Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Travis Alexander and Jodi Arias - What do you believe?

Was I hearing things or did she say, "I'm not comfortable in front of the camera and I'd rather be the one taking pictures" (or something along those lines?)

I want to say this appeared near the beginning of the show?

Anyway, that was another statement she made (or similar) that caused me to question her, in my mind. She seemed perfectly at ease being filmed (for the 48 Hours show) and apparently she didn't seem too camera smart because she could have simply taken the camera or removed the memory card. She had time to grab her purse, why not the camera or memory card?

I'm just thinking about how she escaped the 2 murderers (one's a female and the other a male) and according to her, Travis was not able to get out of there... how does that happen?

The camera being mussed up in the bed sheets is one good reason, but how did anyone have time to erase the memory card? If my memory serves correctly, LE was able to "retrieve" the images from a memory card and it led me to believe they were once erased? (Please let me know if I heard it all wrong.)

Also, the portion of the interview when she said she would rather get the death penalty vs life in prison, struck me as odd. Most people seem to proclaim their innocense?

IIRC, she only devoted herself to Travis' religion when they were together? I'm not sure she was a religious gal beforehand? I also noticed that her family, her friends, etc... didn't seem to appear on the show in her defense? Did I miss that? (It's not impossible that I would have missed parts... I may have been dozing off?)

I keep tossing it around in my head, and I still feel like she is very guilty.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Boyz_Mum For This Useful Post:

She's Guilty, Guilty, Guilty

:

In The Forest With The Top Down

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to christee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    Your link does not work for me.
    It doesn't work for me either, when I click on it from here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nobodyzgirl For This Useful Post:

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Good point about the camera being tangled in the bedding, she was after all a semi-professional photographer or had aspirations to be. Washing a camera and leaving it just did not fit. But rushing to leave a crime scene and overlooking or not being able to find it does make sense. How creepy was it that she took photos after the attack, did she intend to print them and relive the murder?

I agree with all gaia227 said in regards to sociopathy, however in reading some of the news articles, comments and blogs I am getting a sense that Travis had a few different sides to his personality as well. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to justify what I believe she did to him.

Definitely. I think so to and I think maybe that is why Jodi felt comfortable being more herself around him because she knew he had some 'dark' sides to him as well.

Did you look at his myspace page? He seemed pretty full of himself.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gaia227 For This Useful Post:

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyz_Mum View Post
    Was I hearing things or did she say, "I'm not comfortable in front of the camera and I'd rather be the one taking pictures" (or something along those lines?)

I want to say this appeared near the beginning of the show?

Anyway, that was another statement she made (or similar) that caused me to question her, in my mind. She seemed perfectly at ease being filmed (for the 48 Hours show) and apparently she didn't seem too camera smart because she could have simply taken the camera or removed the memory card. She had time to grab her purse, why not the camera or memory card?

I'm just thinking about how she escaped the 2 murderers (one's a female and the other a male) and according to her, Travis was not able to get out of there... how does that happen?

The camera being mussed up in the bed sheets is one good reason, but how did anyone have time to erase the memory card? If my memory serves correctly, LE was able to "retrieve" the images from a memory card and it led me to believe they were once erased? (Please let me know if I heard it all wrong.)

I keep tossing it around in my head, and I still feel like she is very guilty.

Snipped.

In answer to you question I think the easiest answer is because she is lying. There was no one else there, she had time to erase the pics off the memory card, she had time to turn the shower on and run it over Travis's body, she had time to throw the bedding into the wash. She was stupid to not take the memory card with her. As to why she put the camera in the washer - who knows? I think the theory it was on the bed and got thrown in with the bedding and in her frenzied state just didn't notice she left the camera behind. You weren't hearing things - the memory card was still in the camera with it erased but LE was able to retrieve the images anyway. Obviously the most damning picture being of Travis dying. There is really no way for her to explain how that picture was taken. The 2 killers went and got the camera and did it? I don't think so.

Correct me if I am mistaken but I think the camera was Travis's.
    Last edited by gaia227; 06-26-2009 at 12:58 PM.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gaia227 For This Useful Post:

You are correct, it was Travis' camera that was used.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nobodyzgirl For This Useful Post:

I've seen this story on 48 hours many times . . . Travis was lying to his friends . . . he was still seeing her . . . but I do believe that Jodi did kill him probably out of jealousy.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by swa View Post
    I've seen this story on 48 hours many times . . . Travis was lying to his friends . . . he was still seeing her . . . but I do believe that Jodi did kill him probably out of jealousy.
    Jealousy was the only motive I could think of. It kind of sounded like their situation had turned into a "friends with benefits" kind of thing. I wonder if Travis told her that he'd met someone new or if he tried to sever the relationship completely?

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Boyz_Mum For This Useful Post:

Jealousy was the only motive I could think of. It kind of sounded like their situation had turned into a "friends with benefits" kind of thing. I wonder if Travis told her that he'd met someone new or if he tried to sever the relationship completely?

He had met someone new. He was planning on taking a vacation to Cancun with a another woman. Jodi claims she knew about the other girl and it didn't bother her that Travis invited her and not Jodi......mmm-hmmm, sure.
    --Ghandi

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gaia227 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gaia227 View Post
    He had met someone new. He was planning on taking a vacation to Cancun with a another woman. Jodi claims she knew about the other girl and it didn't bother her that Travis invited her and not Jodi......mmm-hmmm, sure.
    I kind of remember that now that you mention it. I was watching the show and was kind of drowsy. Thanks! I can't really explain it well, but Jodi's demeanor gave me the creeps. She didn't seem like the type of female who would be "okay" with Travis stepping out with another woman. (She seemed very obsessed, IMO.)

Was there anyone on the show from Jodi's family? I don't remember anyone really speaking in support of her? I don't remember if the show touched base on her family at all?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boyz_Mum For This Useful Post:

No one on Jodi's side of the family was interviewed. Several of Travis's friends and family spoke on behalf of him but no one for Jodi. Makes you wonder doesn't it? Where are her parents? Maybe they are too embarrassed.

According to Travis's friends and family they believed Jodi was stalking him and had slashed his tires twice. Travis was very relieved when the relationship ended and he felt like he could just move on and get away from her but that is not how it went. She would also show up at his house and just come in without knocking or announcing herself. I think he provoked her too though. He would answer her calls, he didn't seem to have a problem with letting her come over so they could sleep together. Bad judgement on his part- you should not encourage someone who is exhibiting the behaviors she was and unfortunately he paid for that mistake with his life. I think Travis was very attracted to her, he liked the fact she was adventurous enough to make videos with him and that is why he kept letting her back in his life.

I think Jodi knew that and she used it to feel like she had some measure of control over him. When he started seeing this other girl and was going to go away with her and things seem to be getting more serious Jodi was losing what little control she had over Travis and that caused her to lose it. IMO, of course
    --Ghandi

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to gaia227 For This Useful Post:

I thought it was strange too that her family has not been interviewed/shown. Her case was big enough to hit 48 hours, you would think at least one reporter would try to get a statement from her family. Have they been to visit her in jail I wonder?

Her myspace is still out there for public view unlike so many others who immediately make them private when they are brought into the spotlight. It's pretty sanitary and self-serving, she carefully created an image on that site. If you look at the comments in the photos, you'll see some from Travis that were within a couple months of the murder. Look at his comments, subtle with a sexual undertone.

It says she has two sisters and at least one brother, perhaps not from the same M/F. I would be curious to hear if they are supporting her. Personally I don't think she stands a chance in court, what reasonable doubt could be created? Anyone want to tackle that one?
    http://www.myspace.com/jodiarias
    Last edited by Knox; 06-26-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Bring forward the link

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

Killers generally give us good reason to think of them as emotionally or physically dissheveled.

