Website
www.facebook.com
norwood_kimberly2.jpg
norwood_kimberly_ap.jpg

Missing Since: May 20, 1989 from Hallsville, Texas
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: October 12, 1976
Height and Weight: 5'4 - 5'5, 95 - 110 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Norwood has a two-inch scar on her abdomen from kidney surgery. Her ears are pierced. She is right-handed. Her nicknames are Kim and Kimbo.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A white t-shirt with a teddy bear design or Milk Duds images and red and black cows imprinted on it, dark blue or black button-fly jeans, white socks, black Keds tennis shoes, a black hair bow, a Swatch watch, and some rings, including a gold ring with an aquamarine stone.

Details of Disappearance

Norwood was last seen at approximately 5:15 p.m. in her hometown of Hallsville, Texas. She was walking with three friends in the Caney Creek Estates subdivision at the time. The four children went their separate ways less than one mile from Norwood's family's house. She never arrived home and has never been heard from again.

Less than an hour before her disappearance, Norwood had an argument with her mother over the telephone because her mother refused to let her spend the night at a friend's home. Norwood is not believed to have run away from home, however; her parents think she was abducted. They theorize that the kidnapper(s) lived nearby, because the subdivision where she vanished is rural and densely wooded and a person unfamiliar with the area could become lost easily.

The home where Norwood resided at the time of her disappearance has since been torn down, but her parents live in another house close by. She was within two weeks of graduating Hallsville Middle School at the time she went missing, and was due to enter Hallsville Junior High School in the fall. She was a good student who had tested into accelerated learning classes. Norwood's hobbies in 1989 included horseback riding and spending time with her friends and her sister. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Harrison County Sheriff's Office

903-935-4888

http://arklatexhomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=72901

1 Sept 09

On May 20, 1989, Kimberly Norwood disappeared from a back road in Harrison County, Texas. The 12-year-old was walking home from a friend's house, but never arrived.

Twenty years have past since Kimberly vanished. Her story is much like that of Jaycee Dugard, who was kidnapped when she was just 11-years-old. But after 18 years, there's a happy ending for Jaycee. She was reunited with her family Saturday.

Jaycee's story is bringing renewed hope to Kimberly Norwood's mother, Janice.

"Oh I'm, I'm so happy for that mother. That's just got to be the best thing that could ever happen," said Janice Norwood, as she held back tears.

She hopes Jaycee's discovery will spark interest in her daughter's case.

more at link

Has anyone thought she might be Princess Blue?

we actually lived only a few miles from Hallsville, before my hubby retired and we moved back north. Any how.........I remember hearing about this case when we lived there ( 1998-2006) and researching ect...........at that time the speculation was that she had been placed in one of the many deep wells in the area........don't even remember where or how I heard that but it had to have been some where on the net.

we actually lived only a few miles from Hallsville, before my hubby retired and we moved back north. Any how.........I remember hearing about this case when we lived there ( 1998-2006) and researching ect...........at that time the speculation was that she had been placed in one of the many deep wells in the area........don't even remember where or how I heard that but it had to have been some where on the net.

Ah, creepyyyy. Still, the ring makes me think that she's princess blue. I've been looking at it since I found out about this girl.

Kimberly Norwood - Ruled Out By DNA

http://www.projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=1208.0;topicseen

Both her's and Princess Blue's face are kinda square. The height is off a bit but I read somewhere that she had a ring with a blue stone in it. It could maybe be her dad or uncle's? I know when I was little I took my dad's class ring to play dress up.

EDIT: http://www.lrcf.net/missing/KimberlyNorwood/KimberlyNorwood.html
Thats where I got the ring. Princess Blue's is silver, is it possible that it was just like a finish that wore off?

I am waiting to hear back from TXDPS on whether Kimberly Norwood has been submitted before as a possible match to being Princess Blue or if she has already been ruled out as being Princess Blue. I will post when I find out.

Don't know what this is worth but I live in Hallsville and work with a bunch of people who lived in Hallsville their whole lives and they say there have always been rumors from day one about the family being involved. Apparently there were several incidences at the house prior to the disappearance. Not sure about the details so I don't know how reliable the info is.

