Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 820
  1. #211
    carbuff is offline ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    13,630
    Yes, long rambling live-off-the-land road trips were common for young people of all nationalities. Traveler's checks were certainly very common at the time. Credit cards were becoming fairly widespread. And people did carry more cash than is common now. (Possibly robbery was the motive?)

    The Summer Olympics were held in Montreal at the end of July, 1976. Maybe they had come over for the Olympics and stayed after to see some of North America while they were here?
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)


  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:


  3. #212
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,167

    Melungeon

    It is my understanding that the murder victims skin were described as white with olive undertones.

    If they were from North America, it could be possible that the victims could be of Melungeon descent from the Southeastern United States.

    Those of Melungeon descent have been described as generally European American in appearance, often, though not always, with dark hair and eyes, and a swarthy or olive complexion.

    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melungeon
    Last edited by KateB; 04-03-2015 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Repair url tag.


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to nerosleuth For This Useful Post:


  5. #213
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Vienna, Austria (Europe)
    Posts
    36
    I find the money angle very interesting. Travellers cheques sound plausible, they were the most used way of taking money international before credit cards/ATMs came to wider attention. Could be helpful to know what happened if a number of cheques would not be cashed in - IIRC, you used to pay the amount to the bank in advance, so maybe there could be records of "leftovers"?

    Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    if that theory is correct, the family might not have cared that he was gone. that does not address her of course, but the same idea may apply. they disapproved of her decisions and they went on a free-spirited venture in the US.
    This may well be true, but it is a really sad thing to think about. After all that time, it seems almost impossible to find out their identities, but I still feel the need to try.


  6. #214
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    150
    Hello, everyone! It has been awhile since I have posted here, but I still am keeping tabs on this case. I recently contacted a psychic who has assisted the police in the past in cold case investigations. I am giving her information about this case to see if she can possibly find anything about it. Last night I spoke with her about it, and without me even saying a word she knew that the couple was from out of town. She says that she is very good with pictures, so I am sending her information with the photographs of the two murder victims. At this point, I think we should try anything. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.


  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elliottness For This Useful Post:


  8. #215
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,408
    With the discussion about whether "Jacques" was French or French-Canadian - have we considered that perhaps he was French-Algerian?

    Algeria was still a "colony" of France until 1962, and many French-Algerians moved back to France. This person could have fallen through the cracks so to speak - they may have lost touch with their childhood friends on moving back to France, and may have lost family and friends that would have reported them missing.


  9. #216
    carbuff is offline ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    13,630
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    With the discussion about whether "Jacques" was French or French-Canadian - have we considered that perhaps he was French-Algerian?

    Algeria was still a "colony" of France until 1962, and many French-Algerians moved back to France. This person could have fallen through the cracks so to speak - they may have lost touch with their childhood friends on moving back to France, and may have lost family and friends that would have reported them missing.
    Good thought.

    There is still a sizeable French-Canadian population in Maine and New Hampshire, too.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)


  10. The Following User Says Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:


  11. #217
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    152
    My geneology started with French-Canadian from 1600's to current as it spread out throughout New England. I'm from MA and my Dad comes from RI. I have no idea why nobody reports them missing.


  12. #218
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,853
    OK, call me crazy, but I am throwing a bit of international espionage into this case. Has the case of Yves Domergue (born 8/8/1954 in Paris, France – emigrated to Argentina in 1959 with 8 brothers and parents), and his Mexican girlfriend, Christina Cialeieta been discussed? They were apparently part of some left-wing militant group called the Revolutionary Workers Party in Argentina. There was some sort of junta in 1976, and several people “went missing”, including these two. The stories are conflicting as to when they actually went missing. Two “brutalized bodies” were found in September 1976 in Argentina, allegedly killed by the Argentine military dictatorship. They were not identified until JULY 2010 by a group of high school “sleuthers” from Argentina. Read here:

    http://globalnation.inquirer.net/ceb...murder-mystery

    An amazing irony between the Argentina case and the Mystery Couple case is that this article states that “….Between all the participants, part of the story could be reconstructed: it is presumed that on September 24, 1976, Yves and Cristina were shot and thrown on the side of the provincial road….”

    http://www.yvesdomergue.com/en/index.html

    Here is a comparison of their pictures with our Mystery Couple pictures:


    Attached Images Attached Images


  13. #219
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    With the discussion about whether "Jacques" was French or French-Canadian - have we considered that perhaps he was French-Algerian?

    Algeria was still a "colony" of France until 1962, and many French-Algerians moved back to France. This person could have fallen through the cracks so to speak - they may have lost touch with their childhood friends on moving back to France, and may have lost family and friends that would have reported them missing.
    there are several threads about this couple and the commentary may overlap. when I first saw this topic, I posted under the thread with the pictures. I did think about the former colonies and this was what I said then:

    I never heard of this couple before. Having looked at the pictures, the comments and the links, I have a slightly different take of this couple.

    I believe they were foreigners. Their resemblance to some of the Argentines is interesting in that most people in Argentina are an ethnic mix of Spanish and Italian blood. Argentine women, especialy of the upper classes, are very beauty conscious. I do not believe the couple is from Argentina, however, for two reasons. One, if they had just fled from a brutal military regime in their home country, I doubt that they would be driving or hitchhiking around the United States. Two, while Argentine customs may have changed over the years I cannot imagine an Argentine woman not shaving her legs.

    I do not believe they are Italian nationals either. If the initials on the watch are in fact the man's, the letter J is not customarily used in the Italian language. John is Gianni. Joseph is Giuseppe. The month of June is Giungno.

    The olive colored complexion certainly implies the Mediterranean area which would exclude their being Northern, Central or Eastern Europeans. I doubt based on their complexions that they were French Canadians.

    This, in my book, leaves us with Spaniards, Portuguese or Mediterreanan French. I do not know what the customs of women were back then, but I suspect French women were the group least likely of the three to have shaved their legs back then. (the man was clean shaven so it is not that they did not have any razors at their disposal). The French ancestry would include former colonialists in North Africa.

    So the question still remains how did this couple (probably French) of comfortable background get to the US, meander about and meet a violent death without anyone back home worrying about them?


  14. #220
    carbuff is offline ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    13,630
    Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    there are several threads about this couple and the commentary may overlap. when I first saw this topic, I posted under the thread with the pictures. I did think about the former colonies and this was what I said then:

    I never heard of this couple before. Having looked at the pictures, the comments and the links, I have a slightly different take of this couple.

    I believe they were foreigners. Their resemblance to some of the Argentines is interesting in that most people in Argentina are an ethnic mix of Spanish and Italian blood. Argentine women, especialy of the upper classes, are very beauty conscious. I do not believe the couple is from Argentina, however, for two reasons. One, if they had just fled from a brutal military regime in their home country, I doubt that they would be driving or hitchhiking around the United States. Two, while Argentine customs may have changed over the years I cannot imagine an Argentine woman not shaving her legs.

    I do not believe they are Italian nationals either. If the initials on the watch are in fact the man's, the letter J is not customarily used in the Italian language. John is Gianni. Joseph is Giuseppe. The month of June is Giungno.

    The olive colored complexion certainly implies the Mediterranean area which would exclude their being Northern, Central or Eastern Europeans. I doubt based on their complexions that they were French Canadians.

    This, in my book, leaves us with Spaniards, Portuguese or Mediterreanan French. I do not know what the customs of women were back then, but I suspect French women were the group least likely of the three to have shaved their legs back then. (the man was clean shaven so it is not that they did not have any razors at their disposal). The French ancestry would include former colonialists in North Africa.

    So the question still remains how did this couple (probably French) of comfortable background get to the US, meander about and meet a violent death without anyone back home worrying about them?
    By what logic do you eliminate French Canadians and not French colonials?????????
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)


  15. #221
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,463
    their complexions appeared more Mediterranean to me and while I'm sure some Mediterranean French emigrated to Quebec, the olive colored complexions are not what I saw among the French Canadians on my visits to Montreal.

    purely subjective, but at the same time I don't think too many Canadian women were running around with unshaved legs in the 1970's.


  16. #222
    carbuff is offline ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    13,630
    Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    their complexions appeared more Mediterranean to me and while I'm sure some Mediterranean French emigrated to Quebec, the olive colored complexions are not what I saw among the French Canadians on my visits to Montreal.

    purely subjective, but at the same time I don't think too many Canadian women were running around with unshaved legs in the 1970's.
    I think we may be having some disagreement as to exactly what color "olive" in a complexion is.

    There were as many Canadian women as American, I would guess -- in the 70's, it's more a sign of the hippie-liberation-free-spirit than of any particular nationality.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)


  17. #223
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Reannan View Post
    OK, call me crazy, but I am throwing a bit of international espionage into this case. Has the case of Yves Domergue (born 8/8/1954 in Paris, France – emigrated to Argentina in 1959 with 8 brothers and parents), and his Mexican girlfriend, Christina Cialeieta been discussed? They were apparently part of some left-wing militant group called the Revolutionary Workers Party in Argentina. There was some sort of junta in 1976, and several people “went missing”, including these two. The stories are conflicting as to when they actually went missing. Two “brutalized bodies” were found in September 1976 in Argentina, allegedly killed by the Argentine military dictatorship. They were not identified until JULY 2010 by a group of high school “sleuthers” from Argentina. Read here:

    http://globalnation.inquirer.net/ceb...murder-mystery

    An amazing irony between the Argentina case and the Mystery Couple case is that this article states that “….Between all the participants, part of the story could be reconstructed: it is presumed that on September 24, 1976, Yves and Cristina were shot and thrown on the side of the provincial road….”

    http://www.yvesdomergue.com/en/index.html

    Here is a comparison of their pictures with our Mystery Couple pictures:

    I think the dates rule this couple out, but in reading about the Argentina "Dirty War" that started in 1976, I think we should investigate this angle. There are new websites up where efforts are underway to at least remember a lot of the people who went missing during this period of Argentina history. Here is one of the sites that has a lot of people's pictures, but I can't seem to link to them yet:

    http://www.sansvoixsansvisage.net/rubrique8.html

    This site seems to also be of interest:

    http://www.memoriaabierta.org.ar/eng/principal.php

    I wonder if it would be beneficial to contact some of the people at these sites and point them to this thread??? Thoughts??
    Last edited by Reannan; 12-28-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Spelling


  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Reannan For This Useful Post:


  19. #224
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    dirty south
    Posts
    286
    Reannan, I agree that this should be looked into. The pictures you posted were some of the closest matches I've seen in a loong time! Good job!

    nothing seems black when i see your red shoes


  20. #225
    carbuff is offline ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    13,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Reannan View Post
    I think the dates rule this couple out, but in reading about the Argentina "Dirty War" that started in 1976, I think we should investigate this angle. There are new websites up where efforts are underway to at least remember a lot of the people who went missing during this period of Argentina history. Here is one of the sites that has a lot of people's pictures, but I can't seem to link to them yet:

    http://www.sansvoixsansvisage.net/rubrique8.html

    This site seems to also be of interest:

    http://www.memoriaabierta.org.ar/eng/principal.php

    I wonder if it would be beneficial to contact some of the people at these sites and point them to this thread??? Thoughts??
    It does look like a promising lead.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)


Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #5
    By Richard in forum Mystery couple murdered South Carolina 1976
    Replies: 435
    Last Post: 10-17-2009, 10:47 AM
  2. Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #4
    By christine2448 in forum Mystery couple murdered South Carolina 1976
    Replies: 552
    Last Post: 06-27-2009, 07:31 PM
  3. Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #3
    By christine2448 in forum Mystery couple murdered South Carolina 1976
    Replies: 538
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 10:01 PM
  4. Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #2
    By Richard in forum Mystery couple murdered South Carolina 1976
    Replies: 402
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 06:08 PM
  5. Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #1
    By Richard in forum Mystery couple murdered South Carolina 1976
    Replies: 444
    Last Post: 01-12-2008, 03:03 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •