OH - Newborn baby boy found alive after being abandoned on the road 6/9/09

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
LEWIS CENTER, Ohio — Paramedics believe a newborn boy who was found abandoned in a grassy area near a supermarket on Tuesday was discovered not long after his birth.

A woman was passing a Meijer store, located along U.S. Route 23, at about 1:30 p.m. and saw the naked boy lying in grass about six feet from the road, 10TV's Maureen Kocot reported.

The driver called 911 and firefighters from Orange Township responded.

SLIDESHOW: Images From Scene

"I just found a newborn baby on the side, like in the grass, when I was driving to work and I don't know what to do," the woman told the 911 dispatcher.

"Can you tell approximately how old the child is?" the dispatcher asked.

"I have no idea. Small, not scary small, but new," the woman said.

Investigators said they believed the infant was no more than a few hours old, 10TV's Glenn McEntyre reported.

"The baby had no clothing, wasn't wrapped in anything and still had the umbilical cord attached," said Delaware County Sheriff Walter Davis.

Paramedics speculated that the infant may not have survived lying there for another hour, Kocot reported.

The child was found just 100 yards from a day care center.

Despite being exposed to the heat of the midday sun, paramedic Micah Scott said the baby was doing surprisingly well, McEntyre reported.

"He was doing a little bit of crying, but he was calm and moving his arms and legs," Scott said. "He had good color."

The infant was transported to Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus. Authorities said the boy was expected to make a full recovery.

Investigators said they were checking nearby businesses to see if surveillance video could lead to whoever abandoned the child.

They also said they were searching for a white car that was apparently seen in the area. No make or model was available.

"Right now it's too early to jump ahead of ourselves," Davis said. "We need to find out who the parents are (and) how the baby got out here. There's no tip that's too small. Feel free to contact us immediately and we'll follow up on every call that we get."

Stay with 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for continuing coverage.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2009/06/09/story_newborn.html?sid=102

I'm so glad this sweet child was found before it was too late. From the pictures it seems he was close to the road so maybe whoever put him there was hoping he would be seen.

The picture of the rescue personnel, especially the one holding the little guy, made me smile. You can tell they know they are holding precious cargo (an old term my mom used to use).

I am glad the baby was found. Hopefully they will find out who dropped it off. I never understand when I read stories like this how someone can just leave them to fend for themselves all alone.

What a picture, that paramedic practically running into the ER with the baby, but looking down into his little face.

I'm so grateful he was found in time. Oh my.

I guess all the resources society have made available to relinquish infants safely is no match for the shame or the selfishness that led to this abandonment. You can't legislate against human stupidiy :( . Good luck sweet little boy, welcome to the world.

You would think that the mom dumping that baby could have at least wrapped him in a blanket or shirt, or anything. Sweet little pumpkin.

Our society no longer has values. If you have any these days, you are mocked. It is a very sad time in this country.

What a picture, that paramedic practically running into the ER with the baby, but looking down into his little face.

I'm so grateful he was found in time. Oh my.

I guess all the resources society have made available to relinquish infants safely is no match for the shame or the selfishness that led to this abandonment. You can't legislate against human stupidiy :( . Good luck sweet little boy, welcome to the world.

I found that picture especially moving too. Just seeing the EMT cradling the baby and looking down into his face just appears he's reassuring the baby "it's okay buddy, we got cha!"
Very heartwarming!
EMTbaby.jpg

You would think that the mom dumping that baby could have at least wrapped him in a blanket or shirt, or anything. Sweet little pumpkin.

Our society no longer has values. If you have any these days, you are mocked. It is a very sad time in this country.

Or dropped him off at the daycare that was apparently 100 yards away. Thank God the baby is ok.

I wonder if it was the mom that dropped the baby off. For some reason the first thing that popped into my mind was that the father might have done it. Didn't want the baby so as soon as he was delivered he dropped him off by the side of the road. I would think if the infant were only a couple hours old then someone other than the mother was driving that white car (if it was involved at all).

I am glad the baby was found. Hopefully they will find out who dropped it off. I never understand when I read stories like this how someone can just leave them to fend for themselves all alone.

Especially when there are much better ways to do this. The day care center was so close.

I am glad to hear that the baby is safe and doing well. Thank god for the woman who called.

My god, is this a daily occurance? :(
Thankfully, the little guy was okay ..

WTF is wrong his "mother"??? :behindbar

I found that picture especially moving too. Just seeing the EMT cradling the baby and looking down into his face just appears he's reassuring the baby "it's okay buddy, we got cha!"
Very heartwarming!
EMTbaby.jpg

Does look that way, doesn't it? :blowkiss:

Thanks for posting the picture ..

When I read the thread title, I thought it was an update on the baby who had been found in Florida covered with ants. It is very disheartening to see yet another story of an abandoned baby. Does human life mean nothing anymore? Why have a baby only to toss it aside?

When I read the thread title, I thought it was an update on the baby who had been found in Florida covered with ants. It is very disheartening to see yet another story of an abandoned baby. Does human life mean nothing anymore? Why have a baby only to toss it aside?

I agree..why not give the child up for adoption?? There are wonderful couples out there who cannot have children but I'm sure would provide this baby with a loving and wonderful home. God that just really angers me.

Anyways, yeah, I sort of thought someone might think that from the thread title, but these cases are so similar (just out of a different state) and so I really didn't know how to word it.

Snipped from article:
The Delaware County Sheriff's Office released a photo Wednesday of a woman who it said might have seen a newborn dropped along the side of a road.

According to the sheriff's office, surveillance video was taken from the Goodwill store, located along nearby U.S. Route 23. Investigators said that they believe the woman seen in the video may have information connected with the case.

"We want to be clear, we do not believe this woman is the baby's mother," said Delaware County Sheriff Walter Davis. "This woman was in the area at the time the baby was abandoned. We want to talk to her and see if she has any information that may be helpful."

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2009/06/10/story_baby_update.html?sid=102

Photo of the woman at link.

I just can't imagine anyone doing this - teenage mom, cheated on my husband mom, psycho mom, drugged up mom, "I was scared" mom, "don't want a baby" mom or dad, stole the baby kidnapper, "I'm on the run" mom, "I didn't know about the safe haven law" mom - no scenario in my mind can fathom this or similar situations where infants (or older children either) are abandoned like this. It happens way too often and I don't know what the answer is. Thank God this one was found in time!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back