1208 users online (237 members and 971 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Two lost icons: For Generation X, a really bad day

- A record-shattering vinyl album and its moonwalking maestro. A paper poster of a golden-haired beauty in a one-piece swimsuit that was gossamer and clingy in all the right places.

It all seems so quaint now, the fragmented dream memories of a fleeting micro-era that began with words like "bicentennial" and "pet rock" and ended with MTV, Atari and absurdly thin cans of super-hold mousse.

The man-child named Michael Jackson and the luminous girl known as Farrah Fawcett-Majors jumped into our consciousness at a plastic moment in American culture -- a time when the celebrity juggernaut we know today was still in diapers.

When they departed Thursday, just a few hours and a few miles apart, they left an entire generation -- a very strange generation indeed -- without two of its defining figures.

"These people were on our lunchboxes," said Gary Giovannetti, 38, a manager at HBO who grew up on Long Island awash in Farrah and MJ iconography. "This," he said, "is the moment when Generation X realizes they're grown up."

Much more at link:

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/two-lost-i...d-day/24354?nc

This was a tremendous article on the events of Thursday, June 25, and worth sharing, I felt.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Thanks Dark Knight--this is so true.

May I illustrate?

Best selling pin-up poster of all time, 12 million copies sold. 1976

Micheal Jackson 1979 (at his most gorgeous). Fred Astaire had nothing on him. And that smile...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvc9XBTfu6g&feature=related"]YouTube - Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough[/nomedia]

I was 16 and 19 when this poster and video were released.

"When they departed Thursday, just a few hours and a few miles apart, they left an entire generation -- a very strange generation indeed -- without two of its defining figures."

It seems like only a few years ago and now they're gone...so sad.

R.I.P. Farrah and Michael

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    He looked adorable in that video - he should have stopped with the plastic surgery then!

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Quote Originally Posted by poco View Post
    He looked adorable in that video - he should have stopped with the plastic surgery then!
    I know. I could watch it over and over agian. He seemed so happy.

Thanks DK. Summed up the "weird" I've been feeling perfectly.

Me too!

My cousin, Jimmy, had the Farrah poster on his wall, and we (the little girl cousins) played with Charlie's Angels "action figures." I grew up roller skating to early Michael Jackson and later had "Thriller" on vinal. I know all the words to all the songs. I remember staying up late to watch the "world premere" of the "Thriller" video on Friday Night Videos (we couldn't get cable). And anyone else remember Farrah in "The Burning Bed"? I feel like yesterday wiped away a huge chunk of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by palmerk View Post
    My cousin, Jimmy, had the Farrah poster on his wall, and we (the little girl cousins) played with Charlie's Angels "action figures." I grew up roller skating to early Michael Jackson and later had "Thriller" on vinal. I know all the words to all the songs. I remember staying up late to watch the "world premere" of the "Thriller" video on Friday Night Videos (we couldn't get cable). And anyone else remember Farrah in "The Burning Bed"? I feel like yesterday wiped away a huge chunk of my life.
    OMG, palmerk! Are you one of my childhood friends in disguise?? You just described my youth to a T.

I can remember trying to learn the words to Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' in the hallway of my friend's house and literally laying on the ground laughing so hard as our other friend tried desperately to manage saying "mama say mama sa mama coo sa" over and over.

I can see it in my head like it was yesterday.

Thanks for the thread, DK. This was a sad sad day indeed.

Farrah Fawcett - one brave beauty!

OMG - My sisters & I always played Charlie's Angels in our back yard. I was Jill, My sister was Sabrina. Somewhere there is a picture of us haming it up in our best Charlie's Angels impression.

June has been a tough month for my childhood icons - David Carradine entertained me on many rainy Saturday afternoons on Kung Fu, Farrah Fawcett was inspiration to me & other little girls coming of age in the late 70's (I was 8 when she was Jill on Charlie's Angels). And Michael Jackson was always there, we also stayed up late to see his next hit music video. Ed McMahon was a huge icon as well - many of you knew him from Johnny Carson - to me he was the host of Star Search (and the publishers clearing house guy). Star Search has had it's own impact, it was the American Idol of my youth, and several stars were featured on that show, introduced by Ed McMahon.

4 icons of my youth gone in one month. It is a sad time indeed.

I heard this morning that Walter Cronkite had cerebral vascular degeneration and family is gathered.

Quote Originally Posted by poco View Post
    I know, he was adorable, but he was partially trying to send a message to his father, I believe.
    I had read that his father used to say his nose was "fat" and terrible things like that.

Parents can affect their children in such slight ways without thinking about what they're doing. All that negativism leaves scars and feelings of inadequacy and low self esteem.

Michael didn't need the surgery. He was beautiful the way he was.

I am still so sad that he passed away ... too young!

Quote Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
    May I illustrate?

Best selling pin-up poster of all time, 12 million copies sold. 1976

Micheal Jackson 1979 (at his most gorgeous). Fred Astaire had nothing on him. And that smile...

I was 16 and 19 when this poster and video were released.

"When they departed Thursday, just a few hours and a few miles apart, they left an entire generation -- a very strange generation indeed -- without two of its defining figures."

It seems like only a few years ago and now they're gone...so sad.

R.I.P. Farrah and Michael

I just knew from the title of your post that you were posting a link to the truly gorgeous of the two- Farrah Fawcett.
    Michael was talented. I'll stop there.

Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura View Post
    I know, he was adorable, but he was partially trying to send a message to his father, I believe.
    I had read that his father used to say his nose was "fat" and terrible things like that.

Parents can affect their children in such slight ways without thinking about what they're doing. All that negativism leaves scars and feelings of inadequacy and low self esteem.

Michael didn't need the surgery. He was beautiful the way he was.

I am still so sad that he passed away ... too young!
    I am still so sad about his obsessive drive to remake his beautiful face and change his skin. It really became a kind of observable insanity. He was gorgeous and he rejected it. His father has a lot on his hands, I'd say.

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingJana View Post
    I just knew from the title of your post that you were posting a link to the truly gorgeous of the two- Farrah Fawcett.
    Michael was talented. I'll stop there.
    I love that MJ video. It just makes me grin ear to ear. The memories! Thanks SJ.

Eve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast