1273 users online (221 members and 1052 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    CY was definitely stationed at both National Parks-- he was at the Colonial National Park during the Colonial Parkway Murders in 1986-1989 and the Shenandoah National Park in 1996 in time for the murder of Julie Williams and Lollie Winans. He was a person of interest in the Colonial Parkway Murders, and yet was somehow allowed to be an active investigator in what the FBI said was the "substantially similiar"murder of Williams and Winans, particularly to the murder of my sister Cathy Thomas and her girlfriend, Rebecca Dowski.

Not sure who you mean by WN. Would you like to send me a message with more detail?

Thanks.

Bill Thomas
    Brother of Cathy Thomas
    Colonial Parkway Murders

Thank you Bill. No need to message about it any further. I had wondered who the person of interest was and you confirmed. Sounds like some people are "untouchable".
    Choose Kindness

Quote Originally Posted by billthom56 View Post
    CY was definitely stationed at both National Parks-- he was at the Colonial National Park during the Colonial Parkway Murders in 1986-1989 and the Shenandoah National Park in 1996 in time for the murder of Julie Williams and Lollie Winans. He was a person of interest in the Colonial Parkway Murders, and yet was somehow allowed to be an active investigator in what the FBI said was the "substantially similiar"murder of Williams and Winans, particularly to the murder of my sister Cathy Thomas and her girlfriend, Rebecca Dowski.

Not sure who you mean by WN. Would you like to send me a message with more detail?

Thanks.

Bill Thomas
    Brother of Cathy Thomas
    Colonial Parkway Murders
    That's a super eerie coincidence. I've always wondered whether Gary Michael Hilton was ruled out as the killer of Williams and Winans but CY intrigues me.
    "There are such devils."
    -The Pledge

I'm new here so I'm sorry if I'm bringing up something that's already been discussed. Tried to look for it but didn't come across anything.

I would assume this occurred but thought I would ask. Does anyone know if the serial killer Alfredo Prieto was looked into in connection with any of these? He was convicted in Fairfax County and sentenced to death for murdering a couple. He also was accused of raping and murdering a woman in Arlington, which was never taken to trial since he got the death penalty in Fairfax, another murder in Prince William, and then other murders in California.

I'll be honest that there are some very stark differences in the crimes, but if you look at the dates of the murders there versus in Northern Virginia, the timeline is interesting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.0fed74beb6a6

Apologies for the slow response. I have never heard Alfredo Prieto's name before in connection with the Colonial Parkway Murders.

Reading the Washington Post timeline you linked, his MO is very, very different.

The Colonial Parkway Murders seem to linked by Williamsburg, Virginia area, couples, no rape, no robbery, wallets and purses out, limited sign of struggle, isolated locations, lover's lanes, cars moved after the murders, cars seem staged, 3 of 4 double homicides in the fall, 2 of 4 committed on long weekends. Knives were used in 2 cases, gun in one case, bodies missing in one.

Thanks.

Bill Thomas,
    Brother of Cathy Thomas,
    Colonial Parkway Murders
    Last edited by billthom56; 09-09-2017 at 02:55 PM.

New story on the unsolved Colonial Parkway Murders by Catherine Townsend on Investigation Discovery's CrimeFeed.

Bill Thomas,
    Brother of Cathy Thomas,
    Colonial Parkway Murders

http://crimefeed.com/2017/09/colonial-parkway-murders/

I just read this entire thread and the link in post #141. I can't help but wonder if DNA was obtained from the hair found in Cathy's hand. Even with the mistakes mentioned in the article linked in post #141 it would seem DNA from that hair would be huge as clearly non one would mistakenly leave their hair in the victims hand. If that hair still exists.... It would be interesting to know if that hair still exists or possibly went missing when the crime scene photos were leaked.

Bill, I am sorry for the loss of your sister and admire your tenacity in seeing the case solved. Praying this is the year for answers.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Cubby:

Thanks for reading this entire thread. That is impressive.

Still no word on test results from the hair found in my sister Cathy's hand. My guess is that FBI Quantico got no results on the the hair (which is almost 31 years old), and they haven't bothered to tell us yet. (Personally, I always like to know what is going on, even if the news is disappointing.)

After numerous requests from my family starting more that 1.5 years ago, FBI Norfolk/Newport News finally requested that the FBI Quantico lab test all of the other hair and fiber evidence found in Cathy's car. This a very large box of properly stored hair samples from 1986. It was sent to Quantico months ago, and they keep informing me that testing is in the works.

Why the delay? Well, most people don't know that the FBI has largely been redeployed as an anti-terrorism agency since 9/11. Violent crime is now the lowest priority at the FBI, and cold cases like the Colonial Parkway Murders are the lowest priority of all. That is why we are always told that we have to wait in the back of the line for forensic testing, even if the Colonial Parkway Murders families have been waiting in line, separately and together, since 1986-89.

Regarding other evidence, we have requested that the FBI approve using a new DNA extraction method developed by a company called M-Vac. This is a wet vacuum system that can pick up 5 to 100 times more DNA than conventional methods of swabbing, taping and cutting crime scene evidence samples. The M-Vac system is in use at numerous crime labs around the country, and has already broken a number of cold cases with new DNA from 18-40 year old samples. M-Vac is not in use at the FBI lab yet, so they will need to approve a certified outside lab to conduct the tests. In my educated opinion, the FBI lab should already be using M-Vac systems, even in a pilot program.

Amazing that FBI Quantico would let other crime labs get ahead of them in using cutting edge technology, especially since one M-Vac system and enough supplies to test 30 crime scene samples only costs $28,000. I attended a presentation of the M-Vac system at the Loyola Law School here in Los Angeles a few days ago, and was really impressed with their CEO Jared Bradley, the M-Vac itself (it looks a little like a robot from Star Wars), and the results they are getting DNA from hard-to-retrieve samples and solving cold cases like ours.

Here is an example of what M-Vac can do:

Thanks again,

Bill Thomas
    Brother of Cathy Thomas
    Colonial Parkway Murders

Quote Originally Posted by billthom56 View Post
    Cubby:

Thanks for reading this entire thread. That is impressive.

Still no word on test results from the hair found in my sister Cathy's hand. My guess is that FBI Quantico got no results on the the hair (which is almost 31 years old), and they haven't bothered to tell us yet. (Personally, I always like to know what is going on, even if the news is disappointing.)

After numerous requests from my family starting more that 1.5 years ago, FBI Norfolk/Newport News finally requested that the FBI Quantico lab test all of the other hair and fiber evidence found in Cathy's car. This a very large box of properly stored hair samples from 1986. It was sent to Quantico months ago, and they keep informing me that testing is in the works.

Why the delay? Well, most people don't know that the FBI has largely been redeployed as an anti-terrorism agency since 9/11. Violent crime is now the lowest priority at the FBI, and cold cases like the Colonial Parkway Murders are the lowest priority of all. That is why we are always told that we have to wait in the back of the line for forensic testing, even if the Colonial Parkway Murders families have been waiting in line, separately and together, since 1986-89.

Regarding other evidence, we have requested that the FBI approve using a new DNA extraction method developed by a company called M-Vac. This is a wet vacuum system that can pick up 5 to 100 times more DNA than conventional methods of swabbing, taping and cutting crime scene evidence samples. The M-Vac system is in use at numerous crime labs around the country, and has already broken a number of cold cases with new DNA from 18-40 year old samples. M-Vac is not in use at the FBI lab yet, so they will need to approve a certified outside lab to conduct the tests. In my educated opinion, the FBI lab should already be using M-Vac systems, even in a pilot program.

Amazing that FBI Quantico would let other crime labs get ahead of them in using cutting edge technology, especially since one M-Vac system and enough supplies to test 30 crime scene samples only costs $28,000. I attended a presentation of the M-Vac system at the Loyola Law School here in Los Angeles a few days ago, and was really impressed with their CEO Jared Bradley, the M-Vac itself (it looks a little like a robot from Star Wars), and the results they are getting DNA from hard-to-retrieve samples and solving cold cases like ours.

Here is an example of what M-Vac can do:

Thanks again,

Bill Thomas
    Brother of Cathy Thomas
    Colonial Parkway Murders
    Justice shouldn't have to be privatized in order to get results. I'm with you, Bill, this is absolutely appalling.
    "There are such devils."
    -The Pledge

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10