GUILTY CA - Melody Osheroff, 9, killed, dad maimed by drunk driver, Novato, 27 May 2009

Serial drunk driver keeps getting let off the hook by the courts, as a result of his most recent DUI, he kills a 9 year old girl, the girl's father, injured in the collision had to have his legs amputated :banghead:

http://sfist.com/2009/06/03/drunk_driver_was_drunk_--_really_dr.php

Let's put him in a cell with about 4 gallons of pure grain alcohol and tell him he can have as much as he wants. Problem solved. Cheaply.

This guy should never see the light of day again. Under the jail with ye!

This happens way too often. It is horrible to lose a loved one to a drunk driver or to suffer sever injury at the hands of one but for that driver to be a repeat offender who has gotten only a slap on the wrist for previous charges should show how preventable this tragedy was. There are far too many of these and similar cases. There are far too many sentences of probation instead of prison terms and far too many probation violations without resulting in any time being served and far too many court dates given without taking violators to jail at all and far too many early releases and paroles. They are blamed on overcrowding of the prisons and jails and a backlogged judicial system. But I can think of worse ways for our tax dollars to be spent. I say build more prisons and courtrooms, hire more LE, appoint more judges, hold more trials, give max sentences, and require the majority of the sentence to be served in a prison instead of some form of house arrest or half-way house. Whether the repeat offender is a murderer or thief or child abuser or drunk driver, we have a responsibility to protect the public from their crimes, and we are failing in that responsibility. It is unforgivable and we should be ashamed. I am and have no words to express my sorrow to the families who have been affected by our failure to protect them from people like this drunk driver.

Yep, that happened here. I'm moving back to Novato in a few weeks.

So sad.

I was surprised to see how many liberal leaners would like to see this guy "beheaded" or so they say on the blogs and new sites.

I wish we were tougher on crime out here. Someday - SOMEDAY - we have to learn that catch and release does not work. (only for Bass Fishermen).

Yep, that happened here. I'm moving back to Novato in a few weeks.

So sad.

I was surprised to see how many liberal leaners would like to see this guy "beheaded" or so they say on the blogs and new sites.

I wish we were tougher on crime out here. Someday - SOMEDAY - we have to learn that catch and release does not work. (only for Bass Fishermen).

Well, I'm a liberal and I don't want to see him beheaded, I just want to see him in prison for the rest of his life.

I think addiction is one of our world's greatest scourges. So many lives altered irrevocably - my prayers for everyone bearing the pain of this tragedy.

Shouldn't the legal system have some type of law in place that says when a person is convicted of X DUIs there is a mandatory minimum sentence that must be served in full? Just like three-strike losers, but specifically for DUI offenses. Along with some type of addiction counseling as well. I know the penal system really doesn't try to treat underlying issues, but twelve step programs don't require mental health professionals to always be on site. JMHO.

From July 2010:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Notorious-DUI-Killer-Killed-at-San-Quentin-99330189.html

Edward John Schaefer, 44, of Novato, is the man who ran down a Novato family last year, killing a child and maiming her father... He was sentenced last week to 24 years to life in prison for second-degree murder and mayhem.

Less than two weeks later, on Monday morning, another inmate in San Quentin stabbed him in the neck and chest with a makeshift weapon. Schaefer was taken to Marin General, but died at 9:03 p.m.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back