1072 users online (216 members and 856 guests)  

Websleuths News

Canada - Regina woman abandoned baby in frigid cold

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...807556-cp.html

Thank Heaven for a passerby concerned enough to stop. Wonder what conditional terms were attached to her 5 month sentence.
    JMO

OMG! Thank God the baby is okay

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    OMG! Thank God the baby is okay
    I admired this quote by Halliday...

'Halliday said the sentence issued Monday sends a message that parents need to be accountable for the care and treatment of their children.

“A child can never become the throw-away object of a parents’ intoxication, their anger or their frustration or their despair,”
    she said.
    JMO

I did a little research...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewa...-stroller.html

The Regina woman who left her six-month-old baby in a stroller in -20 C weather will not be going to jail.

On Monday, Natacha Araya, 22, was given a five-month conditional sentence followed by 13 months of probation. It means the woman will not be incarcerated, so long as she follows all the conditions attached to her sentence.
    JMO

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Senten...550/story.html

Checked out in hospital, the baby appeared to be well cared for despite being in "dire need" of a diaper change and was unhurt except for a bruise on her left cheek, court heard.

An extensive search was begun for Araya's second child, a three-year-old boy. When asked about her son, a drunken Araya told police, "What's my son's name?" but would provide police no details on his whereabouts. He was located several hours later at his grandmother's home.
    JMO

I am sorry, but this was way to light of a sentence for this "mother". She should have pulled jail time because if it wasn't for that man stopping, her baby would probably have froze to death. I hope that she doesn't get either of those precious babies back.
    Happy New Years

Quote Originally Posted by teonspaleprincess View Post
    I am sorry, but this was way to light of a sentence for this "mother". She should have pulled jail time because if it wasn't for that man stopping, her baby would probably have froze to death. I hope that she doesn't get either of those precious babies back.
    Sorry to dash your hopes but according to the above article...

'Llewellyn said Araya regained custody of her children in December after taking steps to tackle her drinking and address her parenting skills. "She is saddened and remorseful for what happened," he said.'

She really must have convinced Judge Halliday that she had changed to manage this sentence.
    JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Paintr View Post
    Sorry to dash your hopes but according to the above article...

'Llewellyn said Araya regained custody of her children in December after taking steps to tackle her drinking and address her parenting skills. "She is saddened and remorseful for what happened," he said.'

She really must have convinced Judge Halliday that she had changed to manage this sentence.
    I canot believe that they would give those poor kids back to her, I hope they are keeping a close watch on her...they will be in my prayers.
    Happy New Years

Paintr I have to apologize in advance that I am sorely uninformed about Canada and Canadian laws.

Does Canada have anything similar in place as the USA does in what is known as the Safe Haven law? TIA for your answer.

ETA: I always misspell similar. Because my podunk country spells phonetically
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James