Alzheimer's patients to get GPS shoes

Paintr

Reaction score
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/06/2591269.htm

"The technology will provide the location of the individual wearing the shoes within 30 feet, anywhere on the planet," said Andrew Carle, an assistant professor at George Mason University who served as an adviser on the project.

"Sixty per cent of individuals afflicted with Alzheimer's Disease will be involved in a 'critical wandering incident' at least once during the progression of the disease - many more than once," he said.

It is something to apply the simplest of answers to an increasing problem. This just isn't good for the patient but as important for their care providers. This allows a family caregiver one little area of their brain to relax a bit, knowing that if during their 24 hr. caregiving something may happen to them, leaving the pt. alone. Kudos to our scientist.

I think this is an admirable idea, but it does assume that the patients are going to remember to put their shoes *on*.

I think this is a good idea. This poor man I met at the store one day was asking me how he could get home and poor baby only lived right down the road but could not remember how to get there. I showed him the way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back