553 users online (80 members and 473 guests)  

Websleuths News

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    heaven bound

    Toddler Dies After Swallowing A Battery

    How sad and heart-breaking.

    FORT LUPTON, Colo. -- A rosary service was held Thursday night for 2-year-old Elaina Redding, who bled to death three weeks after a swallowing a button-sized battery.

    Elaina's mother, Donna Ryan, told Denver television station KMGH her family is unsure how Elaina got the battery in her mouth but they later determined it probably came from a small, electronic game.

    "It was from a hand-held Yahtzee, an electronic game," said Elaina's father, A.J. Redding.

    The girl swallowed the battery on May 2 and started clutching her chest, saying it hurt, her parents said. Elaina's parents took her to Platte Valley Medical Center in Brighton, where X-rays revealed the problem.
    more: http://www.wsbtv.com/health/19599996/detail.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Planet Earth
    WOW!!!!! How incredibly sad.

    I consider myself very well informed when it comes to dangers to children, and I have NEVER heard of this being such a problem. Obviously, swallowing anything small is a choking hazard, I just never realized that this can cause death in 8 hours.

    Quoted from the article:

    Ten percent of kids who swallow button batteries die, according to the poison center. That's because batteries lodged in the esophagus can cause severe burns in just two hours. Within six hours, the battery can eat through the esophagus or the organ they are lodged against, and within eight to 10 hours, it can cause death.

    Battery removal is done with an endoscope. Surgery is rarely, if ever, indicated. Experts say do not give your child ipecac if he or she has swallowed a battery.

    I wonder why they say "Surgery is rarely, if ever, indicated." ????

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    oh my gosh oh my gosh how sad! how many of my 4 year old's toys are battery operated with NO screw cover? so so sad
    Find Brian Shaffer!!

    Janet Christiansen, Kaiden, and Family, justice WILL prevail!


    ~*Cancel my subscription, I'm THROUGH with your issues*~

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    In my own reality...it's nicer here.
    Just sounded the alarm throughout my entire house full of kids...KEEP THOSE BATTERIES PUT UP! I find batteries all over the place, they remove dead ones from Toys and whatnot and just leave the old one lay. Not anymore though, I just read them this story, they looked at our 4 y/o twins and cringed.
    I'm so sorry this happened to this family.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Just saw a story on this on Inside Edition a few days ago. I was horrified. They had a little boy who swallowed one and went to the hospital relatively quickly. By the time they got the battery out, he had third degree type burns (chemical) to his esophagus.

    If it is stuck in the esophagus, you can get it out with an endoscope but if it travels further or can't grab it with the scope, surgery would be needed.

    They showed the little boy intubated, on vent, in ICU. He did make a full recovery though. Scary!

    Yet another thing you have to watch!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I just emailed this article to my daughter in Virginia. All of my grandchildren have gadgets with batteries. They are 5, 8, 13, and 16.

    This is so incredibly heartbreaking for Elaina and her parents. GB this family. There is another little angel in heaven now.
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

Similar Threads

  1. NJ - Neha Anand, 17 mos, dies after falling into pond, 9 April 2009
    By Lovejac in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 11:32 AM
  2. TX - Cameron Boone, 3, dies in hot car, Houston, 14 Aug 2008
    By Texana in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 08:08 AM
  3. Boy dies from swallowing pool water
    By pixies in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 06:44 PM
  4. TX - Gerald Miranda, 3, dies after finding loaded gun, San Antonio, 21 Dec 2007
    By TGIRecovered in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 10:17 AM
  5. TX - Mariah Puga, 3, mauled to death by dogs, Hargill, 25 July 2006
    By Beyond Belief in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-31-2006, 01:27 PM