1090 users online (244 members and 846 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,645

    N.C. Childcare Teacher Positive for TB

    http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/5269462/

    Wow, I would be freaking out if it was my child at the center. My prayers that all of the children are healthy.
    Happy New Years

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,150
    That would be scary. The comments say that TB is on the rise, I wonder what precautions schools will be taking (or if there are some already underway?)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,645
    I hope they figure out who she caught it from before that person spreads it to more people.
    Happy New Years

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,150
    Quote Originally Posted by teonspaleprincess View Post
    I hope they figure out who she caught it from before that person spreads it to more people.
    Since the transmission of the disease is through casual contact (from what I've read), do you think it's possible to find out the origin?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,645
    Not probable but possible I take it that she was only recently infected, so maybe she can think back to anyone she was around who might have been sick right before she came down with symptoms.
    Happy New Years

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,150
    Quote Originally Posted by teonspaleprincess View Post
    Not probable but possible I take it that she was only recently infected, so maybe she can think back to anyone she was around who might have been sick right before she came down with symptoms.
    You are right- thanks for having a positive attitude!

    Since she tested negative in Sept (?) maybe there is an association with someone that she can think of. Do you know when the coughing starts with TB? I'll have to read more on the subject at the CDC. The article stated that she showed signs of "allergy symptoms", since it's spring and allergy season, I hope that alerts people to have testing, rather than dismissing the symptoms? I didn't know that TB could seem like allergies, I would have been drinking the Benedryl and ignoring it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    306
    I would try to find out if anyone she knew got out of prison lately. TB tends to be found in prisons and detention centers because they are not well ventilated. When I worked for the state in the 90s, I worked with two guys who had both worked in the prison system. Once you test positive on a skin test, you will always test positive and both of my co-workers always had to have the chest x-rays every three years to prove they didn't have full blown TB, only the exposure. I had a couple of clients who were also exposed and they had to take 6 months of medication. I don't know if that regime has changed by now. It might have because the article on the day care doesn't mention them having to take it for that long.

    They should find out for certain that she did not get it from one of the kids.

    This is the kind of thing I worry about happening in day care centers and elsewhere because of the anti-immunization movement.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,645
    http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/5292131/

    One of the three children who were being kept in the hospital is negative for TB and is set to get home
    Happy New Years

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,195
    If they are going to look at where she might have caught it, one place is to check out any restaurants she may have visited as well.

    Here is a little known fact that many seasoned servers know...never pick up a glass by the rim with your fingers that someone has drank after, the saliva that might possibly be on the rim from the drinkers mouth can contain viruses and bacteria.

    Should you do that and then touch your mouth or another avenue on your body for the viruses and bacteria to enter you will find yourself ill.

    Conversely, never drink from a glass that your server sits before you with their hands too near the rim of the glass. It works in reverse too. Good servers and bartenders would never do that. They are trained not to do that.
    Last edited by Kat; 06-06-2009 at 06:25 PM. Reason: add a thought
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Carolina's
    Posts
    6,838
    How scary! I hope the teacher, and all the kids, are ok.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,645
    http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/5297426/

    Update: All three children tested negative and are at home. They will be tested again in 8 weeks.
    Happy New Years

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,189
    I wonder if all the kids at school and cafeteria workers have been tested since one of them could be the carrier. School is another place where people are packed like sardines into older buildings that would be impossible to keep properly sanitized all day long.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by HesterMofet View Post
    I would try to find out if anyone she knew got out of prison lately. TB tends to be found in prisons and detention centers because they are not well ventilated. When I worked for the state in the 90s, I worked with two guys who had both worked in the prison system. Once you test positive on a skin test, you will always test positive and both of my co-workers always had to have the chest x-rays every three years to prove they didn't have full blown TB, only the exposure. I had a couple of clients who were also exposed and they had to take 6 months of medication. I don't know if that regime has changed by now. It might have because the article on the day care doesn't mention them having to take it for that long.

    They should find out for certain that she did not get it from one of the kids.

    This is the kind of thing I worry about happening in day care centers and elsewhere because of the anti-immunization movement.
    I tested positive back in the early 90s. Since I was under 35, then, I had to take -- I think it was INH -- for 9 months. That was only after chest xrays showed no scarring, therefore no active case, just exposure. The only place we've ever come up with as having been exposed was when I was spending so much time in ICU after my husband's car accident.



Similar Threads

  1. Mark Warner Resort Childcare Information
    By blaize in forum Madeleine McCann
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 12:21 PM