This Day In 1997 Air Force Releases Final Roswell Report.

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
From the History Channel Daily Email;

June 24: General Interest
1997 : U.S. Air Force reports on Roswell

On this day in 1997, U.S. Air Force officials release a 231-page report dismissing long-standing claims of an alien spacecraft crash in Roswell, New Mexico, almost exactly 50 years earlier.

Public interest in Unidentified Flying Objects, or UFOs, began to flourish in the 1940s, when developments in space travel and the dawn of the atomic age caused many Americans to turn their attention to the skies. The town of Roswell, located near the Pecos River in southeastern New Mexico, became a magnet for UFO believers due to the strange events of early July 1947, when ranch foreman W.W. Brazel found a strange, shiny material scattered over some of his land. He turned the material over to the sheriff, who passed it on to authorities at the nearby Air Force base. On July 8, Air Force officials announced they had recovered the wreckage of a "flying disk." A local newspaper put the story on its front page, launching Roswell into the spotlight of the public's UFO fascination.

The Air Force soon took back their story, however, saying the debris had been merely a downed weather balloon. Aside from die-hard UFO believers, or "ufologists," public interest in the so-called "Roswell Incident" faded until the late 1970s, when claims surfaced that the military had invented the weather balloon story as a cover-up. Believers in this theory argued that officials had in fact retrieved several alien bodies from the crashed spacecraft, which were now stored in the mysterious Area 51 installation in Nevada. Seeking to dispel these suspicions, the Air Force issued a 1,000-page report in 1994 stating that the crashed object was actually a high-altitude weather balloon launched from a nearby missile test-site as part of a classified experiment aimed at monitoring the atmosphere in order to detect Soviet nuclear tests.

On July 24, 1997, barely a week before the extravagant 50th anniversary celebration of the incident, the Air Force released yet another report on the controversial subject. Titled "The Roswell Report, Case Closed," the document stated definitively that there was no Pentagon evidence that any kind of life form was found in the Roswell area in connection with the reported UFO sightings, and that the "bodies" recovered were not aliens but dummies used in parachute tests conducted in the region. Any hopes that this would put an end to the cover-up debate were in vain, as furious ufologists rushed to point out the report's inconsistencies. With conspiracy theories still alive and well on the Internet, Roswell continues to thrive as a tourist destination for UFO enthusiasts far and wide, hosting the annual UFO Encounter Festival each July and welcoming visitors year-round to its International UFO Museum and Research Center.

First, the dropping mannequins that the air force claims were mistaken for alien bodies actually occurred from 1956 to 1960 as part of "Operation High Dive" from Holliman Air Force Base. OHD was a program to see what would happen to pilots who had to eject from a very high altitude. However, this program didn't start until nine years after the Roswell crash sightings. IMO, that makes things more hinky than an actual answer. :eek:

Many people have come forward with stories of strange metals being brought home that were only confiscated by Air Force officials. The problem with verifying all of these eye witness reports is that the supposed alien crash is Roswell's economy. If it weren't for the thousands of people who flock there year in and year out they would probably just be another small town that nobody would visit. :waitasec:

In addition to the horsehockey attempt to explain the bodies is that there was an actual, verified, report of a saucer recovery and alien bodies. :silenced:

Many wonder why the government would cover this up. That's just so obvious to me it seems to be a silly question. If they recovered technology way beyond what we are capable of it seems obvious that they really wouldn't want anyone to know about it.

I have seen an unidentified flying object. What I saw goes beyond any man made capability that I know of or can conceive of. What I saw was triangular and had a red light in the center. It hovered without a sound and I was roughly 400 yards from it. When it began to move across the sky it again was completely silent. What was it? I don't know? It was, as I said, beyond any capability I believe anyone on earth posses'. :eek:

The U.K. released a their UFO files last May. They were pretty interesting.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7398108.stm

I have always been fascinated with UFO's and the cover-up's that have ensued.

Do you watch UFO Hunters on History Channel?

The U.K. released a their UFO files last May. They were pretty interesting.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7398108.stm

I have always been fascinated with UFO's and the cover-up's that have ensued.

Do you watch UFO Hunters on History Channel?

I'm not much of a fan of UFO hunters. I don't know why but it's not that interesting to me. I guess I don't like the way it's produced. I like a lot of other stuff though. I can't stand how most shows go to different colors and camera angles and move in and out. It's this kind of stuff that makes it harder for people to take the issue seriously.

I've seen one, too. I was on the beach, in a small town just outside of Rio de Janeiro in 1980. It was shaped like a Tylenol capsule and it had yellow lights encircling the perimeter. There was no sound; it just hoovered there for a few minutes. I had my doberman Duke with me and I thought we were going to get beamed up. :eek:

It suddenly turned and zipped across the sky and vanished. I don't talk about it anymore because no one believes me. (No, it wasn't the Goodyear blimp.)

I've seen one, too. I was on the beach, in a small town just outside of Rio de Janeiro in 1980. It was shaped like a Tylenol capsule and it had yellow lights encircling the perimeter. There was no sound; it just hoovered there for a few minutes. I had my doberman Duke with me and I thought we were going to get beamed up. :eek:

It suddenly turned and zipped across the sky and vanished. I don't talk about it anymore because no one believes me. (No, it wasn't the Goodyear blimp.)

Don't you mean a giant Motrin capsule? :crazy:

How did your dog react?

Never seen a UFO, but I believe outer space is far to complex not to have other life forms. Whether or not they fly in UFO's and visit Earth, I don't know. But I'm sure they're out there.

The Human race (and Earth itself) is very young in comparison to the other planets so it's very feasible that there are other life forms that are far more technologically advanced than us, and are capable of making trips throughout space. My only concern is whether or not they would be able to live any length of time on our planet, knowing that the other planets that we know of are so different in terms of terrain and resources.

It's all very curious though.

Never seen a UFO, but I believe outer space is far to complex not to have other life forms. Whether or not they fly in UFO's and visit Earth, I don't know. But I'm sure they're out there.

The Human race (and Earth itself) is very young in comparison to the other planets so it's very feasible that there are other life forms that are far more technologically advanced than us, and are capable of making trips throughout space. My only concern is whether or not they would be able to live any length of time on our planet, knowing that the other planets that we know of are so different in terms of terrain and resources.

It's all very curious though.

I agree.

Many moons ago it was thought man could never fly and then the Wright Brothers proved that wrong. Then it was man could never pass the speed of sound because the aircraft would explode upon hitting the wall of sound and then Chuck Yeager proved that wrong. Then it was man will never walk on the moon and Neil Armstrong did it. Then it was man could never stay extensively in space and that was proven wrong by Skylab. Then it was man could never go to Mars and yet that's being worked on. Then it was man could never break the speed of light and yet people believe that is impossible. :waitasec:

Man has conquered the "impossible" so many times over the years it's foolish to believe he couldn't conquer most anything given enough time.

:cow:

Also the alleged mutilation of JP Lovette
http://www.geocities.com/aliengrip/Mutilations/JPLovette56-En.htm

Guarapiranga Human Mutilation Case
http://www.geocities.com/aliengrip/Mutilations/Guarapiranga-En.htm (WARNING: EXTREMELY GRAPHIC PICTURES OF THE BODY)

http://www.beyondweird.com/ufos/G_Cope_Schellhorn_UFO_Homicide_In_Brazil.html (CONTAINS NO PICTURES BUT DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF INJURIES BASED OFF THE AUTOPSY REPORT)

http://www.zimbio.com/Ufology/articles/16/Alien+Dark+Side+After+Cattle+mutilation+now

If anyone is interested further in this case as either a completely depraved homicidal attack or the work of aliens there is a thread in the Jury Room about it I started a few months ago.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82055&highlight=GUARAPIRANGA

Hey, you can't say I didn't warn ya!

I didn't use to believe in aliens. For one thing, I am totally not a Trekkie or a Star Wars buff. Just never interested me in any way, and I guess the whole UFO phenomenon - in my mind - kind of got lumped in with all of that. My childhood friend is totally enamored of the Twilight series and gave me a book and movie in the series and it interested me, and we got to talking about the different "rules" in the vampire world, i.e., what repels and kills them, what attracts them, etc. So I googled vampires and was ultimately led to a site not only about vampires, but aliens, UFOs, all things otherworldly. And much as I hated to admit it, there was some compelling information (including photos) that lends veracity to the case of there being documented alien encounters with man. I think I sat up all night reading about little (and big) green and grey men, and what that entailed for mankind - not good. And according to the site, our government is in on it, of course. Wish I could remember the name of the site, but I can't. All I can say is it left me with an open mind.

Hi Steely, I wanted to add this to the thread. We are down in El Paso now and Roswell is within driving distance. My younger son (age 15) has an interest in things UFO and we will be taking a day trip to Roswell NM for sightseeing because he wants to go.

If you want, after we visit I'll post pictures to my profile. I think it should be fun to visit just for the kitsch of it. [OT~ we are also going to drive up to White Sands for the older boy, we try to explore new areas with the kids everytime we move and we focus on what interests them a lot of the time:)]

I would love to see the pictures Kat.

Hi Steely, I wanted to add this to the thread. We are down in El Paso now and Roswell is within driving distance. My younger son (age 15) has an interest in things UFO and we will be taking a day trip to Roswell NM for sightseeing because he wants to go.

If you want, after we visit I'll post pictures to my profile. I think it should be fun to visit just for the kitsch of it. [OT~ we are also going to drive up to White Sands for the older boy, we try to explore new areas with the kids everytime we move and we focus on what interests them a lot of the time:)]

You're a good Mama! :blowkiss:

I would love to see the pictures Kat.

I'd like to see the photo's of her trip. Not cats. :rolleyes: Well not cats on her trip. :razz:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back