1150 users online (208 members and 942 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain

Girl Does Not Age

The person you see in this picture looks like an infant but in fact she is 16 years old. Dr's have not been able to figure out why she does not age but of course are very interested in her genetics.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/2020/Healt...7880954&page=1
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

Very interesting. I can't wait to watch 20/20 now!

If she is physically and cognitively like a baby at age 16, her mother must be exhausted. Can you imagine caring for an infant for 16 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    If she is physically and cognitively like a baby at age 16, her mother must be exhausted. Can you imagine caring for an infant for 16 years?
    Good view, I didn't think of that, per se.

No, no, no, no, no, infant time was fun but so is not having to do everything for my son anymore...

Never getting to hear I love you or seeing first steps or first words is sad. Not experiencing the changes they go through and how they mature would crush me. Not to mention, three other children in the house when you eternally have an infant to care fo...

i've heard some mothers say they wish their kids would stay babies forever. after reading this they better think before wishing that.
    we need to encourage harder sentencing on those that are harming our children. our children are worth it!!

stop the circus!! these children as all children deserve to be found and justice brought forth for what has happened to them!!

I enjoy having a baby in the house (her sisters are 13 and almost 18, so it's been awhile since having a baby in the house). However, as TrishyPA said, it would be sad to miss all those firsts.

There is a sense of pride that comes with watching your baby grow into an ever-increasingly independent toddler, then go off to preschool, kindergarten, elementary school, middle school, then graduate from high school. Watching the young person who used to depend on you for everything become their own person. Going off on their own to live their own lives. What will happen when this girl's parents become elderly, yet she is still an infant?

It's all so odd. I hope I can see the 20/20 program. I always forget about those things!

I often express dismay at how fast my toddler is growing... I'll knock some wood afterwards from now on.

EDIT: I also feel for the sisters in the house - having a baby brother or sister is tough, so having one for that long must be a little rough. However, they seem like such a well adjusted family! Brooke is very lucky, and I am glad that they all seem happy with the situation. Likely not what they would have wished for, but they are clearly making the most of it.

However, as in all cases of development issues, I do worry about Brooke as her parents age. It will be sad for her to go through separation over and over again as her family passes away. I am glad her folks seem so young.
    Last edited by WhyaDuck?; 06-24-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: to add additional thoughts

A video about Brooke:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBbG2tSDfOo"]YouTube - Brooke Greenberg - An eternal baby?? - 2005[/ame]

Wow, pearseha, thank you for the video. I had no idea she had so many health problems. Yet she keeps miraculously "bouncing back." She is a very special child.

It is evident that she is a small bundle of joy and pride for her family. Their positive attitude in finding the silver lining in their plight is admirable. Her legacy may not be fathomable at this time but her genetics may hold the key to solving a number of medical mysteries.

This is likely the most bizarre article I've ever read.

I wonder how old this girl will live to be (not to sound morbid, but it is curious) and if she will ever start growing. It wouldn't be so bad once she made it to 40 and only looked 24!

It is a bizarre story. Doctors can't find out what went wrong or why there were sudden illnesses. The girl is being sent to school and teacher thinks she could know more about her surrounding than they realize. The poor kid can't even eat and has to have her feedings through a tube in the stomach since her esophagus is too narrow. Some of the comments on the article site were interesting. One person says that this is very similar to a bone protein abnormality in some who are also prone to strokes and aneurysms. Hopefully they'll find out what happened, but I doubt if it will help others in understanding the aging process any better or lead to some fountain of youth discovery.

How sad that she has to endure so many health problems. This is really bizzarre. I can't wait to see the 20/20 on her tomorrow night.

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    It is a bizarre story. Doctors can't find out what went wrong or why there were sudden illnesses. The girl is being sent to school and teacher thinks she could know more about her surrounding than they realize. The poor kid can't even eat and has to have her feedings through a tube in the stomach since her esophagus is too narrow. Some of the comments on the article site were interesting. One person says that this is very similar to a bone protein abnormality in some who are also prone to strokes and aneurysms. Hopefully they'll find out what happened, but I doubt if it will help others in understanding the aging process any better or lead to some fountain of youth discovery.

Wouldn't it be awful to find out that she was more developed mentally but had no way to express herself? An adult being stuck in a baby's body with the motor skills of an infant.

It reminds of a story I watched about a woman who was severely Autistic and could not speak. Everyone basically assumed she was not cognizant of her surroundings and didn't have anything to say until she got a hold of a computer. She stunned everyone with her articulate, intelligent and thoughtful words. All those years she had so much to say and no way to say it. Now she cruises around with a computer that voices her thoughts when she types them out (kinda like Stephen Hawking), goes to college, etc.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

Before I read the article, my first thought was, Where can I get this disease?

This is a truly bizarre story. Seems like she would be very prone to bed sores, and yet no mention is made of this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast