Ga. High School Holds Segregated Proms

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
LYONS, Ga. — Decades after the Supreme Court ended school segregation, high school students in rural Lyons, Ga., are still separated from their peers of other races — at the prom.

At Toombs County High School (search), there are three separate dances: one for blacks, one for whites and this year for the first time, one for Hispanics.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120020,00.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really meant to post this article...please read different school interesting situation.

The students of Montgomery High School refer to the set of dances as "white-folks prom" and "black-folks prom," which are organized by committees outside the school with help from parents. Perhaps the most disturbing twist is that all students are invited to the "black-folks prom," though whites seldom attend. Students say the unspoken rule for the white prom is black students aren't welcomed

http://livesteez.com/news/read/Segre...outh/1938.html

The only thing I can think to post without getting banned is WTH is that entire town thinking?!?!?!?!

I'm sitting here blinking my eyes very rapidly. This can't be true. I second what tichad3 said.

I listened to a blurb about this on the radio this morning. They said that there is no racial tension in the town there is plenty of biracial couples and the kids are friends throughout the year. But this was a 'tradition" started by their PARENTS and so they just do it . They also said that the black prom is open to anyone that wants to go. I guess they have tried holding integrated proms, but no one shows up..so the school stopped sponsoring them.
good grief.

I POSTED THE WRONG ARTICLE!! LOL. this is the one I meant to post about:
oops..this is the school I meant to post about LOL:

Read this please..
http://livesteez.com/news/read/Segre...outh/1938.html
The students of Montgomery High School refer to the set of dances as "white-folks prom" and "black-folks prom," which are organized by committees outside the school with help from parents. Perhaps the most disturbing twist is that all students are invited to the "black-folks prom," though whites seldom attend. Students say the unspoken rule for the white prom is black students aren't welcomed

http://livesteez.com/news/read/Segr...nd-White-Students-in-the-Deep-South/1938.html

Wow. Just...wow. Really? Segregated? As in, only whites allowed at one prom, etc.etc?

The reason I found the article (I meant to post) so interesting is because the kids seem to be blindly following what their parents tell them to do.even though they must know it is wrong.

I feel this wave of nausea coming over me.

My husband and I have many family pictures adorning the walls of my little girl's bedroom. One of her favorites is the photo of Mommy and Daddy in "dorky" clothes at your typical 80's high school Prom. My daughter is a wonderful, kind-hearted, sensitive and loving little girl. She also happens to be bi-racial. Reading this article, I am at a loss of words as a Mommy and as a Wife. I want my little girl to continue to see that picture and instantly giggle and comment on my poofy-sleeved taffetta monstrosity and Daddy's hideous baby-blue (gag, choke) "matching" tux/disaster. I don't want her to think, "Gee, in that Georgia town they wouldn't even be together for the prom...". Am I just naive in my belief that we had somehow evolved in this country??!!??

JMO.....

And now there's even a separate dance for Hispanics? At least the school sounds like it's diverse but a silly tradition. But, I suppose if some towns can have separate racial chambers of commerce which is ridiculous IMO, then students should do what with their own proms if they want and doesn't bother them. Their parents are paying the salaries of the town and school with their taxes, but the students should be the ones who decide.

What is needed is for black couples to show for the white prom, then file a law suit.

Wow. Seriously. I just don't know what to say or how this is in any way okay.

"Black members of the student council say they have asked school administration to consider hosting a school-sponsored prom for all seniors and made efforts to collaborate with white prom planners with no success."

"“Most of the students do want to have a prom together. But it’s the white parents who say no. … They’re like, if you’re going with the black people; I’m not going to pay for it.” "

Is a white person allowed to be in the Ms. Black USA pageant? Is there a Ms. White USA pageant? Imagine that!!!

Why is it ok for whites to be segregated but not other races?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back