Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaBrown23 View Post
    See everyone says im crazy because I am too terrified to get on an airplane, well this is why. I cant imagine free falling to my death. Im scared of heights anyways. I feel so bad for all of the families suffering right now. I read somewhere that they may have found some signs of the plane wreckage.

Yep here it is http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americ...ing/index.html
    The couple they mention in the article were from a town really close to me. It was on our local news last night.
    Your are not crazy. A lot of people are scared to fly. I didn't get on an airplane until I was 22 yrs old because I was so scared to fly but I wanted to go to NYC really bad. My fear is for the same reasons as yours.

Now that I live in NYC and my family is in Missouri I have to fly much more than I ever wanted but thankfully it is a short flight and it does get easier but I will never feel comfortable - or even anywhere near comfrotable. I don't know if I will ever be able to conquer an overseas flight. That makes my stomach turn just thinking about it.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    You're not crazy. If you are frightened by it don't fly, it's nothing to be ashamed of. I'm flying to New York on Thursday and will be flying back from the same airport that was used by the plane that ended up in the Hudson and I have no worries whatsoever, but I fly a lot and I am a private pilot as well. (I've got 4 legs, 3 are on an Airbus 320 and the other is on a 757).

An interesting note is that an unusually high percentage of airline pilots are afraid of heights - they can fly the planes 7 miles up but are unable to go out on the hotel balcony when they get there. I don't have a source but I've read this many times over the years...
    My ex is a pilot and he is very afraid of heights.

My uncle was chief test pilot at Lockheed and did the test flight on the A12 Blackbird in 1962. I don't think he was afraid of heights but he hated flying commercial and used to drive cross country to avoid it. If he wasn't flying it, he didn't want to be in it. My poor cousins were known to have to use a coffee can to relieve themselves in the car because being a speed demon, he hated to stop for breaks and would just drive drive drive. They wanted him in the astronaut program and he said "Hell, no! Too boring!"

Eve

More recent news from CNN World here.

Among the debris found Wednesday were various objects in a circular 5-kilometer (3-mile) area; one object with a diameter of 7 meters (23 feet); 10 objects, some of which were metallic; and a thin oil slick that extended as far as 20 kilometers (12 miles), said Brazilian Air Force spokesman Jorge Amaral.

Note one relatively large (7 meter) object found. Could this indicate anything about the condition of the plane when it impacted?

If it was intact on impact would there be less of a chance of large pieces of debris remaining on the surface, or does this not provide any real insight into the plane's condition when it hit?

Any thoughts?

Just to head off conjecture, I'm not thinking terrorist here. Much of the pilot/technician/engineer discussion I've been reading seems to be moving towards a combination of weather related structural or mechanical problems combined with cascading system failure.

I wonder if a sign that the plane began break-up in the air might suggest a clue.

ETA: Further reading has pointed out that sufficiently rapid descent would cause break-up by itself, so...

... never mind, I guess.
    "It MUST be true. I saw it on NANCY."

FOR SALE: Knives, set of six, dinner and/or stainless. Move fast on this one, people. Only three of the set left.

The beautiful Shenandoah Valley in Virginia
    Wow, this is such a tragedy. I didn't fly the first time until I was 41...because I was too afraid. I love to fly now, although this tragedy has me a little unnerved.
    If it was an act of terrorism, does anyone think the "party" that did it would have claimed responsibility by now?
    Prayers to all the families involved.

Nothing, of course, will bring back loved ones. Most of us would say it's not worth it to locate the black boxes, but this will come down to liability. If AF 447 was a natural disaster, most likely AF's compensation will be very limited. However, If AF 447 was a malfunction, $$$. It's the kind of world we live in.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trino For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trino View Post
    Nothing, of course, will bring back loved ones. Most of us would say it's not worth it to locate the black boxes, but this will come down to liability. If AF 447 was a natural disaster, most likely AF's compensation will be very limited. However, If AF 447 was a malfunction, $$$. It's the kind of world we live in.
    I hope that they find what they can so that they can pin down the cause of the event, because it might help to prevent a similar tragedy from happening again.

