New Cloud Formations To Be Named

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
These look cool. Great picture.

More about these clouds;

The Royal Meteorological Society is now gathering detailed information for the days and locations where the asperatus clouds have been seen in an attempt to understand exactly what is causing them.

Officials will then apply to the UN's World Meteorological Organisation in Geneva to have the new cloud type considered for addition into the International Cloud Atlas, the system used by meteorologists across the globe.

:dance:

Thank you for posting! I am going to show these to my kids as soon as they get up:)

Those are fascinating. How does a new cloud formation come to be?

Doodoo,doodoo, twilight zone music.

Way cool! If I had looked up and saw those above my house, I probably would have been a little freaked out.

Wow, they're a little scary looking. Wonder if we've had them form in the U.S. It will be interesting to learn more about the clouds and the massive amount of heat that was reported they need to form along with moisture.

They do look ominous!

I'd run for cover if I saw them above the house! :blushing:

i am pretty sure these are the clouds that form before the mother ship arrives.

If the pictures had been on a different website, I would of thought they were photoshopped. I would of freaked out too if they were over my house.

Have you ever seen the movie The Neverending story? If you have it looks kinda like the nothing, LOL.... Its absolutly beautiful

Remembering cloud names was always one of my least favorite things in school. I don't know why, but I could never remember which ones were what. Those poor kids with another cloud name to remember. Haha. These are cool, though!

I'd love to see these from an airplane. I wonder if they look different from the rest from up there.

I can imagine the whole town screaming (collectively, of course) "Armageddon!!"
trippycloud.jpg

And these aren't the same ones, but I've never seen them before and they're still as eerie! (We have boring skies over Missouri, I guess!)
sci1-mammatus1.jpg

Lol off topic but I was looking at this forum from my phone and it looks like it reads "new cloud formations to be named steely dan" on the Up to the Minute thread.

I was like WHOA WHAT?

Lol off topic but I was looking at this forum from my phone and it looks like it reads "new cloud formations to be named steely dan" on the Up to the Minute thread.

I was like WHOA WHAT?

And why shouldn't they be?! :snooty:

That first photo that kittenish posted gave me chills. It looks too much like the background of Munch's "The Scream."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back