Sleepover turns tragic: Relatives mourn 11-year-old girls killed by carbon monoxide

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
BOCA RATON — Jill Brondolo always worried about whether her 11-year-old daughter Kaitlyn was wearing a seat belt or a bicycle helmet, but never thought about the dangers of carbon monoxide, the grieving mother said today.
Hours before, a deputy had arrived at her home west of Boca Raton to tell her that Kaitlyn and her best friend, Amber Wilson, 11, had died from exposure to the deadly poison during a sleepover at Amber's house about a mile away.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/jun...atives-mourn-11-year-old/?feedback=1#comments

Just horrible. I don't understand...the car was left running, but the keys were found on the counter?

What a horrible tragedy that both these girls lost their lives. Things aren't adding up for me though. I get a really hinky feeling reading that article. Why wasn't the mother affected by the carbon monoxide? Who leaves the car running and closes the garage door like that? If you couldn't get the keys out of the ignition wouldn't you call a friend, a neighbor for help? Can a 45 year old woman really NOT know the dangers of leaving a car running in a closed garage? Come on. This is waaaay fishy.

http://www.catalyticconverter.org

The story says her car is a Ford Escape. Doesn't give the year, but I'm sure it would be equipped with a catalytic converter, taking 96% of the carbon monoxide out of the air. Cars are no longer a means to commit suicide unless modified in some way.

Something else happened IMO.

http://www.catalyticconverter.org

The story says her car is a Ford Escape. Doesn't give the year, but I'm sure it would be equipped with a catalytic converter, taking 96% of the carbon monoxide out of the air. Cars are no longer a means to commit suicide unless modified in some way.

Something else happened IMO.

http://www.nutramed.com/environment/monoxide.htm

Cars are still absolutely a means to commit suicide via carbon monoxide. The levels build in the air in closed in spaces, that is why you don't do think like this (I think it is hinky too). Catalytic converters have been installed on all vehicles since 1975 and we know there have been many suicides commited using this means since 1975. The removal of 96% is for environmental benefits.

The article linked does say that a persons age and body weight will contribute to how much is lethal which *might* explain only the girls being killed. I would be more willing to buy into that if the cause was a furnace malfunction that no one was aware of.

When deputies arrived, the vehicle was not running, the keys were on the counter and the tank was half full, Barbera said. Large amounts of carbon monoxide were detected in the house, she said.

I'm thinking it's an attached garage?
Door closed between garage and house?
It would take hours, and she had a half tank of gas?

IMO

Are there not laws in FL mandating all residences be outfitted with carbon monoxide detectors? We have one in Illinois so I just assumed most, if not all, states do. It could have saved their lives.

Sorry but I am not believing this story at all. A person would not leave a car running like this, if some crazy thing happened and your car would not shut off you would not simply trot off to bed to leave the car idling for hours while you slept.
Apparently her son was away on a sleep-over. I want to know now if she had life insurance on her daughter.
As far as the keys found on the counter, it could be possible to have the car running without the keys if she had the start button on her key ring, we have that on our truck.
The article also said there was a half a tank of gas in the car, how long was the car running inside the garage?
There is a lot more to this story and my heart breaks for the mother who let her daughter go over to her friends house for a innocent sleep-over.

VB

Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Teri Barbera said the girls were inside a house where one of them lived Sunday morning. A woman called 911 saying her daughter was not responsive.
Rescue officials found one girl in a bedroom and the other in the kitchen. Both were dead.
Barbera said the mother was taken to a hospital but is expected to survive.
The victims were not immediately identified.
Investigators believe the mother parked her car in the garage, leaving the engine one with the garage door closed. She later fell asleep.
Fire-rescue determined there were traces of carbon monoxide in the house.

According to the sheriff's office, Loretta Wilson and the girls returned home from a trip to Wal-Mart about 10:30 p.m. Saturday, parked the vehicle in the garage and closed the garage door behind - the car still running.
Detectives searched the house this morning and found the Ford in the garage, its engine turned off and its fuel tank half full. The car keys were on a kitchen counter.

ok, she went to bed with the car running. She woke up to find her daughter unresponsive and called 911. At what point did she go and get the car to shut off? It was off when police arrived, keys on the counter, and didn't run out of gas....what else would have shut the car off? If it was running from 1030pm to 900 am, wouldn't it have run out of gas?
Sorry, ah car clueless

And, what about the dog?
Was he/she inside the home also?
I would think the dog would be the first to go, if you want to judge by weight and size.....
IMO

The dog was alive and taken by animal services.
Hmmmm

All I'm gonna say is, "I don't believe it."IMO, this was NO accident.

:(
fran

As we read the posts, it goes from Large amounts of Carbon Monoxide to Traces.
IMO

different sources meant to confuse people like us :)

Nothing adds up IMO. I'll feel really bad for posting the following if this is truly an accident....We had a case here a year or so ago where the husband was found dead, the wife feigned that her and the kids were sick from carbon monoxide poisoning. She blamed it on her toddler, saying he turned on the stove and the flame went out. Turns out her and her husband both OD'd on heroin. She survived, he didn't.

There was also a murder a few years back that was blamed on Carbon monoxide...until the details came out that is. The inspection of the car will be interesting.

This one doesn't sound right to me either. Who leaves a car running in the garage and goes to bed?

Unless Mom was inhibited in some way - pills, drinking, etc, I don't see how she just "left the car running" and went to bed!

Ok this is crazy but a friend of mine and her husband had a phone argument so he hurried up and came home and jumped out of the truck forgetting to turn it off. This was at about 7pm and i guess after some bickering between them they went to sleep. He woke up the next morning to go to work and the truck was still running. It was almost out of gas. So it can happen but this story does not make sense at all.

I can only imagine that the mom FORGOT to shut off the car and maybe has one of those keys that DO NOT need to be in the ignition. I have one for my mercedes, I keep it in my pocket and can turn the car on and off without using my key. AT TIMES - I get out of the car without realizing that I did not shut it off. Just my thoughts on this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back