FOR SALE: Knives, set of six, dinner and/or stainless. Move fast on this one, people. Only three of the set left.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fortytwo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fortytwo View Post
    I hope that they find what they can so that they can pin down the cause of the event, because it might help to prevent a similar tragedy from happening again.
    Exactly!
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

Thanks Trino. I didn't even think of that ;}

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090604/...a/brazil_plane

Story detailing the last minutes. It appears the entire episode took 4 minutes, i.e. story says ten minutes after the 11:00p transmission. The last automated message was at 11:14p. My thoughts are with the passengers. I pray those aboard had little time to react.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trino For This Useful Post:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090604/...a/brazil_plane

Story detailing the last minutes. It appears the entire episode took 4 minutes, i.e. story says ten minutes after the 11:00p transmission. The last automated message was at 11:14p. My thoughts are with the passengers. I pray those aboard had little time to react.
    With the complete systems failure, it's likely the oxygen masks didn't deploy, combined with loss of cabin pressure they would've been unconscious within seconds. At least I pray that's what happened. This incident, with the likely breakup of the aircraft, is so eerily reminiscent of TWA800 only at a higher altitude.

God Bless them.
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

15. The Following User Says Thank You to panthera For This Useful Post:

Some friends of mine who are international pilots for a major airline think this might be a terrorist act. They say there's no way in HELL they would fly into a 100 MPH storm in that region over the freaking Atlantic Ocean. NO WAY. And one pilot has over 25 years, and holds a very long individual private pilot speed record at Oshkosh. These aren't " cowboys" but the best of the best of our airline pilots. IF they would divert as far as necessary to avoid a header like the one which AF 447 supposedly flew into, then something is seriously wrong with prudent procedure somewhere.. and the pilot was very experienced, they say.

There are eyewitness accounts which also state that there WAS evidence of fire, which is contrary to the article last linked on Yahoo. The Lufshansa Airlines pilots on two separate flights that night saw " the ocean on fire" in that region. If that doesn't address the issue of eyewitness evidence of an intense fire, in the ocean, in an intense storm, I don't know what does.

Regardless, nothing will bring back the lost.. The young, the talented, the seniors going on vacation, the executives, the families. So many lives lost, so many families torn apart..

I've flown Air France, and love the airline. I am sure the crew was experienced. IF there is a system back-up flaw or malfunction in the Aerobus 330 ( or Airbus 330 in US English) in inclement weather, they need to be hauling a few in out of the working fleets from all major purchasers for electro-static and electromagnetic loading and testing. There was one near- failure due to strong electomagnetic fields at a military base. This concerns me.. If I know it, so do the nuts who would kill innocent people out of madness.

IF it is terrorism, I hope it is not covered up. A Continental pilot out of Houston reported some sort of projectile ( missle, rocket, or other surface to ar weapon) sighted on a flight this past week in Lincoln Co, TX.
    The pilot is ex-military, so I tend to think he knows what he saw. I feel that the episode is being covered up.. that he is being ridiculed in the MSM.
    We all need to pay attention.
    JUSTICE FOR CLO STONER IN 2015!!! http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...-March-17-2014
    This is about the murder of my friend, Clo Stoner, R.N. She was shot point blank in the head numerous times- defenseless, in the middle of the day, by her " boyfriend" in 2014- a victim of domestic violence. The shooting was witnessed by a family member of the shooter. There was so much damage to Clo's skull that the number of gunshots could not be counted, only estimated. Please read the details known about her case here on WS, and please pray for justice for the two victims with me.

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingJana View Post
    <snip>

There are eyewitness accounts which also state that there WAS evidence of fire, which is contrary to the article last linked on Yahoo. The Lufshansa Airlines pilots on two separate flights that night saw " the ocean on fire" in that region. If that doesn't address the issue of eyewitness evidence of an intense fire, in the ocean, in an intense storm, I don't know what does.

<snip>
    (bold above by me)

Have you got any links to these witness reports? They will be very interesting reading.

(bold above by me)

Have you got any links to these witness reports? They will be very interesting reading.
    I also read these reports abut the ocean fires early on. but I thought they turned out to be in the wrong area. i can't recall but I will see what I can find.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34
    Pilots flying a commercial jet from Paris to Rio de Janeiro for Brazil's largest airline, TAM, said they saw what they thought was fire in the ocean along the Air France plane's route.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

(bold above by me)

They were the very first reports by the MSM. Will Google it for you and see what's still online. The things I am finding at this late date have extensive editing to add the specifics released by AF regarding the plane, crew, passengers, the storm.
    However, at first, these were the reports coming in during the middle of the first night the plane went down:

"A Brazilian air force spokesman said the pilot of a TAM airliner saw what looked like fire on the water along the Air France jet's flight path.
    That pilot "saw several orange points on the ocean while flying over the region," said the spokesman. Col. Jorge Amaral. "After arriving in Brazil, the pilot found out about the disappearance [of the plane] and said that he thought those points on the ocean were fire."
    http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/130885524

