KC's Anniversary Reaction

Verité

Former Member
Reaction score
A couple days ago, on the Random Thoughts thread, Brini identified the phenomenon which often marks the anniversary of a traumatic event, as an "anniversary reaction."
I suggested in a post on that same thread, that this is a way the unconscious mind tries to rework and reconcile the conflict through a type of "reliving" of that event
because the trauma seems to remain etched in the brain/memory, sometimes beyond conscious recall, particularly in cases of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

I suggested that KC might be expected to experience such a reaction, to include awaking with night sweats, nightmares and other signs of severe stress (as she is reported
by TL to have done a year ago). I indicated that this might occur on 6/9 or 6/10, the dates which I've suspected as the most credible for Caylee's "disappearance".

I don't in any way hint that I'm psychic, but I've witnessed a lot of these type "anniversary reactions" in other folks over the years, and have personally experienced them.

I just heard on the NG show that KC has, in the last couple days (6/9, 6/l0), shown sleep disturbance with awaking, "screaming," and other signs of severe stress,
on the very date(s) that I'd predicted in my post (Random Thoughts thread).

Please share your thoughts/reactions about the likelihood that KC has been and may continue to show an "anniversary reaction." (NG says that there are those
who believe KC is now just trying to fake insanity for a NGBRoI defense).

I am unsure as to why you think Caylee's disappearance happened on 6/9/08 or 6/10/08? She was seen with Cindy on 6/15/08.

Probably previously discussed, but would love to know your theory on those dates.

Interesting - I didn't think of that but that's exactly what's happening. If she pleads insanity she would have to admit she did it.

Never, ever gonna happen.

I heard the same thing on Nancy Grace and have to admit that my first thought is that Caylee might be haunting her. Many people don't believe in that sort of thing, I know, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Caylee might have a few things to say to Mama!

It would certainly make someone like KC freak out.

~*

IMO KC is acting out a part from a script written by her attorney AL.

Interesting Topic Verite. but I should point out Caylee was seen by third parties on 6/15, so I think your dates might need some tweaking. We have photographic evidence as well.

Even with Caylee having "gone missing" on 6/16 the anniversary effect could still be in play ... it's getting very close to that date.

Even with Caylee having "gone missing" on 6/16 the anniversary effect could still be in play ... it's getting very close to that date.

I agree. I have heard of this too many times to count, and cases where people were hospitalized and didn't know it was the anniversary of a significant trauma until later.

I have personally experienced it myself, once when I was aware of the date and once when I didn't realize until I saw the hospital bill. It is well known among grief counselors.

I also know that the days leading up to the anniversary are often worse than the actual day as far as stress goes. Sometimes the worry about how bad it will be is much more difficult than the actual day.

I don't know if Casey is faking or who is sharing this info, but none of this would surprise me. She would have to be inhuman not to be feeling some degree of panic by now.

Totally agree. Just don't want to perpetuate inaccurate information.

Well...with the recent "report's" of KC screaming in her cell and crying out in her sleep, sounds like she's starting the Anniversary Reaction already.

Interesting - I can remember being upset on a certain day, a friend hurt my feelings and I overreacted. I even said, "I don't know why I'm so upset about this." Then, I read on a relative's facebook page, "Ten years ago today, my baby died." Yeah, my friend was rude but any other day I would have been annoyed, rather than hurt. Once I realized that was the "real" reason I was so sad, I had a good cry and dealt with the friend situation. I also was very upset over the baby dying, a few years after the fact. I wondered why I was so sad, years later, then I realized it was his birthday.

Although, KC is a sociopath, so it might not affect her like it does other people.

Sounds like an acknowledgment of guilt to me. Whether it is calculated to garner sympathy, the acting out of her subconscious, or (entertaining the remote possibility) out of genuine remorse, I am not sure. I suspect that if it is the former we can expect the slow evolution of an accidental death defense.

It feels good to believe this defendant might be having some somatic reactions because it makes her more like us, more understandable, more human. Is there something besides rumor that she has any of these behaviors?

Sounds like an acknowledgment of guilt to me. Whether it is calculated to garner sympathy, the acting out of her subconscious, or (entertaining the remote possibility) out of genuine remorse, I am not sure. I suspect that if it is the former we can expect the slow evolution of an accidental death defense.

I agree.

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
is an anxiety disorder that can develop after exposure to a terrifying event or ordeal in which grave physical harm occurred or was threatened. Traumatic events that may trigger PTSD include violent personal assaults, natural or human-caused disasters, accidents, or military combat.

Defense could use this - a result of the traumatic event and assault when ZG took Caylee from her at JBP AND she was threatened and her family was threatened

Verité;3862374 said:
A couple days ago, on the Random Thoughts thread, Brini identified the phenomenon which often marks the anniversary of a traumatic event, as an "anniversary reaction."
I suggested in a post on that same thread, that this is a way the unconscious mind tries to rework and reconcile the conflict through a type of "reliving" of that event
because the trauma seems to remain etched in the brain/memory, sometimes beyond conscious recall, particularly in cases of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

I suggested that KC might be expected to experience such a reaction, to include awaking with night sweats, nightmares and other signs of severe stress (as she is reported
by TL to have done a year ago). I indicated that this might occur on 6/9 or 6/10, the dates which I've suspected as the most credible for Caylee's "disappearance".

I don't in any way hint that I'm psychic, but I've witnessed a lot of these type "anniversary reactions" in other folks over the years, and have personally experienced them.

I just heard on the NG show that KC has, in the last couple days (6/9, 6/l0), shown sleep disturbance with awaking, "screaming," and other signs of severe stress,
on the very date(s) that I'd predicted in my post (Random Thoughts thread).

Please share your thoughts/reactions about the likelihood that KC has been and may continue to show an "anniversary reaction." (NG says that there are those
who believe KC is now just trying to fake insanity for a NGBRoI defense).

Great job with your prediction!

Even if Casey is faking it it wouldn't give her an "in" to an insanity defense.
If she's faking it for this reason she might as well stop now and save herself some good sleeping time.. Cuz it ain't gonna do no good!

http://www.medicinenet.com/posttraumatic_stress_disorder/page3.htm#signs

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (cont.)
What are the signs and symptoms of PTSD?
The three groups of symptoms that are required to assign the diagnosis of PTSD are
* recurrent re-experiencing of the trauma (for example, troublesome memories, flashbacks that are usually caused by reminders of the traumatic events, recurring nightmares about the trauma and/or dissociative reliving of the trauma),
* avoidance to the point of having a phobia of places, people, and experiences that remind the sufferer of the trauma and a general numbing of emotional responsiveness, and
* chronic physical signs of hyperarousal, including sleep problems, trouble concentrating, irritability, anger, poor concentration, blackouts or difficulty remembering things, increased tendency and reaction to being startled, and hypervigilance to threat.

Text Book Reactions to Caylee being taken from KC at JBP? or acting?
IMO Defense attorney AL is working overtime to get DP off the table

I think this is a very interesting theory to explain her nightmares. NG thought it was the beginning of an insanity plea. I think this is more plausible because I don't see her EVER admitting she killed Caylee.

As a health care professional who has worked in many Florida prisons and jails, as well as Chatahootchee Forensics unit, may I just add: in Florida, there are only 2 possible defenses based on mental illness: NGRI and GBMI ( not guilty by reason of insanity and guilty but mentally ill) Both of these defenses are exceedingly difficult to obtain. Both require review of past behavior and proof of inability to cope with reality. With the overwhelming evidence of pings, texts,emails, photos, etc. in this case, this defendant could never provide that background. Any issues about post-traumatic stress syndrome or personality disorder are moot.

i hope every time come this year kc continues with the nightmares the nightsweats the sleep deprevation. what she did to caylee is unforgivable and i hope and pray that she sees everynight when she lays in her cell what she did to her. i want it to haunt her for the rest of her miserable life.

As a health care professional who has worked in many Florida prisons and jails, as well as Chatahootchee Forensics unit, may I just add: in Florida, there are only 2 possible defenses based on mental illness: NGRI and GBMI ( not guilty by reason of insanity and guilty but mentally ill) Both of these defenses are exceedingly difficult to obtain. Both require review of past behavior and proof of inability to cope with reality. With the overwhelming evidence of pings, texts,emails, photos, etc. in this case, this defendant could never provide that background. Any issues about post-traumatic stress syndrome or personality disorder are moot.

True although it would not stop Defense from somehow entering it during cross of an expert as being an explanation of KC's lack of emotion. Also Defense could use it in some form in Motions that AL is going to pen to attempt to get the DP dropped.
I just grabbed PTSD as an example - they could use a combination of disorders
with some background info to back it up. KC telling friend she is losing it - JG saying the KC now is not the KC he knew - stealing money from family started after Caylee was born etc.
IMO she is just a "bad seed" but Defense is adamant about this not being a DP case and AL will use whatever and everything to get DP dropped before trial. And that is half of their battle.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back