Texas girl, 12, disappeared in 1989

Of all the experiences they shared in their 12 years together, Janice Norwood still recalls a special moment when her daughter Kimberly confided in her while they were going into town one day.

[snip]

The investigation is open and all leads are actively investigated. But no ''legitimate suspects'' have emerged in the 21-year-old case, says Tom McCool, the sheriff of Harrison County, Texas.

"There's never been any evidence that would support an indictment or arrest,'' McCool says, adding that none of the original persons of interest in the case have been excluded. He declined to provide more details.

More: http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/27/grace.coldcase.norwood/index.html

Thank you for the update I4G.

I wanted to snip this from the article because I think it's a very important statement by her Mother.

Kimberly would be 34 on October 12. Norwood ardently insists that Kimberly ''will be'' 34, repeating that she believes her daughter is alive.

Most of us as outsiders looking in would assume that Kimberly is no longer with us.

But the tenacity in which a great many parents of missing children still believe their children are alive even (as this Mother who's daughter has been missing for almost 21 years) for years and decades leaves me humbled and a bit grateful I have not had to share this experience.

Prayers for Kimberly's family.

Don't know what this is worth but I live in Hallsville and work with a bunch of people who lived in Hallsville their whole lives and they say there have always been rumors from day one about the family being involved. Apparently there were several incidences at the house prior to the disappearance. Not sure about the details so I don't know how reliable the info is.

I would say your information is very unreliable. This family was never suspected of having anything to do with their daughter's disappearance. Her parents have searched for her tirelessly including appearing on Oprah Winfrey, and search for her to this day.

Texas girl, 12, disappeared in 1989

t1larg.kim2.jpg

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/27/grace.coldcase.norwood/index.html

Kimberly never made it to her junior high school. She disappeared on May 20, 1989, a Saturday. She had spent the night at a friend's house in her hometown of Hallsville, Texas.

She came home around lunchtime, had a bite to eat and cleaned her aquarium, Norwood says. Afterward, she went out again to play with friends.

Close to 5 p.m., Kimberly called her mother from a friend's house, asking if the girl could sleep over at the Norwood home.

Norwood said no, because she ''really didn't care for that little girl.'' Kimberly pleaded, ''But we won't bother nobody,'' Norwood says.

Mother and daughter hung up the phone, both in a bit of a huff. That was the last time they spoke.

About an hour later, Kimberly was reportedly walking with three friends when they went their separate ways less than a mile from Norwood's house. It was the last time anyone saw her.

Hallsville has several strip mines(coal mines that are mined on the surface). The coal is dug out by huge drag lines. It would be easy to put her body under a pile of brush and it be covered by coal or soil that is being used to restore the land after the mining.

Also, Hallsville is very close to I-20. It was only a month ago that Lillian Descoteau's body was dumped on a frontage road off of I-20. Her investigation is scanning from Dallas, TX (where she lived) to Florida. A major interstate like I-20 makes it very quick for someone to snatch a person and be long gone by the time the person is discovered missing.

http://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/news/families-of-the-missing-find-new-hope-after-cleveland-rescue/article_20228859-022e-544d-8439-e650ac48f59e.html

Story recently posted in the "Marshall News Messenger" on May 14, 2013

Families of the missing find new hope after Cleveland rescue By Sarah Thomas sthomas@newsmessenger.com | Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:00 am

Two East Texas families are living with renewed hope for their missing loved ones after three Cleveland women — missing for more than 10 years — were found alive Monday.

Janice Norwood’s daughter, Kimberly Norwood, vanished a mile away from the family home in Hallsville more than 20 years ago.

She was 12 years old.

“Every time they find someone it ... gives me hope,” Janice Norwood said.

Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight and Gina DeJesus had been held captive for 10 years in a Cleveland, Ohio, home before Berry was able to escape Monday.

“I think it’s just awesome. I’m so glad for their families,” Janice Norwood said.

Norwood’s daughter was last seen on the evening of May 20, 1989, by friends who were walking her home. Kimberly and her friends split up during the walk.