Pilots flying a commercial jet from Paris to Rio de Janeiro for Brazil's largest airline, TAM, spotted what they thought was fire in the Atlantic Ocean along the same flight path of an Air France jet that vanished Monday, the airline said in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press.
    Brazilian Air Force spokesman Col. Jorge Amaral said authorities were investigating the pilots' sighting, according to the Agencia Brasil official news service.
    "There is information that the pilot of a TAM aircraft saw several orange points on the ocean while flying over the region ... where the Air France plane disappeared," Amaral said. "After arriving in Brazil, the pilot found out about the disappearance [of the Air France plane] and said that he thought those points on the ocean were fire."
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524180,00.html

Google the terms: pilot saw fire on Atlantic
    and you will see MANY more articles stating the same thing but they have been " cleaned up" significantly since the weather theory has been put forth.
    And I did make an error- it was not Lufthansa, but a Brazilian airline, sorry.
    JUSTICE FOR CLO STONER IN 2015!!! http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...-March-17-2014
    This is about the murder of my friend, Clo Stoner, R.N. She was shot point blank in the head numerous times- defenseless, in the middle of the day, by her " boyfriend" in 2014- a victim of domestic violence. The shooting was witnessed by a family member of the shooter. There was so much damage to Clo's skull that the number of gunshots could not be counted, only estimated. Please read the details known about her case here on WS, and please pray for justice for the two victims with me.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    I also read these reports abut the ocean fires early on. but I thought they turned out to be in the wrong area. i can't recall but I will see what I can find.
    No, they were not in the wrong region. They were sighted by Brazilian airlines TAM flight from Paris to Rio during the same night. I don't post something unless I can back it up.

EDITED TO ADD: The Lufthansa connection I was thinking of is this-Two Lufthansa commercial flights of similar size aircraft went through the same storm, one half an hour before & one an hour later, safely and without incident.

I still think they ruled out terrorism way too quickly... or aren't discussing the possibility with the media.
    Even Pam Am 400 had time to issue a Mayday signal manually.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SeekingJana For This Useful Post:

(bold above by me)

UNDATED (WVLT) Sky News in Britain is reporting that a pilot from Brazil-based TAM Airlines reported seeing what they thought was fire on the ocean near where Air France Flight 447 disappeared early Monday morning.

http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/46679497.html

jnTexas is offline Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
    Some friends of mine who are international pilots for a major airline think this might be a terrorist act. They say there's no way in HELL they would fly into a 100 MPH storm in that region over the freaking Atlantic Ocean. NO WAY. And one pilot has over 25 years, and holds a very long individual private pilot speed record at Oshkosh. These aren't " cowboys" but the best of the best of our airline pilots. IF they would divert as far as necessary to avoid a header like the one which AF 447 supposedly flew into, then something is seriously wrong with prudent procedure somewhere.. and the pilot was very experienced, they say.

Regardless, nothing will bring back the lost.. The young, the talented, the seniors going on vacation, the executives, the families. So many lives lost, so many families torn apart..

I've flown Air France, and love the airline. I am sure the crew was experienced. IF there is a system back-up flaw or malfunction in the Aerobus 330 ( or Airbus 330 in US English) in inclement weather, they need to be hauling a few in out of the working fleets from all major purchasers for electro-static and electromagnetic loading and testing. There was one near- failure due to strong electomagnetic fields at a military base. This concerns me.. If I know it, so do the nuts who would kill innocent people out of madness.

IF it is terrorism, I hope it is not covered up. A Continental pilot out of Houston reported some sort of projectile ( missle, rocket, or other surface to ar weapon) sighted on a flight this past week in Lincoln Co, TX.
    The pilot is ex-military, so I tend to think he knows what he saw. I feel that the episode is being covered up.. that he is being ridiculed in the MSM.
    We all need to pay attention.
    I have thought that to. Why would someone fly a plane into 100 mph winds. that would be like flying a plane through a hurricane. I'm leaning towards the bomb possiblity. I surely hope whatever it was is released and not covered.

Actually it is Liberty County, Texas which is just down the street from me. the sheriff in Liberty county has taken it very serious and they have been searching since last friday for the object. the area is very rural alot of land is owned by the paper company so lots of trees.

I'm thinking (living in the area) this is most likely some kid out of school makking a rocket and shooting it off.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jnTexas For This Useful Post:

No, they were not in the wrong region. They were sighted by Brazilian airlines TAM flight from Paris to Rio during the same night. I don't post something unless I can back it up.
    I know SJ, I was agreeing with you. I was saying that I thought that the fires were in the wrong area not you. I posted the link for you. This was reported very early on.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    Here is an article on the senior pilot:

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=105&sid=1688553
    20 years with the same company, 11,000 flying hours 1,700 of which were in this type plane sounds like he knew what he was doing.

