1221 users online (259 members and 962 guests)  

Websleuths News

Last remaining Titanic survivor Millvina Dean dies at 97

http://www.timescolonist.com/Last+re...923/story.html

LONDON — Millvina Dean, the last remaining survivor of the sinking of the Titanic, died Sunday at a care home in England, the BBC reported, citing two of her friends. She was 97.

Dean was a two-month-old baby and her family were emigrating to Kansas when the Titanic sank after hitting an iceberg in the Atlantic Ocean on its maiden voyage in 1912.

The sinking of the Titanic happened on the same day as my birthday. As a child the story of this ship fascinated me because of that connection. Now the last of her passengers is gone. RIP MS Dean.
    Last edited by Paintr; 05-31-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: typo
    JMO

Millvina Dean
    JMO

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    My grandfather (who is now deceased) saved the special edition newspaper that came out the day after the Titanic sunk. He told me the paper boy stood out on the corner giving out papers from the back of his horse and buggy - very different times. My grandmother gave it to me yrs ago because I am a bit of a history 'buff' and save, collect stuff like that.

It is sad and nostaligic to think all the survivors are gone. I was thinking about that the other day with WWII - I will probably live to see the last WWII vet pass away. It just doesn't seem that long ago but it was.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

Was talking to a vet the other day and he was talking about how there are fewer WW II vets every year for Rememberance Day (Canada) ceremonies.

It is nice that you have the newspaper. Can't be too many of those around.
    JMO

On our Denver news station, they mentioned that Kate Winslett and Leonardo DiCapprio (sp) both paid towards some of Ms. Dean's care in her last years. I am not sure how much either contributed, but it was heartwarming to hear.

May she rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyz_Mum View Post
    On our Denver news station, they mentioned that Kate Winslett and Leonardo DiCapprio (sp) both paid towards some of Ms. Dean's care in her last years. I am not sure how much either contributed, but it was heartwarming to hear.

May she rest in peace.

May she rest in peace. She lived a long life and I hope it was a happy one.

It is wonderful to hear that Leo and Kate donated to her care the last few years. Very generous and kind to do that. It shows you the kindness of some people, even actors.

gozgals

Unhappy

Oh, how sad, I hadn't heard this

May she RIP.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.