However twisted, Jodi's quiet, demure, even pious demeanor isn't just a front. Although she's obviously trying (very tardily and ineffectually) to save herself, she really doesn't feel any guilt. (If her intruders story were true, of course, she would be exuding it.) She is ever so weirdly at peace because she thinks that she and Travis are inextricably linked; she does love him and her execution of him, in her view, simply solidified their destiny. I think that feeling as I think she did, it would be quite natural to make pictures of her lover as his life dwindled away.

26. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Chanler For This Useful Post:

I think her myspace page is weird. It looks like for her interests she copied that list from somewhere else. It is all alphabetical. Alchemy is an interest of hers? Dead Sea Scrolls, Jamba Juice, Quantam Physics, Agency? Anyone else think its weird?

I don't think Jodi knows who she is. She just emulates what she sees in others. If she were around someone who was religious she is too. If she was around someone who was an Atheist then she probably would be too. She molds herself into other people's lives and tries to take on their interests and as a result she has never really developed any of her own. Except photography.......
    --Ghandi

28. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to gaia227 For This Useful Post:

I think her myspace page is weird. It looks like for her interests she copied that list from somewhere else. It is all alphabetical. Alchemy is an interest of hers? Dead Sea Scrolls, Jamba Juice, Quantam Physics, Agency? Anyone else think its weird?

I don't think Jodi knows who she is. She just emulates what she sees in others. If she were around someone who was religious she is too. If she was around someone who was an Atheist then she probably would be too. She molds herself into other people's lives and tries to take on their interests and as a result she has never really developed any of her own. Except photography.......
    *bbm* A true sociopath.

30. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Recovering-Lurker For This Useful Post:

Hi, Gaia. It's weird, especially to New Yorkers like you and me, but this kind of New Age eclecticism is not that unusual. There are, believe it or not, fairly popular books that link alchemy and cutting-edge physics and the Dead Sea Scrolls are now probably more discussed by spiritual New Age people than by scholars. To me, Jodi is a person of average intelligence whose world view fits snugly with that of a sizeable community where crop circles and celestial signs are generally accepted.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chanler For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chanler View Post
    Killers generally give us good reason to think of them as emotionally or physically dissheveled.

However twisted, Jodi's quiet, demure, even pious demeanor isn't just a front. Although she's obviously trying (very tardily and ineffectually) to save herself, she really doesn't feel any guilt. (If her intruders story were true, of course, she would be exuding it.) She is ever so weirdly at peace because she thinks that she and Travis are inextricably linked; she does love him and her execution of him, in her view, simply solidified their destiny. I think that feeling as I think she did, it would be quite natural to make pictures of her lover as his life dwindled away.
    BBM ... Could you expound on why you feel this would be "natural"?

The Morman religion has been mentioned in this case. In stating you think she and Travis were "inextricably linked" are you referring to a tennant of the Morman faith? Although I believe that would mean they would have to be married in the temple, she may have twisted that around in her mind to suit her needs. Good points you made in your post, thanks Chanler.

I think Gaia227 has a good point, she had no self definition.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

I know. DUH! Why would leave the camera at the scene? I think about what I would do if I were in her situation and maybe I am just ultra careful but one thing I certainly would not do is leave a freaking camera with the memory card still in it. Maybe because I watch crime shows, etc I am more knowledgable about what resources LE has to retain that kind of info. She certainly did not cover her tracks very well.
    And fortunately she didn't cover her tracks very well because these mistakes sure helped LE arrest her. Filming his death too ~ what on earth was she thinking. MOO
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panthera For This Useful Post:

Creeps me out that she has a photo album dedicated to Travis.

I'm sure she did it to make her seem more innocent and as if she was suffering, but it kind of backfired... at least to me.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kittenish For This Useful Post:

When she mentioned that she would rather get the death penalty, do any of you think that it would be because she don't feel that she can exsist in prison or if she believes that she and Travis will be together if she *dies*?

