1359 users online (352 members and 1007 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Diploma Denied to Student Who Blew Kiss to Family,

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526642,00.html

This is a little overboard, for sure. I'll never forget when my third child graduated. She was so happy and she was able to walk with a young man she had been with all through the years in school. They looked at each other, hugged in front of everyone, and, arms around each other and joy radiating from their faces, accepted their diplomas and waved at everyone. It makes me so mad to think that at another place, they might not have even received their diplomas.

Maybe all these Gestapo-like school districts should let the parents and students decide since it is their taxes who pay their salaries. The school system has wayyyyy too much control over our kids.

taking a MOMENT LIKE THIS away from this young man for what? A moment that could never be recreated nor re-experienced!!

Blowing a kiss to his mama and he can't get his dimploma? OMG these people are freaks. This man goes through years of education and it's HIS TIME TO SHINE. I'd do more than sue... the person that refused to give her son a diploma and told him to sit down should be fired and NEVER hired anywhere again.

Just so uncalled for. How horrible for her son
    Only my opinion, no one else need agree.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    Maybe all these Gestapo-like school districts should let the parents and students decide since it is their taxes who pay their salaries. The school system has wayyyyy too much control over our kids.
    Gestapo-like -- totally agree!! Some school admins are such azzes that don't use any common sense. They teach students to 'follow the rules' rather than creativity and critical thinking skills.

Gracenote is offline We know that all things work together for good for those who love the Lord.
    I have to agree with the school district--to a reasonable point.

The mother and student signed a behavior agreement, but apparently, like many parents, this mom is teaching her child that rules don't apply to him. He can get up there and act up and she doubtless thinks it's cute. Ugh. My parents strongly encouraged me to follow the rules, and I learned that behavior has consequences, good and bad. Parents don't seem to do that much anymore.

However, they should have just given him his diploma and gotten him off the stage.

Adji, you are not forgotten and you are loved.

Well, this is just ridiculous. Educators should have some sense of proportion, and thankfully, they usually do. Choose the punishment to fit the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracenote View Post
    I have to agree with the school district--to a reasonable point.

The mother and student signed a behavior agreement, but apparently, like many parents, this mom is teaching her child that rules don't apply to him. He can get up there and act up and she doubtless thinks it's cute. Ugh. My parents strongly encouraged me to follow the rules, and I learned that behavior has consequences, good and bad. Parents don't seem to do that much anymore.

However, they should have just given him his diploma and gotten him off the stage.

I agree. I mean it's crappy that you can't blow a kiss to your mom, but you signed the agreement. If there was an issue, you should have raised it then.
    Find Brian Shaffer!!
    www.findbrianshaffer.com

Janet Christiansen, Kaiden, and Family, justice WILL prevail!

JUSTICE FOR AMBER!

~*Cancel my subscription, I'm THROUGH with your issues*~

OMG I so totally disagree!!!! My daughter just graduated and I firmly believe these kids earned their day!! He wasn't doing anything obnoxious or over the top. He is a teenager, let him be one for a bit before he has to join the real world.

My parents sent me to a 'Christian' school for grades 10-12.
    I was denied a diploma because my sideburns were too long. I had them cut for the graduation but showed up and was told, no they're still too long and not allowed to participate. This was in the 1970's.
    Yes I finally got it, after some threatened intervention by an attorney.
    I don't feel the motivation in this story was religious, just that the guy in charge is a control freak.
    I hope his parents sue the hell out of the school district.
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

This is one of those times I have to disagree with this Graduation "punishment". We are not talking about rude disruption, blaring fog horns, or obnoxious "hand signs" here. This was the time of being happy, proud, being thankful to ffor friends/family, and this young man showed that. The principal was out of line big time. Sorry, I am all about respect and rules. My own went to private schools (yeah, me too) and there were rules requested of both family and friends. However, no Diploma was held hostage toward any Graduate for perceived bad manners. I also think this is all about the joy that someone is feeling at that time of achievement. This is not a big deal, fer crying out loud!

I think the principal was wearing their clothes a bit tight and needs to lighten up. You can have control of your students (or, ex students), but they also deserve the happiness that they have worked for. Celebrate with them. With a smile. After all, that is one less class you will have to deal with next year.
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

You know I got to thinking about this...

My eldest son just graduated HS 10 days ago. Now, if he and I had to sit down and sign a behavoir agreement, I would have done so with him of course.

Here is the difference between me and this Mother.

I would have reminded him on the way to the graduation "dont' you dare cut up"

I would take him to task for pulling something that got him in trouble and not receiving his diploma.

I wouldn't have gone to the media. But I sure would have gone to town on him until I felt I had impressed upon him how aggravated I was....LOL

I don't know I just don't see this as a tragedy of epic proportions. I see it as a learning lesson for this young man. Sign a contract, honor it.

A personal aside but it's my thoughts on how I would have handled it.

ETA: it would also be a story I would tell for years to come, much to his chagrin Kind of like the pink mayonaisse story!
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

wow, I think this is ridiculous!!!! After going to school for 13 years who cares if you blow your mother a kiss. I wonder what will happen when I do my traditonal, at the top of my lungs "wooohooooo" with my kids name. I agree kids should follow the rules, but it's the rules I think are completely way off base. What do they plan to send him his diploma? They look like complete idiots IMO. Things have gone too far....kids have so much stress these days compared to 30 years ago. JMO

The judgement used in this situation is ridiculous. Graduation is a time to spread your wings and stand up and be proud.
    I think an investigation should be done to find out how many kids were forbidden to attend the ceremony because of some ridiculous rule dreamed up by robots without emotions and feelings.

I love graduations. In 08 when our Kaelie graduated a young lady walked with her 2 or 3 year old son by her side. i didn't even know her, but I was proud of her.

Geez ...........you might think the kid whipped it out and urinated on the crowd

It was blowing a kiss for goodness sake! Not mooning, not flipping anyone the bird, not doing cartwheels on the way up there.

There was nothing inappropriate about his conduct IMO.

and I am 100% about honoring agreements and personal responsibility!

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Wow..........no soup for you!
    [/I]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast