Cribs recalled for suffocation risk

Dark Knight

Reaction score
WASHINGTON – About 400,000 Simplicity drop side cribs were recalled Thursday for posing a suffocation hazard.

The Chinese-made crib's hardware can break or deform, allowing the drop side to detach. This creates a gap between the mattress and the side of the crib, where a small child could be trapped and suffocate, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The agency previously reported the death of an 8-month-old child from Houston, who suffocated when some of the plastic hardware on his crib broke and created a gap.

Last September, Simplicity recalled about 600,000 drop side cribs with similar defects. In 2007, the company recalled 1 million older model drop side cribs after two children became trapped and suffocated. The death of the 8-month-old from Houston was reported then, but the exact defect in his newer model crib was unknown at the time.

"If you have a Simplicity drop side crib, it has been recalled," said agency spokeswoman Patty Davis. She urged crib owners to go to the commission's Web site to see what actions to take next. But she cautioned parents not to put their children in any Simplicity drop side cribs at this point.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090702/ap_on_re_us/us_crib_recall

I have one of these cribs. when my boy was an infant i would go check on him and bump the crib lightly when leaning over and the whole drop side would fall off. He hasnt slept in the crib since sept when I heard about the first recall . But he did cont. to sleep in the crib even tho the side fell off ,i realy thought it was user error.
I was going to give the crib to a friend after it was fixed for the problem which was a new hardware set that it seems has been recalled as well so am just trashing it. I am glad my son was never hurt in his.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back