Food safety alert - nestle cookie dough

ibyoungr

Reaction score
My husband works in Food Safety and received this alert this morning. Because it is summer, lots of kids home and numerous bake sales.. I felt it nessesary to post the complete alert here to warn as many families as possible.

FDA NEWS RELEASE
For Immediate Release: June 19, 2009
Media Inquiries: Michael Herndon, 301-796-4673, michael.herndon@fda.hhs.gov
Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA
FDA Warns Consumers Not to Eat Nestle Toll House Prepackaged, Refrigerated Cookie Dough
Nestle Voluntarily Recalls all Varieties of Prepackaged, Refrigerated Toll House Cookie Dough
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are warning consumers not to eat any varieties of prepackaged Nestle Toll House refrigerated cookie dough due to the risk of contamination with E. coli O157:H7 (a bacterium that causes food borne illness).
The FDA advises that if consumers have any prepackaged, refrigerated Nestle Toll House cookie dough products in their home that they throw them away. Cooking the dough is not recommended because consumers might get the bacteria on their hands and on other cooking surfaces.
Retailers, restaurateurs, and personnel at other food-service operations should not sell or serve any Nestle Toll House prepackaged, refrigerated cookie dough products subject to the recall.
Nestle USA, which manufactures and markets the Toll House cookie dough, is fully cooperating with the ongoing investigation by the FDA and CDC. The warning is based on an ongoing epidemiological study conducted by the CDC and several state and local health departments. Since March 2009 there have been 66 reports of illness across 28 states. Twenty-five persons were hospitalized; 7 with a severe complication called Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS). No one has died.
E. coli O157:H7 causes abdominal cramping, vomiting and a diarrheal illness, often with bloody stools. Most healthy adults can recover completely within a week. Young children and the elderly are at highest risk for developing HUS, which can lead to serious kidney damage and even death.Individuals who have recently eaten prepackaged, refrigerated Toll House cookie dough and have experienced any of these symptoms should contact their doctor or health care provider immediately. Any such illnesses should be reported to state or local health authorities.The FDA reminds consumers they should not eat raw food products that are intended for cooking or baking before consumption. Consumers should use safe food-handling practices when preparing such products, including following package directions for cooking at proper temperatures; washing hands, surfaces, and utensils after contact with these types of products; avoiding cross contamination; and refrigerating products properly.
For more information on safe food handling practices, go to http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm109899.htm.
Consumers who have additional questions about these products should contact Nestle consumer services at 800-559-5025 and/or visit their Web site at www.verybestbaking.com.
For a complete listing of the recalled products go to: http://www.nestleusa.com/PubNews/Pr....aspx?id=133CC131-A79F-4E84-9C43-C9F99FE5BC99.

How the heck does E. Coli get into cookie dough? I could see Salmonella, but E. Coli?

People need to WASH their hands after taking a poo. My husband says the number one cause of food borne illness is FROM NOT WASHING HANDS.

He does a food safety class and by the time he is done.. everyone is grossed out to the point that they have no choice but to want to wash their hands.

Centralized food production. It's a bad thing.

No kidding, Kat. I've also never understood why people would buy premade cookie dough. Half the fun of baking treats is making the batter from scratch!!

America, quit making cakes out of a box and cookies out of a roll. Do it yourself. It tastes better. AND there's less of a chance of eating someone's poo residue. ;)

I totally agree. I was raised on a farm and we drank unpasteurized milk and real farm eggs. We NEVER got sick. Making cookies and cakes from a box was nearly a sin. For many years after getting off the farm I would only make things by scratch! Thought I was a "bad wife" if I didn't. LOL...
However, now I am a city career woman and older mom.. and must admit I have slipped to using the pre-made dough. Well not anymore! When poo residue starts showing up in my cookies...well it is time for going back to scratch!

I totally agree. I was raised on a farm and we drank unpasteurized milk and real farm eggs. We NEVER got sick. Making cookies and cakes from a box was nearly a sin. For many years after getting off the farm I would only make things by scratch! Thought I was a "bad wife" if I didn't. LOL...
However, now I am a city career woman and older mom.. and must admit I have slipped to using the pre-made dough. Well not anymore! When poo residue starts showing up in my cookies...well it is time for going back to scratch!

I am ashamed to say I have never made anything from scratch and I wouldn't even know where to start. Between going to school, tending to the pets, spending time with my kids, cleaning house, washing clothes, doing dishes, etc...where would I even find time? The few minutes I get to myself are spent on the computer, and without that I would go nuts.

Centralized food production does include processed foods like cookie dough but when we have centers of food production like that we don't know if the contamination came from the center the dough was put together at, or one of the many ingredients that were used was contaminated.

Take for example the Cilantro that made everyone so ill. It was grown em masse and then sent to many different plants to be processed into foods. Thereby potentially contaminating every plant of production that used it.

