Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Found this data for the flight - great site.

http://www.weathergraphics.com/tim/af447/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trino For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trino View Post
    If passengers lost consciousness, maybe that's a blessing.

News this a.m. says the black box in water may only ping for a short time. The world may never know what happened, although it seems the storm played a major role in the disaster.
    It's just our natural instinct to want to know all the answers. I wonder about pilot competence - my husband was telling me that pilots can usually navigate through/around a storm these days, and such a huge airbus withstand bad weather/lightning.

But I'm sure lightning is unpredectible sometimes. It's hard for me to understand how an electrical system with no backup could be knocked out so easily.

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    As ****** said they are finding debris in the Atlantic. Some seat cushions, metal debris and what looks like oil. Link below.

It must have all happend very, very fast for the pilots to not have had time to put out a distress call. IF they ever find the black box it will be interesting to see what actually happened. I was reading this morning that when a plane flies through t-storms ice crystals can form along the plane charging it with static electricity making it more susceptible for lightening strikes.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31057560
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Oh yeah - I wanted to ask, ****** you might now as you seem to have some knowledge about airplanes and flying - could the pilot not have dropped to a lower altitude in order to fly under the storm?
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

Thanks ******! Shows how much I know! When I actually think about it it was kinda a dumb question - if anything it would make more sense to ask if they could fly over it not under.

From what I have seen of computer reenactments on the news they make it look like he should flew right through the middle of it instead of trying to go around. If the pilots had radar telling them there were t-storms head is there any indication they did try to go around and just couldn't?

I hope this is not another case of pilots not being properly trained to handle situations. From what the black box revealed in the flight that went down in Buffalo the two pilots were not and knew they weren't prepared to handle the situation with the ice.
    --Ghandi

See everyone says im crazy because I am too terrified to get on an airplane, well this is why. I cant imagine free falling to my death. Im scared of heights anyways. I feel so bad for all of the families suffering right now. I read somewhere that they may have found some signs of the plane wreckage.

Yep here it is http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americ...ing/index.html
    The couple they mention in the article were from a town really close to me. It was on our local news last night.

deep in the countryside of northern Alabama

I have a question too, if the plane was hit by lightning, for example in and engine or even a fuel tank, how much time would it have had to send out these automatic warning signals? Could such a thing have happened and the signals were sent out so fast like as the plane was descending? It's such an awful story, and it's a morbid fascination to know what happened and to get answers but hopefully they were all unaware of what was happening. I am terrified to fly after my last experience but I'm going to Europe next week with my little girl. If she wasn't going with me I'd be highly sedated, tipsy, something....

Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    You're not crazy. If you are frightened by it don't fly, it's nothing to be ashamed of. I'm flying to New York on Thursday and will be flying back from the same airport that was used by the plane that ended up in the Hudson and I have no worries whatsoever, but I fly a lot and I am a private pilot as well. (I've got 4 legs, 3 are on an Airbus 320 and the other is on a 757).

An interesting note is that an unusually high percentage of airline pilots are afraid of heights - they can fly the planes 7 miles up but are unable to go out on the hotel balcony when they get there. I don't have a source but I've read this many times over the years...

Wow I cant imagine being a pilot and being scared of heights haha.

Arrow

The pilots on that flight (there are 3, 2 flying and 1 relief so nobody gets tired) had LOADS of experience. Air France has very good pilots, I doubt inexperience was an issue.
    I haven't flown since Sept. 11th, for fear of being a sitting duck, but when we flew to Tahiti and back for our honeymoon(over 8 hour flight) we went on Air France, and I felt fairly secure in a large jet. Air France had an excellent track record as far as crashes.
    Please help locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff and bring them home.

I'm a Helicopter Parent- I know where my child is, and she's no less intelligent or creative for it.

Travis Alexander was the victim of Domestic Violence.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

You're not crazy. If you are frightened by it don't fly, it's nothing to be ashamed of. I'm flying to New York on Thursday and will be flying back from the same airport that was used by the plane that ended up in the Hudson and I have no worries whatsoever, but I fly a lot and I am a private pilot as well. (I've got 4 legs, 3 are on an Airbus 320 and the other is on a 757).

An interesting note is that an unusually high percentage of airline pilots are afraid of heights - they can fly the planes 7 miles up but are unable to go out on the hotel balcony when they get there. I don't have a source but I've read this many times over the years...
    Hi ******! I can understand the last part about pilots being afraid of height. You wouldn't be able to pay me enough to stand on the observation deck of, for example, the Statue of Liberty, or even a cruise ship ~ but I love to fly (in commercial aircraft)!! I think it's because of the enclosure of the airplane that gives the feeling of not being out there where one could get pushed over a railing or fall off.

The sad part about this particular crash is that the wreckage is strewn miles over the Atlantic Ocean, down in the depths and swept away with the waves.
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

That's right - inside the cockpit you cannot see straight down.
    I actually love a window seat also!

From the latest updates, it states recovering the black boxes will be "extremely challenging" .

"“We are in a race against the clock in extremely difficult weather conditions and in a zone where depths reach up to 7,000 meters (22,966 feet),” French Prime Minister Francois Fillon told lawmakers in parliament Tuesday ."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31057560/

To me it would seem nearly impossible.
    Rest in Peace

Damned near. There are maybe half a dozen vessels that can make it below 3,000 meters and I don't know of any in service that can make it to 7,000. The US has DSV-4 which is good to 6,100 and the French have Nautile that can make it to 6,000. The Japanese had an unmanned one that could go deeper but they lost it recently.

http://www.ifremer.fr/fleet/systemes...ns/nautile.htm

http://www.fas.org/programs/ssp/man/...intel/dsv.html
    Very interesting information ~ thanks! It's too bad about the Japanese vessel which may have been able to help.
    Rest in Peace

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...902421,00.html

Malfunction? Starting with paragraph 5 - comparing AF 447 to another near crash. The computer disregarded healthy info and went with rogue info.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trino For This Useful Post:

Great minds think alike, I see...
    Thanks to both you and Trino for the links ~ now I'm wondering if the lightning could've caused a computer malfunction on Flight 447?

Thanks also for having a good discussion on this tragedy here.
    Rest in Peace

18. The Following User Says Thank You to panthera For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast