FL - Cats being mutilated and killed in miami-dade, fl

Chezhire

Inactive
Reaction score
SNIPPED:
"Miami Area Sees Rash of Cat MutilationsBy SARAH LARIMER, AP
posted: 3 HOURS 38 MINUTES AGOcomments: 215filed under: Animal News, Crime News, National NewsPrintShareText SizeAAAMIAMI (June 10) -- The black cat's body was found in the grass, just feet from the hedges where she slept each day.
Miss Kitty was still warm to the touch when the South Florida couple who cared for her found her in the yard next door. Her head was smashed and her back legs skinned, like pieces of chicken in a grocer's freezer. And she was not the only one to suffer such a fate.
Skip over this content
'I Feel Terrorized'J Pat Carter, AP4 photos Alicia Glatzer holds a photo of one her cats, Sarah, Tuesday, at her home in Miami, Fla. Sarah is one of about two dozen cats that have been brutally killed over the past month in two south Miami-Dade County communities.

Horrified owners have been finding their cats killed and mutilated for the past month in two south Miami-Dade County communities. Many of the cats were missing fur and appeared to have been cut with a sharp, straight instrument, police said. In all, investigators are looking into about two dozen deaths, with enough evidence to try to prosecute at least 15 of the cases.
Louis B. Schlesinger, a professor of forensic psychology at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, said residents should be cautious, even if initial signs don't indicate humans are in danger. He said the man believed to the "Boston Strangler" also shot cats with arrows.
"This should be taken as seriously as could possibly be," he said.
Local authorities are urging pet owners to keep their animals indoors. A tip line has also been established, and local organizations have contributed thousands in reward money for information would helps lead to the arrest of the culprit.
A month ago, 42-year-old Alicia Glatzer's husband found their cat, Sarah, outside their Palmetto Bay home. The cat had been skinned and half of her face was missing. The family initially thought that the cat had been hit by a car, but a week later learned of the other killings.
..."
Bolded by me, Chezhire.
See here: http://news.aol.com/article/cats-mutilated-florida/521377

I hope they catch whomever is doing this, and fast. People, if you can call them that, who do these things can escalate to killing humans.

I know exactly how these owners are feeling. I found my cat on our neighbors lawn and she was cut in half.

Sick, sick people. When they find this who's doing this I think they need to be mutilated.:furious:

I'm going to be sick ..
What the hell is wrong with some people? :furious:

Ocean, I am so sorry you had to find your cat in that condition .. :(
Was the perp ever caught?

Thanks, Marla. No they weren't. We had two new "families" move into the neighborhood right before that. I have my suspicions but can't prove it.

I'm glad my other two cats stay in the back or front yard and don't wander off like Buttons did.

I know exactly how these owners are feeling. I found my cat on our neighbors lawn and she was cut in half.

Sick, sick people. When they find this who's doing this I think they need to be mutilated.:furious:

I feel so sorry for your kitty and for you. That is horrible, unthinkable. I hope they catch the person who is doing this soon. And yes-- I hate to say it but I'd love to see this perp get mutilated the same way!

OMg how frikkin horrible! This is my worst fear to come upon an animal in this way. The only reason I couldnt be a veterinarian is because I know there would be so many I could not save. What a horrible fate these poor babies had to go through. Hopefully they went into shock quickly and couldnt feel all of the horrible things these sick sick persons put on them.

Oh, Ocean I am so sorry for your loss. How horrible! We've been hearing this story on our local news up here in east central florida lately. what a terrible thing! Some people are just sick.

Five more cats found slain in Palmetto Bay yards
The cat killer stalking Palmetto and Cutler Bay felines appears to have struck again on Wednesday, when five more were found dead.

So far, police have evidence to file charges in 15 cases, said Miami-Dade Police Detective Roy Rutland, a department spokesman. Detectives are awaiting the results of necropsies before deciding on other cases, Rutland said. The charge probably would be cruelty to animals, he said.

Rutland would not say whether police had a suspect.

(snipped)

http://www.miamiherald.com/460/stor...2&mi_pluck_action=page_nav#Comments_Container

If they have enough evidence to file charges, doesn't that mean they have a suspect?

God, this is horrible. I just cannot imagine. How can he do this w/o the cats screeching....does he just sneak up on them? So many cats are skiddish.....they would run off if approached by a stranger.

This person is a serial killer in training. Very scary.

Five more cats found slain in Palmetto Bay yards.....

So far, police have evidence to file charges in 15 cases, said Miami-Dade Police Detective Roy Rutland, a department spokesman. ......
Rutland would not say whether police had a suspect.

(snipped)

http://www.miamiherald.com/460/stor...2&mi_pluck_action=page_nav#Comments_Container

FIVE more??? Surely, someone has to have seen something! I read about this on the news yesterday and was horrified! If LE has evidence to file charges on 15 of the cases, they need to do so NOW!!!! :banghead: Why wait??? I can't wait to find out the identity of the perp(s).

FIVE more??? Surely, someone has to have seen something! I read about this on the news yesterday and was horrified! If LE has evidence to file charges on 15 of the cases, they need to do so NOW!!!! :banghead: Why wait??? I can't wait to find out the identity of the perp(s).

I seem to remember other periods of cat mutilations. IIRC, they seem to come in waves, 3, 4 years apart? Sometimes I wonder if it is just one or two sick individuals doing this or a planned ritual of some kind.

I seem to remember other periods of cat mutilations. IIRC, they seem to come in waves, 3, 4 years apart? Sometimes I wonder if it is just one or two sick individuals doing this or a planned ritual of some kind.

there were other cat mutilation periods in Miami?:(

What I find most disturbing is that (I believe) all of the cats were found dead in their own yards. So, someone finds the cats, kills them and returns them to their yards or the cats were all just killed in their yards. When I had an out door cat, she wandered around and didn't always stay in my yard:(

there were other cat mutilation periods in Miami?:(

What I find most disturbing is that (I believe) all of the cats were found dead in their own yards. So, someone finds the cats, kills them and returns them to their yards or the cats were all just killed in their yards. When I had an out door cat, she wandered around and didn't always stay in my yard:(

Not sure if it was Miami. I just remember there have been several spates, years apart, where lots of cats get mutilated in a certain place. If I get a chance I'll look this up and see where the other mutilation cases have occured.

This story is horrible!!!!!

OMG I pray they find out who the is and arrest/skin that person!!!:behindbar

So sorry Ocean.... Poor Buttons... Horrible people to do a kitty like that!!!!

Thanks, Marla. No they weren't. We had two new "families" move into the neighborhood right before that. I have my suspicions but can't prove it.

I'm glad my other two cats stay in the back or front yard and don't wander off like Buttons did.

I just read about this and I'm glad to see the police are taking it seriously.

I hope they catch this person before (and if) they move on to humans.

It appears that animal cruelty is a felony with a maximum sentence of five years for each cat killed. I pray that the perp is caught and given the maximum for each and every life he took. :furious: Otherwise, he/she will be back amongst us and we would have to worry about the violence repeating itself, or escalating to the killings of human beings.

SNIPPED: "Lauderhill police find yet another mutilated cat
Total number of felines slain in the city up to 17
By Sofia Santana and Rachel Hatzipanagos | Sun Sentinel
4:47 PM EDT, June 10, 2009
LAUDERHILL - In what seems to have become a daily occurrence in the city, another dead cat was found on someone's front lawn this afternoon, police said.

The latest discovery happened about 3 p.m. in the 4900 block of Northwest 12th Street, in the same neighborhood where police have collected 16 other dead cats since May 30.

The latest cat appeared to have been dead a couple of days, said Lauderhill police spokesman Capt. Rick Rocco.

Earlier this afternoon, another suspicious cat death was reported in Palmetto Bay, the latest of dozens of cats found slaughtered in recent weeks in South Miami-Dade County, according to WSVN-Ch. 7.

Lauderhill police officials don't think their cases are related to those in Miami-Dade.

Broward animal control officers on Tuesday afternoon captured a stray dog in Lauderhill believed to be part of a small pack suspected in the feline deaths in the city, officials said.

The dog is a black male pit bull mix that may have been roaming the area in and around the 5000 block of Northwest 16th Street with three other dogs, said Lisa Mendheim, spokeswoman for the Animal Care and Regulation Division.

Necropsies on the first four cats were under way today, with the rest to be done in the coming days, Rocco said.

"It's just evil times, horrible times," said Carol Barber, 43, whose neighbor discovered a dead cat outside his home Monday. "Growing up, we had cats. This is just awful."

Barber's neighbor, Errol Sibble, 54, said he was taking out his trash Monday morning when he spotted a mound of black and white fur on his lawn. He didn't get a close look but knew the creature was dead.

"I called the police because I had heard what was happening on the news," he said. "This is puzzling."

Detectives in South Miami-Dade are dealing with a similar rash of feline fatalities, with more than two dozen cats reported killed in Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay.

Miami-Dade police officials think they have a human serial kitty killer on their hands.

Lauderhill police, meanwhile, hope necropsies will help confirm that their feline fatalities were the work of dogs and not a person...."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...hill-cat-deaths-bn060609,0,1921349.storyClick link here:

Okay, this might sound kind of funny, but can they run DNA from under the cats nails like they do on humans? I can believe that none of these cats wouldn't be clawing at the perp. Maybe a couple of them got a good swipe and might have some evidence tying the same person to several crimes?

Okay, this might sound kind of funny, but can they run DNA from under the cats nails like they do on humans? I can believe that none of these cats wouldn't be clawing at the perp. Maybe a couple of them got a good swipe and might have some evidence tying the same person to several crimes?
Good idea, kittenish. I sure wish that local LE would put a call in to the FBI, if they haven't already, to see about getting some DNA processing help. Though it's a great start, necropsies alone aren't going to tell them what they need to know. Though some might say that we already have too many juman-based violent crimes to investigate, I personally feel that the level of violence here + the sheer number of cats they're finding merits a closer look, before the killer escalates. :eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back