Then the dog food contamination that happened not long ago. Again, centralized food production for dog food. The concept is the same for human food and animal food when it is produced in this way.

We've yet to have a contamination of epidemic proportions where many humans lose their life to contaminated food products that were produced by centralized food plants.

I do think it will eventually happen, it's only a matter of time. If anyone is interested in this read the book "Fast Food Nation" the author outlines a great many scenarios that are plausible and probable. (You might have to overlook some of his personal political chit-chat he throws in here and there, I find it annoying to read a non-fiction book in which an author uses it to assert a personal political agenda, but this book is well written and informative other than that JMHO)

I bought some of the cookies in mention 2 weeks ago. They where BOGO at the grocery. I guess they where okay because DH made both packages in the middle of the night and him and my stepson ate ALL of them and they're still alive ROFLMAO. I was suprised that they didnt even have a stomach ache after eating all of those cookies, maybe the ecoli made them pass quickly lord knows.

For once, I am just glad they didnt decide to be considerate and save Pooky and I some.

I am ashamed to say I have never made anything from scratch and I wouldn't even know where to start. Between going to school, tending to the pets, spending time with my kids, cleaning house, washing clothes, doing dishes, etc...where would I even find time? The few minutes I get to myself are spent on the computer, and without that I would go nuts.

Yeah, I rarely make anything from scratch. I'm a horrible cook and don't find it interesting.
My son LOVES to cook. He wanted to make a pizza from scratch the other day and I didn't even know where to find flour and yeast for the dough in the grocery store. Anyway, it was really delicious!!

I always say I'm going to make an effort to bake/cook from scratch, but it never happens.

Holy yuck! I used to eat that stuff from the tube! Found this old thread looking for today's Nestle-owns-my-water thread...LOL.

I also was raised in a homegrown, canning & sewing northwest Pennsylvania peeps way. I was more than ready for the safe and yummy processed food conveniences when raising my own family; but more & more I'm getting a little nervous & am edging back the other direction.

FYI E. coli can come from the eggs, chocolate, milk, unsanitized equipment, flour, etc. Really can be brought in from anything.

Produce like cilantro and green onions- anything grown in a field can get salmonella or E.coli because they are grown in the dirt with manure or bird poop can fall on them, etc.

fyi from some earlier question.

FYI E. coli can come from the eggs, chocolate, milk, unsanitized equipment, flour, etc. Really can be brought in from anything.

Produce like cilantro and green onions- anything grown in a field can get salmonella or E.coli because they are grown in the dirt with manure or bird poop can fall on them, etc.

fyi from some earlier question.

Oh my, yes absolutely! Couple of elections back, a local senatorial candidate mysteriously dropped out of the race & out of sight. Turns out, he'd been in hospital for weeks recovering slowly from leafy spinach based EColi poisoning....JJ

because we've continued to eat raw cookie dough since 2009. Nothing better! We eat so much, that not that many cookies actually get baked!!!

because we've continued to eat raw cookie dough since 2009. Nothing better! We eat so much, that not that many cookies actually get baked!!!

Phew.......:scared: glad this is an old thread...kid lets are baking tomorrow and they love the raw dough. :seeya:

No kidding, Kat. I've also never understood why people would buy premade cookie dough. Half the fun of baking treats is making the batter from scratch!!

America, quit making cakes out of a box and cookies out of a roll. Do it yourself. It tastes better. AND there's less of a chance of eating someone's poo residue. ;)

I totally agree, and as I learn more and more about processed foods, preservatives, added sugars, sodium, etc, I become more and more wary of pre-packaged and convenience foods -- heck, wasn't it just a week or so ago that frozen fruit led to a Hepatitis outbreak due to pomegranate seeds or something?

Having said ALLLLL of that, lol... I have three children in school and TOO often to count I find out at bedtime that I've been "volunteered" to send dozens of cupcakes/cookies/muffins, etc to school TOMORROW! So... if I don't already have all said ingredients in the house, I make a choice between 1) running to the store on the way to school tomorrow for store-bought, or 2) loading up kids in PJs and going to the store TONIGHT and at that point... I'm getting a box. And frosting in a can.... and if I'm really tired? Slice and bake with the cute little pictures on them.

Phew.......:scared: glad this is an old thread...kid lets are baking tomorrow and they love the raw dough. :seeya:

It's an old thread... but not an old threat -- I definitely enjoy raw cookie dough, but I have to say I'm a hypocrite. I'm terrified now to let my kids have a bite but I'm sneaking it when they aren't looking!!

It's an old thread... but not an old threat -- I definitely enjoy raw cookie dough, but I have to say I'm a hypocrite. I'm terrified now to let my kids have a bite but I'm sneaking it when they aren't looking!!

:drumroll: I understand. Lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back