GUILTY FL - Shaianna Hare, 2, strangled by python, Oxford, 1 July 2009

jnTexas

Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529709,00.html?test=latestnews

The child was strangled by the snake overnight after it escaped from its aquarium at a home in Oxford, about 50 miles northwest of Orlando in central Florida, according to Sumter County Sheriff's Lt. Steve Binegar

Jaren Ashley Hare, 23, shared the home with Shaiunna and Hare's boyfriend Charles Jason Darnell, 32, deputies said.

Darnell told investigators that he put the snake in a bag inside its aquarium Tuesday night. But when he woke up the morning, the snake was gone. He found it wrapped around the girl in her crib.

Darnell stabbed the snake repeatedly to free the little girl, but the toddler had been bitten on the head, MyFOXTampaBay.com reported.

poor baby must have sufferd being squeezed to death. You would think she would've been screaming?

How awful. I hate snakes. I hate people who have these kinds of snakes in homes with children. Poor baby. Simply frightening.

poor baby must have sufferd being squeezed to death. You would think she would've been screaming?

It's awful, but I imagine if you can't breathe, you can't scream either.

Poor sweet baby...

NEGLIGENCE & IGNORANCE is to blame for this.I can bet you a million dollars this snake wasnt in a secured habitat(Im not buying the snake was in a bag inside the aquarium & somehow got out story).This was also a snake that had no business being in a home with small children.I had a Ball Python that I adored as did my older kids but the bigger she got,albeit slowly over time,the less appropriate she was as a pet(which made me re-think the idea of keeping them as pets in general!)& she got ,through no fault of her own,too "strong"for me to handle(although she was still good natured) so I had to re-home her.Snakes are not for everyone & quite honestly probably not meant to be pets!! This was so tragic & so easily preventable! :(

I hate snakes too. As far as I am concerned the only good snake is a dead one!! I hope this poor baby passed out before suffering too much. God bless her.

This just INFURIATES me! I cannot believe this two year old child died due to the absolute negligence of this mother and live-in boyfriend. Just another case of the mother putting a boyfriend ahead of her child. SHE let the boyfriend have the snake there.

There should be hard charges for the both of them! This was a vicious, needless, and senseless death of this little girl. And for what? Because the boyfriend wanted to have this dangerous snake in the house and was not even secured.

:furious::furious::furious:

Why on earth would anyone have a Python in the same house as a toddler ?

I understand that some people have a love of snakes..myself...no way in hell! I am scared to death of them to the point that if they are crossing the road in front of me while driving, I pick my feet up off the floorboard.
Its a shame that a lack of priority in this case has caused the life of a child. People need to wake up everyday and tell themselves that "it could very well happen to me"
Shame..just a pure shame!

I am so jaded. I am having alot of trouble believing the story.

Seeing the faces of both the mother and her boyfriend (I think the pics were on Foxnews.com) - they are both in terrible pain over this. I believe this was an accident. Preventable and stupid, yes, but an accident.

Both adults should have charges brought. Poor baby may she RIP!
When will people understand that babies need to be protected and that they take presidence over any other relationship?

As a side note, years ago a girl I knew had moved in with a guy, looking back and understanding things better I can see that she had a very bad homelife as a child and ended up doing a lot of things most kids dont. Anyway she had a baby with this guy, he also had a dog, a mean dog. When he wouldn't get rid of the dog she chose to save her baby and left him. I wish all mothers would think of their babies first!

VB

Seeing the faces of both the mother and her boyfriend (I think the pics were on Foxnews.com) - they are both in terrible pain over this. I believe this was an accident. Preventable and stupid, yes, but an accident.

I feel differently about this, to me an accident is walking across a floor and your foot slips on some water you didn't notice was there. What happened here is like setting up a blanket for a picnic in the middle of a busy freeway, thinking everyone can just go around you, you chose the spot because you like the view.

VB

I understand that some people have a love of snakes..myself...no way in hell! I am scared to death of them to the point that if they are crossing the road in front of me while driving, I pick my feet up off the floorboard.
Its a shame that a lack of priority in this case has caused the life of a child. People need to wake up everyday and tell themselves that "it could very well happen to me"
Shame..just a pure shame!
bold,me
Thats the same thing I do, not so much here, but in FL there were lots of snakes in the road.
When this guy called 911, he said "the stupid snake got out and killed the baby". Sorry to say this, but it was not the snake that was stupid here.

I feel differently about this, to me an accident is walking across a floor and your foot slips on some water you didn't notice was there. What happened here is like setting up a blanket for a picnic in the middle of a busy freeway, thinking everyone can just go around you, you chose the spot because you like the view.

VB

Point taken. I guess what I meant was that I'm not getting anything hinky from the situation.

bold,me
Thats the same thing I do, not so much here, but in FL there were lots of snakes in the road.
When this guy called 911, he said "the stupid snake got out and killed the baby". Sorry to say this, but it was not the snake that was stupid here.

Absolutely agree.

This is going to sound very self righteous, but people need to grow and make smart choices. I know their living arrangement had nothing to do with this child's death, but I am so tired of women living with boyfriends and vice versa, and then some child ends up dead, missing, or badly hurt. I know this could have happened if they had been long time married, but to me this lack of commitment indicates a serious lack of maturity and accountability?

Reading the article again, it mentions that earlier in the evening the snake had gotten out, so when it got out again and killed the baby that was the second time it had escaped. It looks like they had been given a warning that it could happen, why in the world did they think it wouldn't happen again? Sorry but if I knew a huge snake had gotten out earlier, I sure would not have been sleeping peacefully through the night while my baby was in the same home as that snake!

VB

This was exactly why I was terrified when my sister's dumb *advertiser censored** boyfriend bought an Anaconda. I sent her every story I could find about snakes killing children and worried her to death until they finally got rid of it. May this baby R.I.P.

Just re-read more detailed article & yes charges should be brought cos as I said the snake probably wasnt in a secure habitat......A DOG CRATE IS NOT A SNAKE HABITAT! Snakes CANNOT be in a cage or ANYTHING with openings!!! WTF?? How much do we want to guess that the "bag" was a pillowcase.The bigger a snake gets the more they want to "wander" & they are VERY crafty & clever.This guy is a dumba$$ & should be charged with negligence.When my snake outgrew her tank(which they will do.........very expensive to continously buy new habitats) & before I had a chance to get her a new tank,in desperation,I held her overnight in a plastic storage bin with a locking lid! she had plenty of air holes in the lid but I could not, for her safety or ours, leave her in an unsecure tank..............WHY WAS THIS SNAKE IN A DOG CAGE AFTER ALREADY ESCAPING AND WHY ISNT THIS GUY BEING CHARGED???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brittinvestigates4u
Back