Roy Lee Smith

He is a registered sex offender that was a friend of Jennifer Buchanan.

The van where the fishing multi tool was found concealed behind a radio panel was his van. He had let Kennedy drive it that day.

He is currently in jail for violating the terms of his parole

I just don't get the feeling this guy had anything to do with it. Could be wrong, but my gut tells me he didn't.

Do we know his crime? When he first registered as an offender?

Roy Smith on VINE is saying tranfer to unknow location

R. Smith is awaiting screening at the Charles Egeler Reception and Guidance Center in Jackson. (medical and psychological testing)

He will be shipped to an appropriate Michigan Prison.

Smith waived an internal hearing and admitted he had violated his parole by being in contact with Nevaeh's mother.

Reason of violation: he wasn't supposed to have contact with anyone who had children.

Smith violated the parole of a third-degree criminal sexual conduct, for which he was sentenced to 15-50 years in prison.

He could spend the next 35 years behind bars for associating with Nevaeh's Mother.

http://www.freep.com/article/200906...+test+makes+a+positive+ID++It+s+Nevaeh+s+body
June 9, 2009 Updated at 5:20 p.m.

I just don't get the feeling this guy had anything to do with it. Could be wrong, but my gut tells me he didn't.
I don't either necessarily.. I started the thread on him because he was jailed as a result of the investigation, is an rso, and was buddies with not only george kennedy but jennifer buchanan. And thought it would be easier to keep all the info organized as it comes to the fore in this case.

Finally, some info on Smith.

An acquaintance of Smith's described to The Detroit News on Tuesday how FBI agents questioned her at Smith's home shortly after Nevaeh disappeared May 24.

Meg Vogan said she was watching television at the home of Smith, who is her daughter's friend, when there was a knock at the front door. Four men and a woman were standing on the porch.

The four men identified themselves as FBI agents. The woman was a parole officer. They were there to question Smith, but they ended up interviewing Vogan and her daughter, too, she said.

"They came in and took us all into different rooms," said Vogan, 55. "They started asking me a bunch of questions I didn't understand: 'Where did you sleep Sunday?' 'Where did you wake up?' 'When you went to the restaurant with Roy, did he pay cash or use a credit card?' I didn't know what it was all about."

Police told The Detroit News last week that Smith, 48, was an "associate" of Nevaeh's mother. He is in custody on an unspecified parole violation and has been listed as a person of interest in the case, now in its third week. Vogan said she isn't sure what to believe, although she claims Smith spent most of the last two months with her and her 24-year-old daughter before his arrest last week.

"There were a few times when he wasn't with us, but he was never gone for long," Vogan said. "Basically, he was with us all the time."

Vogan said the case has been gnawing at her. She said Smith acted "kind of weird" in the days after Neveah was reported missing.

"The day before the FBI came to his house, we went to Birch Run, and his phone was ringing off the hook, but he wouldn't answer it," she said. "If he did know something about (Nevaeh's disappearance), he wouldn't tell. He always talked about how he wasn't a snitch."

The day after she was questioned at Smith's home, Vogan said two FBI agents showed up at her residence the next evening.

"They asked a bunch of questions about (Smith)," she said. "Also, they were asking the same questions they had asked me the night before; I think they were trying to see if my answers would be the same."

Vogan said her daughter, whose name she asked not to be used, was picked up for probation violation a few days after the FBI questioned her and is in the Monroe County Jail. Vogan said since Smith had courted her daughter for about two months.

http://www.detnews.com/article/2009...s-family--devastated--at-confirmation-of-body

I wonder if Vogan has a grandaughter from the daughter that Smith was "courting"?

That sounds like a wisecrack, but it's not...I'm very curious to know.

I wonder if we could look up who in Monroe county jail?

I wonder if we could look up who in Monroe county jail?

I tried to find the daughter's name by the Mother's name and I can't find a name attached to Mom in databases.

I'm left with the impression that daughter may not have same last name as Mom.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090528/NEWS02/905289997

Article published May 28, 2009

...Roy Lee Smith, 48, was released from state prison in February, 2008, after serving time for a 1991 conviction for criminal sexual conduct...

...According to an affidavit, Smith gave his nephew’s van to George Kennedy, a convicted sex offender who remains in custody on an unrelated parole violation. Authorities have said Kennedy is also a person of interest in the girl’s disappearance.

According to the court record, authorities have searched the van, retrieved a tool from it, and have sent it for testing....

More on Van:
http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090529/NEWS02/905290493/0/ADVERTISE published May 29, 2009

...The affidavit said Smith gave his nephew's 1993 GMC van to Kennedy. Authorities found a steel multi-knife tool set and fishing weights in the van that was found parked in the 6100 block of North Monroe Street after the girl disappeared.

The tool set and fishing equipment were among items sent to the crime lab for testing...

Transcription of facts listed on information that tfrohning kindly provided in Post # 8:

Sex Male

Race White

Date of Birth Jul 7 1960

Age 48

Hair Black

Eyes Brown

Height 5'09

Weight 225lbs

No alias'

Known scars, marks Tattos None

Offense

750.520D
Description Criminal Sexual Conduct - Third Degree (Multiple Variables)State

MI Conviction Date Not Available
Court Name Not Available

Address
15501 S Telegraph Rd
Monroe MI 48161

Last Verification Date 04/01/2009

Registration Date 10/26/1995

Registration Expiration 10/26/2020

Registration Status Compliant (Since rearrested for parole violation)

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
750.520d Criminal sexual conduct in the third degree; felony.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ii...g.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-520d

Can someone help me find a link that shows that this tool was tested and the results are in? TIA

so a 48 year old sex offender is "courting" a 24 year old? nice

Peliman, great find on that article you posted!

Hi-Lite market is on Telegraph road, same as Smith indicates in your info Kat. Not mapped yet to see how far. Just rang a bell.

Hi-Lite Super Market
15539 S Telegraph Road
Monroe, MI 48161

Roy Smith (registered)
15501 S Telegraph Rd
Monroe MI 48161

Too close oh man er woman

Hi-Lite Super Market
15539 S Telegraph Road
Monroe, MI 48161

Roy Smith (registered)
15501 S Telegraph Rd
Monroe MI 48161

Too close oh man er woman

0.1 mile, a nice casual short stroll. Are you working on a map peliman or should I?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back