Website
www.facebook.com
williams_jamel.jpg
williams_jamel_ap.jpg

Missing Since: May 25, 1994 from Toledo, Ohio
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: August 3, 1990
Height and Weight: 3'0, 30 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Biracial (Caucasian/African-American) male. Dark blond hair, blue eyes.

Details of Disappearance

Williams's mother says she last saw him on May 25, 1994 in Toledo, Ohio, at approximately 11:00 a.m. He was on the rear steps of his mother's apartment at the time. When his mother returned five minutes later, he had disappeared. Williams has not been heard from again.

Authorities say Williams's family has not cooperated with them and has hindered the investigation into the child's disappearance. Williams's parents stated they were upset at being treated as suspects in his case. Police say there is no evidence that Williams ever lived in his mother's apartment; she moved in a month prior to his disappearance and no one at the apartment building besides her reported having ever seen him.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Toledo Police Department

419-245-3129

Fifteen years after he was last seen alive, Jamel Williams is a number.

He is one of about 130 names on the Toledo Police Department's missing persons register and among the dozen or so of those who are now presumed dead.

Though Jamel is one of tens of thousands of missing children nationwide, officials hope on the anniversary of his disappearance to take away his number and give him a face.

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children recently re-released an age-progression photo of Jamel, who was reported missing 15 years ago today when he was 3. Accompanying the photographs of a blond, blue-eyed boy both as a toddler and as a teenager is a plea for information.

"What we're hoping to do is, not that people will say, 'Oh I know Jamel and he is living at this address,' but we're trying to put a face out there that this child is still missing even though he is believed to be deceased," said Jerry Nance, forensic services supervisor for the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. "There are two ways to solve a cold case: changes in relationships and changes in forensics, and this is a case where a change in relationship with someone who knows something will hopefully prompt them to step forward and talk to the police."

Jamel's mother, Kelly Williams Thomas, could not be reached for comment. Nearly a decade ago, she openly criticized police for treating her and her husband, Gary Thomas, as suspects. Since then, the couple stopped cooperating with detectives, police said.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090525/NEWS02/905250324/0/NEWS02

Jamel's mother, Kelly Williams Thomas, could not be reached for comment. Nearly a decade ago, she openly criticized police for treating her and her husband, Gary Thomas, as suspects. Since then, the couple stopped cooperating with detectives, police said.

It would be nice if police could sit Kelly Williams Thomas down now and question her again. Perhaps she'd be more willing to speak out now.

There's very good reason to believe that Gary has been abusing Kelly for years. I strongly suspect that Gary hurt Jamel, and Kelly helped cover it up because she was afraid of Gary.

This story is actually about my cousin. I was at his house a few days after he was taken and the day the news was there. I am the only family that has been trying to find him. I have been working with the investigators for some time now. I know he is out there, and my heart is torn until the day he is found :(. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in this situation. I love you Jamel, I will find you one day!!!

I would like to add that Gary was not abusive to Kelly and especially not Jamel, I remember him and he was a very nice man. He loved Jamel more than anything, he was also heartbroken.

This story is actually about my cousin. I was at his house a few days after he was taken and the day the news was there. I am the only family that has been trying to find him. I have been working with the investigators for some time now. I know he is out there, and my heart is torn until the day he is found :(. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in this situation. I love you Jamel, I will find you one day!!!

:Welcome:

I'm not familiar with Jamel's case so I'm going to read up on it. In so sorry you're alone in your search for your cousin, hopefully some insight from the amazing sleuthers here can help spread the word!!

:Welcome:

I'm not familiar with Jamel's case so I'm going to read up on it. In so sorry you're alone in your search for your cousin, hopefully some insight from the amazing sleuthers here can help spread the word!!

Thank you for the time your going to take to look at his case and story!! I do hope that people here can spread the word and help me with the search. Just because it has been 15 years or so doesn't mean he isn't out there. Just like those girls from Cleveland Ohio, found after 10 years, God works is awesome ways. I just know in my heart that Jamel has to be out there somewhere. I have given investigators from the missing and exploited children center my DNA sample hoping that would help. Let me know if you find anything. :)

Tot’s case focuses on other lost children

An ongoing search for an 18-month-old East Toledo girl is similar to that of toddler Jamel Williams, who disappeared from outside his mother’s apartment on May 25, 1994.

Although the 3-year-old Jamel, also from East Toledo, was older than Elaina Steinfurth, who has been missing since June 2, his parents also were in the midst of a divorce when he vanished.

The last people to see both children were family members.

Vacant homes, wooded areas, and trash bins have been examined in both cases. In the search for Elaina, the FBI on Tuesday completed their second day of diving in the Maumee River while seeking clues into the little girl’s disappearance.

Two days into the search for Jamel, FBI agents joined Toledo police and combed through the Weiler Homes public housing complex where the Williams family lived.

[snip]

It has been 19 years since Jamel went missing. His fate remains a mystery.

[snip]

In the case of Jamel Williams, Sergeant Heffernan said police have received no new tips. When police last made contact with the now-divorced Ms. Thomas shortly after the center released Jamel’s age-progression photo, Ms. Thomas did not want to cooperate, refusing to give police her DNA sample.

More: http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-F...47279070195_472063_177714582396798#f27abbb818

NCMC790938c1.jpg
NCMC790938e1.jpg

The picture on the right is a composite image of what Jamel may look like at 21 years old. Jamel was last seen walking out of the back door of his residence. He has not been seen or heard from since. Jamel is Biracial. He is Black and White.

http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/790938/1/screen

The NCMEC FB page featured Jamel's story today.

Tot’s case focuses on other lost children

An ongoing search for an 18-month-old East Toledo girl is similar to that of toddler Jamel Williams, who disappeared from outside his mother’s apartment on May 25, 1994.

Although the 3-year-old Jamel, also from East Toledo, was older than Elaina Steinfurth, who has been missing since June 2, his parents also were in the midst of a divorce when he vanished.

The last people to see both children were family members.

Vacant homes, wooded areas, and trash bins have been examined in both cases. In the search for Elaina, the FBI on Tuesday completed their second day of diving in the Maumee River while seeking clues into the little girl’s disappearance.

Two days into the search for Jamel, FBI agents joined Toledo police and combed through the Weiler Homes public housing complex where the Williams family lived.

[snip]

It has been 19 years since Jamel went missing. His fate remains a mystery.

[snip]

In the case of Jamel Williams, Sergeant Heffernan said police have received no new tips. When police last made contact with the now-divorced Ms. Thomas shortly after the center released Jamel’s age-progression photo, Ms. Thomas did not want to cooperate, refusing to give police her DNA sample.

More: http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-F...47279070195_472063_177714582396798#f27abbb818
I don't know anything about the Steinfurth case, but I believe Jamel died while in his mother's care. I have no idea whether it was a deliberate murder or an accidental death, but I don't think many people are gullible enough to believe her story.

I don't know anything about the Steinfurth case, but I believe Jamel died while in his mother's care. I have no idea whether it was a deliberate murder or an accidental death, but I don't think many people are gullible enough to believe her story.

I don't get the impression that Jamel is alive either. What mother doesn't cooperate with police to try and find her missing three year old? I agree, her story doesn't make sense. I can't think of too many mothers who would let their 3 year old sit on the outside steps unattended for even 10 seconds.

These news articles are stating that it looked as if no child had lived in the apartment even though Kelly had been there about a month. Also, interviewed neighbors have stated that they had also never remembered seeing a child there so this leaves Kelly as being the only person to have seen her son the entire month of being a resident.

Within the next couple of weeks I will be gathering equipment and hopefully getting a crew together to go out and search while it is still warm outside.

News articles nor police have received enough information to point in a general direction but I am hoping to find the previous address and search that area before I start my search elsewhere. Hopefully we can put an end to some of the missing cases in this city!

I don't get the impression that Jamel is alive either. What mother doesn't cooperate with police to try and find her missing three year old? I agree, her story doesn't make sense. I can't think of too many mothers who would let their 3 year old sit on the outside steps unattended for even 10 seconds.

I agree with you. If someone were to point a finger at me I would want to work even harder to prove that it wasn't me and they need to figure out what happened to my child. When she denyed the DNA sample that pretty much sealed the deal for me. It's a shame, even if something happened by accident, that this has been going on for so long.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lee k
Back