The description of what Kimberly was last seen wearing — 1980s staples that included a Swatch watch and black Keds tennis shoes — is a reminder of how long it has been since the girl described as a good student, in love with horses and giggly about boys disappeared.

“She was a normal 12-year-old,” Janice Norwood said as she struggled to recall memories from those years ago.

As decades passed, Janice Norwood’s hope of finding her missing child has had its peaks and valleys, with peaks spurred by news of other missing girls reunited with their families.

“It happened three years ago when they found Jaycee Dugard,” Janice Norwood said.

Dugard was abucted in 1991 in California and was missing 18 years.

Hope isn’t just for families. Police continue to work the Norwood case, following leads and tips as recently as this past year.

“We still get tips from around the country. The most recent tip we got was regarding a woman who lives in California and thought a neighbor looked similar. That was eight months ago,” said Jay Webb, spokesman for the Harrison County Sheriff’s Office.

But Webb didn’t want to say if police believe Norwood’s family would be as fortunate as the families of the Cleveland women, adding the outcome there is what family, friends and investigators hope for in every case.

But in reality, Webb said, what happened in Cleveland is almost unheard of.

“I would say to find someone, especially three ladies that have been kept secreted away for this long, is highly unusual,” he said.

Still, Webb said, he has never closed the books on the Norwood case.

“This is absolutely an ongoing investigation. It has never been closed. There’s been a complete and thorough investigation for over 20 years,” he said.

Nothing short of finding Kimberly Norwood, Webb said, would end the investigation, one that has included the efforts of the Texas Rangers, sheriff’s deputies, FBI agents, psychics and four private investigators hired by the Norwood family.

“We won’t close this case until we find someone who stands up and says ‘I’m Kimberly Norwood’ and we can positively ID them or we find remains we can ID as her,” he said.

Norwood struggled to find words as she imagined what reuniting with her daughter would feel like.

“There are no words,” she said. “It would just be so awesome. That would be the best Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and Christmas there could ever be.”

Although Janice Norwood has gained a new hope for her daughter’s return, she said her husband, Bobby, doesn’t share the same feelings.

“I sense Kim is alive. A lot of people don’t. Bobby doesn’t,” she said.

After struggling to find the words, Janice Norwood said it would be more difficult to die having never found her daughter than to have found her dead, adding not knowing and not getting closure is the worst part.

“Not finding her at all would be terrible. We want to know. We need to know,” she said.

And time could be running out for the couple whose health is rapidly declining — worsened by the stress of losing their daughter.

“Early on I got so tired of people in the grocery store coming up to me because they had seen us on TV or in the newspaper and they told me how strong I was. I just got so tired of hearing it because I don’t think I was that strong. I was just doing what I had to do,” Janice Norwood said.

She survived breast cancer in 2004 and a heart attack two years later. Bobby Norwood suffered a stroke in 2003 and a heart attack in 2010, after which he had quadruple bypass surgery.

Janice Norwood was hospitalized 19 days in March, another six days earlier this month and was recently diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver.

“I know this. When I die, I will know. I’ll know then,” Janice Norwood said.

Jimmy Tidwell

The news from Cleveland fueled optimism in Rusk County, where a man has been missing for more than a year.

James “Jimmy” Tidwell’s truck was found Feb. 28, 2012, about eight miles from his home near Texas 315 and FM 95, said Sgt. David Roberts with the Rusk County Sheriff’s Office.

Lynn Akin, Tidwell’s sister, said no matter how small the possibility of finding her brother alive she, too, welcomes news such as that in Cleveland and the hope it gives her family.

“There are times that I think the worst because I think he would’ve contacted his family,” she said.

Before his disappearance, Akin said she and her brother spoke at least once a week.

“Emotionally, it’s very hard. There’s always those doubts and you constantly think about the ifs and buts, and you drive yourself insane,” she said.

Akin, like Janice Norwood, said she needs closure. She said knowing her brother is dead would at least give his family a way to start the healing process.

“We could begin to put the pieces back together and move on. It would be a bad deal, but it would also be something concrete. Otherwise, you’re just hanging in limbo,” Akin said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back