(I don't know the Mormon faith, so I am not sure what they teach happens upon one's passing?)

I can't think of one thing that gives me "reasonable doubt" in this case. Can anyone else think of anything that creates doubt?

Kind of sad that she didn't have anyone in her family available to speak about her. There is usually one person, one friend, someone, who will step forward and try to support a person in this situation. Seems like Jodi's kind of alone in this.

I don't think that Jodi seemed sad when she discussed the murder of Travis. She was kind of "matter of fact" in her description of what happened. Did anyone else think that?

40. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Boyz_Mum For This Useful Post:

BBM ... Could you expound on why you feel this would be "natural"?

The Morman religion has been mentioned in this case. In stating you think she and Travis were "inextricably linked" are you referring to a tennant of the Morman faith? Although I believe that would mean they would have to be married in the temple, she may have twisted that around in her mind to suit her needs. Good points you made in your post, thanks Chanler.

I think Gaia227 has a good point, she had no self definition.
    Hi, Knox, thanks for your laser-sharp note and your kind words. I think that Jodi Arias came late to Mormonism and she was converted through the suggestion of the lover she killed, so I think that it was always probably connected in her mind with him and their relationship.

Like many religious people influenced by new age thought, she intertwined its belief system with those of others. As you note, the Mormon concept of celestial marriage involves a formal temple event, certainly not a bloody homicide, but I think that it's quite possible that, as you put it so well, "she may have twisted that around in her mind to suit her needs." (Such extreme twisting is not unique in Mormon history. Since the mid-19th century, small clusters of extreme LDS fundamentalists have advocated blood atonement, whereby some achieve eternal life by having their blood shed.)

Jodi Arias's blogger entries feature a few statements that seem ominous in retrospect. These statements and her reading list suggest to me that she was susceptible to New Age and self-help messages of destiny, a message that Travis' own deeply touching personal story probably reinforced. (Her blog also shows, I think, how entirely focused Jodi is on personal consciousness, not personal interaction. She's a bit more intelligent than I thought, but even more self-absorbed. Essentially, she views herself as a little moral teacher, the perfect mate of Travis, who everyone agrees was charismatic.):

http://jodiarias.blogspot.com/2008_05_01_archive.html

"Yet somehow, I don't believe that all of the wandering in the world will lead me to its attainment. Somehow, I know it's right here inside of me. This yearning I have is perhaps the yearning for it to explode into expression. To be fully expressed would be would mean ultimate gratification."

"The Law of Attraction (here we go again...)

About 6 months ago I stopped believing in the Law of Attraction, or at least the accuracy therein. And do you know what I found out? I found out that even when you don’t believe in it, it still continues to work with perfect precision! So while I now go about my day in a manner far removed from my previous Mode of Operation, that darn Law of Attraction keeps right on making itself evident in every area of my life. The Law of Attraction is real whether or not we give an ounce of credence to it. It is inherent. It is infallible. It is unavoidable."

42. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chanler For This Useful Post:

When she mentioned that she would rather get the death penalty, do any of you think that it would be because she don't feel that she can exsist in prison or if she believes that she and Travis will be together if she *dies*?

(I don't know the Mormon faith, so I am not sure what they teach happens upon one's passing?)

I can't think of one thing that gives me "reasonable doubt" in this case. Can anyone else think of anything that creates doubt?

Kind of sad that she didn't have anyone in her family available to speak about her. There is usually one person, one friend, someone, who will step forward and try to support a person in this situation. Seems like Jodi's kind of alone in this.

I don't think that Jodi seemed sad when she discussed the murder of Travis. She was kind of "matter of fact" in her description of what happened. Did anyone else think that?
    Hi, Boyz Mom. I too was struck by her statement about preferring the death penalty, which seems odd by some one who doesn't exactly look desperate now.

Mormons do believe in hell, though they don't emphasize as intensely as many other evangelical religions. My guess is that Jodi thinks that as a sincere believer who is at peace with herself, she doesn't feel any anxiety in that direction.

The family's silence can't be ignored, can it. I suspect that despite Jodi's claim that her family life has been idyllic, her family knows that she was obsessed with Travis and that she has deep unacknowledged emotional problems.

I think that her only very, very, very chance of any reprieve would be the insanity plea that her lawyer has in mind.

Jodi's unearthly evenness is one of the things that convinced me that she thinks that fate is being played out.

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chanler For This Useful Post:

I do think she is guilty - her story doesn't make sense. She sounds like a drugged-up Charles Manson type to me. But, that being said, IMO Travis was a real jerk - pretending to be a devout Mormon and using Jodi (with her permission) for sex. I can't imagine that he didn't know she was a "raw" type of girl, definitely not the kind of girl to take home to momma. I'm not saying he deserved it, but I think he was a player and he played with the wrong girl.

46. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to who knew? For This Useful Post:

Chanler ... I thought your post was thought provoking. If my request for you to detail your thoughts further was offensive, it wasn't meant to be. New to this and may need to hone my writing skills

I missed the whole new age point, not something I am familiar with at all.
    "Law of attraction" blog post ... speaks to her obsession with Travis for sure. But I don't think it necessarily revealed her propensity for murder.

Boyz_Mum I thought her eyes almost twinkled when she spoke about certain events. But that goes to what Chanler spoke about; she feels they are linked forever. He will never have that opportunity to ask another girl to go to Cancun instead of her, she took care of that for eternity.

48. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Knox For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chanler View Post
    Hi, Boyz Mom. I too was struck by her statement about preferring the death penalty, which seems odd by some one who doesn't exactly look desperate now.

Mormons do believe in hell, though they don't emphasize as intensely as many other evangelical religions. My guess is that Jodi thinks that as a sincere believer who is at peace with herself, she doesn't feel any anxiety in that direction.

The family's silence can't be ignored, can it. I suspect that despite Jodi's claim that her family life has been idyllic, her family knows that she was obsessed with Travis and that she has deep unacknowledged emotional problems.

I think that her only very, very, very chance of any reprieve would be the insanity plea that her lawyer has in mind.

Jodi's unearthly evenness is one of the things that convinced me that she thinks that fate is being played out.
    You say things very well.

Jodi doesn't seem desperate, at all. Her situation, to most people (I'd like to think) is a desperate one. But she simply stated she'd rather have the death penalty. Maybe she's on some type of medication, but her lack of "reaction" to the situation she's in, even when she was asked "did you kill Travis", was unsettling to me. I don't explain it well, and I wasn't expecting to see huge drama play out on the show, but I did expect her to have a reaction of some sort. She was flat, like she had no emotion toward the sitation, at least nothing I could see. I would be curious to see what a psychiatric evaluation says about her.

Knox said it well when speaking about the "twinkling eyes". Her eyes did seem to light up at times, which is another thing that I think is almost chilling.

For anyone who knows anything more about Mormon beliefs, are Jodi's new age, philisophical sounding statements in anyway "in line" with the average Mormon thought? I realize she was a convert (I believe she converted because of her "relationship" with Travis, IIRC?) I don't know why, but her conversion to Mormon and her "peaceful demeanor" really bother me. Even if the idea of Hell isn't pounded into the heads of Mormons, surely the act of murder is still considered a sin?

I was taken aback by her family/friends not appearing on the show (even a letter or taped phone call would have been nice to hear- just someone speaking in support of her?) It makes me wonder what her background really consisted of. IMO.

The insanity plea does seem fitting for this case, Jodi seems off balance, IMO. It's almost like she was living a fairy tale and had to change the ending to suit herself. Know what I mean?

50. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boyz_Mum For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast