it, but the people who are pimping it do things like send them more art supplies.

I don't know if I would make it illegal, but I find it distasteful and wouldn't want the stuff in my house.

I agree and it has been going on for years.

John Waters, the director is a big investor in murder memorabilia too. He has a rather large collection. Also, I asw a show on TV about people who collect this stuff and they stay in touch with the criminals, some even call their homes. Just sick and very hurtful to the victims. Seems like a rather large business now.

Gozgals

I agree and it has been going on for years.

John Waters, the director is a big investor in murder memorabilia too. He has a rather large collection. Also, I asw a show on TV about people who collect this stuff and they stay in touch with the criminals, some even call their homes. Just sick and very hurtful to the victims. Seems like a rather large business now.

Gozgals
You lead me to mentioning something Ive been mulling over...............

John Waters is a huge true crime "fan" (like many of us,in all honestly,could be considered here at WS)he used to attend numerous trials & follows certain cases closely NOW how do you go from an 'interested person' to one who collects (& in some cases corresponds with)"famous"killers? What is separating "us" (concerned,interested,curious etc people) from "them"(the interested,curious ,collectors ,corresponders etc)?How does the 'line' get crossed? Ive followed the Bernardo/Homolka case for years yet I have NO desire to write Paul or buy a Karla letter from Ebay .....why is that?
I think its because WE identify with the VICTIMS whereas the "collector/groupies" identify FOR SOME REASON (not saying all reasons are suspect.They just do....)with the CRIMINAL

Am I saying they lack sympathy for the victims/families? Some might but some might not.Do I think John Waters is evil? No & although he refers to himself as a "sick puppy" I dont think hes a killer nor do I think he condones it.He just "ticks"differently but I do think alot of these "collectors" have issues & their "curiousity" is unhealthy (& Im speaking from experience!) & they lack empathy,sympathy & understanding.I think collecting this 'chit' allows them to wallow in their dysfunction .

I have less of a problem with the sale of artwork, probably because I have a friend whose brother is an incredibly gifted artist who spent 25 years in Angola for murder, and he sold artwork at the Rodeo and also through other legitimate channels and even had a gallery show at the local Chamber of Commerce while incarcerated. The other items just skeeve me out completely. How is that we, as a society, place value on things of that nature? It's hard enough for me to understand why somebody would buy Britney Spear's used chewing gum and cigarette butt, but many people bid online for them. But she is at least a marginally talented public figure. Where is the value in a sick murderer's fingernails? Who buys stuff like that? They are every bit as sick, in my book.
HOW is your friend's brother artwork marketed?? Is it marketed simply as artwork (that just so happens to be made by an incarcerated artist) OR is it marketed as "INSERT FAMOUS CRIMINALS NAME HERE 'S"artwork? To me thats the difference.I have no problem with an inmate being allowed to produce art(I think its healthy)as long as they do not profit from it (that money should go #1 to a victims fund & #2 back to the prison towards their keep & #3 their family) but it should be marketed with the ART being the focus NOT the artist *AND* things like hair ,fingernail clippings are NOT art & should NOT be allowed to be sold.Its tacky ,shock value crap that is exploitative & should be,imo,illegal.

Murder Memorabilia, and the web sites & auction sites that sell it are disgusting.

It is wrong on so many levels.

To 'glamorize' these killers is sickening.
The disrepect caused to the victims and their loved ones is heart breaking.
For anyone to actually profit from murder in such a way should be illegal.

I recently read that people (mainly families of famous homicide victims) are working hard to make the selling of these so-called collector's items illegal.

I agree!

I remember many years ago people were buying paintings (mostly of clowns I think) done by John Wayne Gacy. It was really the "in" thing to do at the time by mostly wealthy people.

To me that is only bringing evil into your home. I remember thinking how could anyone want anything he touched or especially something created from his demented mind.

I hope this isn't off topic but the subject reminded me of that.

I think that anyone who registers at either one of those sites is inviting ID theft, if not more.. I am not sure it is even safe to have the links on WS, because someone might register to " look" at more categories, etc.

I remember the paintings by Gacy, too. There's still some Gacy memorabilia which comes up in an eBay search for " Pogo".
When he was in clown costume, he called himself " Pogo".
I found this out very innocently about a week ago because I wanted to buy the game site Pogo,com toaster, which is no longer available for sale.

You lead me to mentioning something Ive been mulling over...............

John Waters is a huge true crime "fan" (like many of us,in all honestly,could be considered here at WS)he used to attend numerous trials & follows certain cases closely NOW how do you go from an 'interested person' to one who collects (& in some cases corresponds with)"famous"killers? What is separating "us" (concerned,interested,curious etc people) from "them"(the interested,curious ,collectors ,corresponders etc)?How does the 'line' get crossed? Ive followed the Bernardo/Homolka case for years yet I have NO desire to write Paul or buy a Karla letter from Ebay .....why is that?
I think its because WE identify with the VICTIMS whereas the "collector/groupies" identify FOR SOME REASON (not saying all reasons are suspect.They just do....)with the CRIMINAL

Am I saying they lack sympathy for the victims/families? Some might but some might not.Do I think John Waters is evil? No & although he refers to himself as a "sick puppy" I dont think hes a killer nor do I think he condones it.He just "ticks"differently but I do think alot of these "collectors" have issues & their "curiousity" is unhealthy (& Im speaking from experience!) & they lack empathy,sympathy & understanding.I think collecting this 'chit' allows them to wallow in their dysfunction .

Very well-said. I consider myself a true crime "fan". No, I wouldn't buy any of this murderabilia but I'm also fascinated by it. I absolutely 100% identify with the victims and do NOT think the murderers are "cool" or anything like that. The whole thing just fascinates me, to be quite honest. How someone can kill another fascinates me. Not in a good way, like, "That's awesome!" But in another way that I can't really explain. I just want to know what's in their heads. How did they get that way? Why? When? How does it come to that?

I do think it's sick to sell/buy sell this stuff but I also understand it, in a way. Although, I don't think a lot of the people buying/selling come from the same place I do. I think some of them (not all) are those sickos who don't identify with or care about the victims. It takes all kinds in this world, that's for sure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marlenewatches
Back