Which further makes me believe the bomb possibilty.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to jnTexas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jnTexas View Post
    I have thought that to. Why would someone fly a plane into 100 mph winds. that would be like flying a plane through a hurricane. I'm leaning towards the bomb possiblity. I surely hope whatever it was is released and not covered.

Actually it is Liberty County, Texas which is just down the street from me. the sheriff in Liberty county has taken it very serious and they have been searching since last friday for the object. the area is very rural alot of land is owned by the paper company so lots of trees.

I'm thinking (living in the area) this is most likely some kid out of school makking a rocket and shooting it off.
    Sorry I got the county wrong. Was obviously going from memory, .
    LOL, I read in some area newpaper forums that some people thought it was a kid's prank.
    I don't know.. would the pilot, a Vietnam vet, know the difference between a kid's science project knowledge and a weaponry projectile?
    I have not been in the flight deck of a large passenger plane during flight but have flown in all genres of restored antique military and commercial planes owned by friends... the flight deck views vary widely, of course, as these are IFR planes, not recreational VFRs.
    I don't know, maybe the pilot had no other points of reference and over-estimated the size of the projectile aimed at his craft, but he was a pilot in Vietnam, it said... I don't think anyone should discount what he said he saw because he even gave his coordinates at the time of the sighting. Something an ex- military who is on the ball would think to do, IMO.
    I hope it was a kid, and I hope he or she was scared by the report enough not to do it again.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to SeekingJana For This Useful Post:

They were the very first reports by the MSM. Will Google it for you and see what's still online. The things I am finding at this late date have extensive editing to add the specifics released by AF regarding the plane, crew, passengers, the storm.
    However, at first, these were the reports coming in during the middle of the first night the plane went down:

"A Brazilian air force spokesman said the pilot of a TAM airliner saw what looked like fire on the water along the Air France jet's flight path.
    That pilot "saw several orange points on the ocean while flying over the region," said the spokesman. Col. Jorge Amaral. "After arriving in Brazil, the pilot found out about the disappearance [of the plane] and said that he thought those points on the ocean were fire."
    http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/130885524

Pilots flying a commercial jet from Paris to Rio de Janeiro for Brazil's largest airline, TAM, spotted what they thought was fire in the Atlantic Ocean along the same flight path of an Air France jet that vanished Monday, the airline said in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press.
    Brazilian Air Force spokesman Col. Jorge Amaral said authorities were investigating the pilots' sighting, according to the Agencia Brasil official news service.
    "There is information that the pilot of a TAM aircraft saw several orange points on the ocean while flying over the region ... where the Air France plane disappeared," Amaral said. "After arriving in Brazil, the pilot found out about the disappearance [of the Air France plane] and said that he thought those points on the ocean were fire."
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524180,00.html

Google the terms: pilot saw fire on Atlantic
    and you will see MANY more articles stating the same thing but they have been " cleaned up" significantly since the weather theory has been put forth.
    And I did make an error- it was not Lufthansa, but a Brazilian airline, sorry.
    Thanks.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to fortytwo For This Useful Post:

Here's a link about the american couple on board. They were from The Woodlands, Texas which is about 40 miles north of Houston.
    http://www.khou.com/topstories/stori....3eff765a.html

The two Americans on board a missing Air France plane were a geologist and his wife headed to Europe for work and vacation, a spokesman for his employer said Tuesday.

Michael Harris, who turned 60 last month, worked in Rio de Janeiro for Oklahoma City-based Devon Energy Corp., company spokesman Chip Minty said. Harris had planned to attend seminars in Barcelona, Spain. “After that, they had five days on R&R in Paris,” Minty said.

Anne Harris, 54, was a physical therapist who put herself through school while a single mother, her sister, Mary Miley, told the Lafayette, La., newspaper The Advertiser. She was originally from Lafayette, about 130 miles west of New Orleans.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to jnTexas For This Useful Post:

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ma...issing-19.html

Here's a good explanation as to why the AF plane was likely not an explosion.

I am heartbroken for all the people on this flight, especially the kids and baby. What an absolutely nightmarish ordeal knowing the jet is going to crash and you and your kids are going to die. Absolutely awful. I hate flying and am scheduled to fly to England in July and this stuff makes me very nervous.
    RIP Liana Sandoval, Kelsey Briggs, and Baby P.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast