758 users online (105 members and 653 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

FL - Olivia Madison Garcia, 1, dies of head trauma, Ocoee, 4 Oct 2008

We've learned the oldest daughter of Billy Bob Thornton has been charged with child neglect in the death of a 1-year-old she was babysitting.

Amanda Brumfield told cops the child died in October after falling from her playpen, but a spokesman for the Ocoee Police Department said Amanda Brumfield's story didn't add up.

An autopsy determined the child suffered a fractured skull and a subdural hematoma due to blunt trauma.
    more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/05/31/billy-...ter--arrested/

From same article

UPDATE -- A rep for Thornton sent TMZ this statement: "Mr. Thornton is estranged from Amanda and has had no contact with her for quite some time, however when informed about this situation he commented that, 'Anytime a baby's life is lost is an unimaginable tragedy and my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones.'"

How old is Amanda? I couldn't find that. TIA for anyone that knows.

She looks like her father. Curious wording with the use of "estranged". It makes me think there is more to that use of wording that meets the eye. I don't see why his name was drug into it but I'm a bit obtuse today.

I'm sorry for the family that lost their precious child.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    How old is Amanda? I couldn't find that. TIA for anyone that knows.

She looks like her father. Curious wording with the use of "estranged". It makes me think there is more to that use of wording that meets the eye. I don't see why his name was drug into it but I'm a bit obtuse today.

I'm sorry for the family that lost their precious child.
    According to this article, she's 29:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05312009...or__171860.htm

Thanks Hester for the article. She's a grown woman and should face the full consequences of the death of the child she was left in charge of...
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

Quote Originally Posted by Indianagirl View Post
    From same article

UPDATE -- A rep for Thornton sent TMZ this statement: "Mr. Thornton is estranged from Amanda and has had no contact with her for quite some time, however when informed about this situation he commented that, 'Anytime a baby's life is lost is an unimaginable tragedy and my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones.'"
    Maybe it's just me, but this child is still Thornton's grandchild. What's with "my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones?" Shouldn't he be considered family, a loved one?

Quote Originally Posted by Trino View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but this child is still Thornton's grandchild. What's with "my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones?" Shouldn't he be considered family, a loved one?
    She was the babysitter for the child. I don't think she was the mother.

So this happened last October? Wonder why she wasn't charged earlier?

FL - Olivia Madison Garcia, 1, dies of head trauma, Ocoee, 4 Oct 2008

http://www.bnd.com/167/story/789864....k=omni_popular

Report: Billy Bob Thornton's daughter charged in girl's death
    The Associated Press

OCOEE, Fla. -- The oldest daughter of Billy Bob Thornton faces charges in the death of a 1-year-old girl she was babysitting in October, a celebrity gossip Web site reported Sunday.

Ocoee (oh COH' ee) police confirmed that 29-year-old Amanda Brumfield is charged with child neglect causing harm or disability and was in custody.

Web site tmz.com reported she is Thornton's daughter, but police spokesman Lee Stephens said the police records department was closed Sunday and he couldn't find out whether Brumfield is related to Thornton.

Brumfield told detectives that a girl she was babysitting hit her head in a fall in an Ocoee home on Oct. 3, Detective James Berish said in a news release. Brumfield called for help more than two hours later when she couldn't revive the girl, police in the city near Orlando said.

An autopsy determined the girl had a fractured skull and brain injury. The medical examiner ruled the death a homicide and said the explanation Brumfield gave was inconsistent with the child's injuries, police said.

Thornton's publicist Arnold Robinson said the actor has not had contact with Brumfield for quite some time.

He wouldn't confirm that Brumfield was the woman arrested, but that when Thornton was "informed about this situation" he commented that, "Anytime a baby's life is lost is an unimaginable tragedy and my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones."

Police did not know whether Brumfield had an attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by analytical View Post
    http://www.bnd.com/167/story/789864....k=omni_popular

Report: Billy Bob Thornton's daughter charged in girl's death
    The Associated Press

OCOEE, Fla. -- The oldest daughter of Billy Bob Thornton faces charges in the death of a 1-year-old girl she was babysitting in October, a celebrity gossip Web site reported Sunday.

Ocoee (oh COH' ee) police confirmed that 29-year-old Amanda Brumfield is charged with child neglect causing harm or disability and was in custody.

Web site tmz.com reported she is Thornton's daughter, but police spokesman Lee Stephens said the police records department was closed Sunday and he couldn't find out whether Brumfield is related to Thornton.

Brumfield told detectives that a girl she was babysitting hit her head in a fall in an Ocoee home on Oct. 3, Detective James Berish said in a news release. Brumfield called for help more than two hours later when she couldn't revive the girl, police in the city near Orlando said.

An autopsy determined the girl had a fractured skull and brain injury. The medical examiner ruled the death a homicide and said the explanation Brumfield gave was inconsistent with the child's injuries, police said.

Thornton's publicist Arnold Robinson said the actor has not had contact with Brumfield for quite some time.

He wouldn't confirm that Brumfield was the woman arrested, but that when Thornton was "informed about this situation" he commented that, "Anytime a baby's life is lost is an unimaginable tragedy and my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones."

Police did not know whether Brumfield had an attorney.
    Thank you for posting this. I caught some of this on HLN and misunderstood part of it.

So, the incident happened October 3, 2008. Seven months before she was charged and arrested. I heard she is a mother to 2 children. I hope they are in the care of someone who loves them.

My heart goes out to the families affected by this.
    Just striving to be average.

Thank you for posting this. I caught some of this on HLN and misunderstood part of it.

So, the incident happened October 3, 2008. Seven months before she was charged and arrested. I heard she is a mother to 2 children. I hope they are in the care of someone who loves them.

My heart goes out to the families affected by this.
    You're welcome

Thornton's ex and mother of the woman is defending her daughter likening the matter to Natasha Richardson's death -

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,523842,00.html

This was featured on Nancy Grace tonight. They also released the 911 tapes, and aired them as well.

My thoughts and prayers really go out to the family. How terrible.

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    I am surprised there wasn't an agg. murder charge filed in light of the autopsy results!

Yeah, I watched this on NG last night too. Horrible, senseless tragedy. I heard she was watching not only Olivia, the baby that died but Olivia's sibling and her own two children that night. From the autopsy results I'm thinking not so good thoughts about this chick. Sounds like she might have been overwhelmed watching the 4 of them and lashed out at Olivia if perhaps she was cranky/fussy.

This would probably fall under the category of hearsay, so it could be wrong, however--here goes: I had heard that Billy Bob Thornton was physically abusive to his first wife-- I thought that was the reason for their divorce. It seems that I recall the kids were abused, too, so it seems quite possible that his daughter was also a victim, and is keeping the cycle of abuse going.
    Again--I could be wrong about the kids but did hear that he abused his wife (not Angelina Jolie who I think was his second wife).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast