GUILTY CA - Sherri Rasmussen, 29, murdered in her Los Angeles home, 24 Feb 1986

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
A well-regarded, veteran Los Angeles Police Department detective was arrested today in connection with the 1986 slaying of her ex-boyfriend's wife, marking one of the few times in the department's history that one of its own officers has been accused of murder.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-detective-arrested6-2009jun06,0,2400854.story

I wonder how many cold cases were committed by either LE or their families and covered up. There certainly can't be that high level of inter departmental incompetence in every case in the nation!

This makes me think of the movie Fatel Attraction. Did she think she would get her ex boyfriend back if she killed his wife? They were only married 2 months before she killed her. Poor woman was beaten and shot. Since she had the gun to shoot her with Imo she first beat her just to cause her the highest level of pain first.

VB

This one is fascinating. I have so many questions. How do you kill someone and then just go on with a seemingly normal, productive life for 20 years? What about the boyfriend. Don't you think she would have told him what she did for him? Or, I wonder if he helped? Also, they didn't say exactly where the DNA came from. Is it possible the DNA was at the scene because they were having an affair, but not because she was the killer?

I think it's great that they caught this woman. Now, if LE would just catch some of the MALE perps within their organization. I'll bet there's lots and lots.

Edited to add: I find it "interesting" that the perp they caught within their "own" was a female.

My opinion only

Tip, I would like to introduce you to iceburg.

Reminds me of Louisiana-I remember a Vanity Fair article many years ago about a female cop who was popping people....

here is a link to Antoinette Frank:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoinette_Frank

I don't think she is who I was thinking of however...

Good article, thanks. I know there are bad female LE. Then there are the Drew Petersen's, one wife drowned in an empty bathtup, another missing. I wonder if they ever would have done anything about Kathleen Savio's murder if he hadn't gotten so sure no one would pursue him.

We have another guy, some sort of LE, security guard maybe? He was let out on bail after being accused of shooting his wife AND the guy he tried to pin the murder on. He took off the anklet and RAN - he's still gone, BTW.

Guess my point is, even though there are BAD female LE that get caught, how many BAD male LE are there who have never, and never will, get caught? I do see this as a somewhat sexist thing. I really do.

Any killer they can put away should be put away. I wonder what the ratio is, statistically, to the number of female LE CAUGHT, to the number of male LE CAUGHT? Remember Bambi? Run, Bambi, run!

My opinion only

Good article, thanks. I know there are bad female LE. Then there are the Drew Petersen's, one wife drowned in an empty bathtup, another missing. I wonder if they ever would have done anything about Kathleen Savio's murder if he hadn't gotten so sure no one would pursue him.

We have another guy, some sort of LE, security guard maybe? He was let out on bail after being accused of shooting his wife AND the guy he tried to pin the murder on. He took off the anklet and RAN - he's still gone, BTW.

Guess my point is, even though there are BAD female LE that get caught, how many BAD male LE are there who have never, and never will, get caught? I do see this as a somewhat sexist thing. I really do.

Any killer they can put away should be put away. I wonder what the ratio is, statistically, to the number of female LE CAUGHT, to the number of male LE CAUGHT? Remember Bambi? Run, Bambi, run!

My opinion only

It might be because of the "Good Ole Boy" thing going on in LE. Although it certainly did take a while to bring this woman to justice.

Tip, I would like to introduce you to iceburg.

Reminds me of Louisiana-I remember a Vanity Fair article many years ago about a female cop who was popping people....

here is a link to Antoinette Frank:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoinette_Frank

I don't think she is who I was thinking of however...

I read that article.. She was insane!

I wonder what her relationship to that Lacaze guy was...

Oohh, here is a new article that explains the DNA was taken from the bite marks on the victim's body. That seems pretty conclusive for placing her at the murder scene at the time of the murder.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31181226/
"Lazarus, who joined the force in 1983, was identified as a suspect through a recent DNA match of saliva taken from bite marks on Sherri Rasmussen's body, said Deputy Chief Charlie Beck."

This one is fascinating. I have so many questions. How do you kill someone and then just go on with a seemingly normal, productive life for 20 years? What about the boyfriend. Don't you think she would have told him what she did for him? Or, I wonder if he helped? Also, they didn't say exactly where the DNA came from. Is it possible the DNA was at the scene because they were having an affair, but not because she was the killer?

ITA, Pegatha. It is fascinating. You wonder how someone could live the next 20 something years of their life after committing murder. Was she constantly in fear of being caught? Or did she think she'd made it this far and she was safe?

My bet is she never told the ex boyfriend. I think he had no idea. But I do bet she thought that once he'd stopped grieving for his wife he'd find his way back to her. Guess that never happened.

Someone's parents are having a press conference this morning. I don't know if it is the accused's parents or the murdered woman's parents.
I am not much of a reporter lol.

BITE MARKS!!! :eek:

I bet she's been nervous since DNA testing became possible. It's surprising she could be such a violent killer but (apparently) has lived a normal life before and since. Of course, we don't know if she's got any other victims out there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back