1041 users online (212 members and 829 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FL - Breastfeeding Baby Ejected from Car During Accident

Unbelievable

The baby must have run out of milk and started sucking out its mother's brain. It'd be the only possible explanation for this stupidity.

First of all, the car seat was in the front passenger seat. Which is completely irresponsible. Second of all, she took the baby OUT OF THE SEAT and fed her, in the front seat, while the car was going down the highway! Then, she pulled out in front of a garbage truck going through a green light!

I pray for this baby with all my heart, but man. The parents need to be charged.

Oh god.
    [/I]

My prayers for this family. I have been known to take an infant out of his carseat and breastfeed him while the car was in motion, so I'm not going to throw stones. While that surely wasn't the BEST parenting decision I ever made, I "get" it.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by MomofBoys View Post
    Unbelievable

The baby must have run out of milk and started sucking out its mother's brain. It'd be the only possible explanation for this stupidity.

First of all, the car seat was in the front passenger seat. Which is completely irresponsible. Second of all, she took the baby OUT OF THE SEAT and fed her, in the front seat, while the car was going down the highway! Then, she pulled out in front of a garbage truck going through a green light!

I pray for this baby with all my heart, but man. The parents need to be charged.
    I don't know I realy,really worry about a lot of these young parents today. It's like alot of them have know common sense what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    My prayers for this family. I have been known to take an infant out of his carseat and breastfeed him while the car was in motion, so I'm not going to throw stones. While that surely wasn't the BEST parenting decision I ever made, I "get" it.
    You probably weren't driving the car.

I hope the baby will be okay. It's sad the mother made such a poor choice to nurse her baby in a moving vehicle. Poor little thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nanny1 View Post
    I don't think she was driving.

The report says the driver of the car told them his name was Vincente Rodriguez. However, police said they are not sure this is his real name, as he gave them a Mexican driver's license with a different name.

I'm just of the opinion that if a baby isn't actively choking or in some kind of distress critical to its life, it should be in a certified restraint at all times. Let the child fuss for the two minutes it takes you to pull over (if that) and if you can't make your destination on time otherwise, then the baby should either be home with a sitter or you should cancel the other obligation.

There are too many stories like this. Breast is best, but it only takes one bad move (yours or another driver's) to turn that infant into a human air bag. If the actual air bag doesn't kill it first.

Removing a baby from a restraint in a moving vehicle is a criminal offense in Florida, I believe, and if it's not it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Yep, I've done it, too, though only a few times on long road trips.

I cant understand that.. what on earth was she thinking.. dear lord this baby is paying for her idiotic decison. Wow I have fed a bby inthe car but killed myself by controting myself so I could feed and keep the baby in the seat.. not my finest moment and I could have used a few gymnastic skills for doing it but just too darn scared of something happening.. my first road trip we stopped everytime I needed to feed. it took us 2 days in stead of the 10 hours it was supposed to because of the many many stops.. getting there safely was more important then getting there fast.

hoep this baby can recover but I sincerely hope these folks use better judgement in the future.. bad enought to take such a risk by themselves but involving a baby in the process. just plain dumb...
    Last edited by opme; 06-05-2009 at 11:11 PM.

I've certainly been very tempted, especially when my youngest was a newborn and needed to feed for 45 minutes every hour and a half, but I never actually did it. No offense to the moms were honest and admitted they did it, but I think it's negligent behavior and if this baby dies, it should be manslaughter. At least.

Quote Originally Posted by MomofBoys View Post
    I've certainly been very tempted, especially when my youngest was a newborn and needed to feed for 45 minutes every hour and a half, but I never actually did it. No offense to the moms were honest and admitted they did it, but I think it's negligent behavior and if this baby dies, it should be manslaughter. At least.
    As SCM said, it was not the best parenting decision. Most often, I nursed my 4 DS while they were in their car seats.

I'll never forget when my car broke down when I was moving from Miami up here. The Enterprise guy came to pick us up to take me, my Mom, my 2 DS and my cat to Enterprise to get a rental car. My 5 month old DS was SCREAMING and I was in the back seat next to him, so I "whipped it out" to nurse him. At the same time, the Enterprise guy turned to look in the back seat (prolly cuz my son was screaming so loud). My Mom said, "No, don't look back there!!"

The Enterprise guy quickly turned to the front and didn't look in the back seat again

BTW: The reason my car broke down is cuz I accidentally put diesel in it. I'll NEVER make that mistake again!!

Quote Originally Posted by DairyGirl View Post
    I don't think she was driving.
    Sorry everyone,the way I read it she pulled out in front of a truck going thru a greenlight. I just couldn' imagine driving and feeding a baby. Now I see even though it may not have been the wisest decision,I also could have made the same honest mistake.

LOL - this is true!

I don't know I realy,really worry about a lot of these young parents today. It's like alot of them have know common sense what so ever.
    It's interesting, you know. I'm certainly a fan of all the safety features we have nowadays that were not SOP when I was young. (One of my good friends rode home from the hospital in a laundry basket, for heaven's sake!) But still, many of us survived all sorts of things that are considered downright criminal today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast