CO - Kristen Parker for infecting patients with Hepatitis C, Denver, 2009

What is wrong with people?! Obviously not clear-headed, but did she really have to expose the patients? Now these people are going to have to deal with the nightmare of wondering if they have hepatitis, getting tested, etc. Lawsuits will probably be forthcoming!

Geez! Aren't medical workers tested for drugs?!

They are when they're first hired, but my mom's been a nurse for 15 years and hasn't been tested since she was hired.

There have been some instances in her hospital where drugs have came up missing, so now they have these fancy vending machine type things, where you have to scan your badge so they know where the drugs are going.

They are when they're first hired, but my mom's been a nurse for 15 years and hasn't been tested since she was hired.

There have been some instances in her hospital where drugs have came up missing, so now they have these fancy vending machine type things, where you have to scan your badge so they know where the drugs are going.

Yep, you are so right. I work in a hospital, and the only test that is done is at hiring.

I've been a nurse for 30 years and I've never been drug-tested. I think they should do random drug testing though. They're probably afraid they won't have enough people left to fill out the schedule!

Those are called Pyxis machines. When I was a pharmacy technician I used to fill them and do minor fixes on them.

More stuff from today.

Somebody should have been monitoring her a lot more and noticed that when her patients were injected with the saline instead of Fentanyl they had a lower tolerance for pain. Her positive test for hepatitis C should have been passed along to her superiors. Since this is job related I think confidentiality could be waived by having people sign a limited waiver.

When I worked at the hospital I was given a hepatitis C vaccine because the job I had was a risk for picking it up. At that time they didn't know how long it was good for. I hope I'm still immune.

I think she should be charged with attempted murder for each case that comes back positive. JMO :furious:

If I had to guess, I would agree with SD. Attempted murder seems like the only fitting charge in this case.

This is not what you want to hear about going on in any hospital. When I worked at hospitals, we didn't have the spread of Hep. back then. That was years ago. But the danger of disease is high enough without these pinheads exposing pts.

One cannot expect people to take responsibility for themselves anymore. Sad, but true.

Goz

Surgery Tech Kristen Parker Gets 30 Years For Infecting 36 Patients with Hepatitis C
February 26, 2010 8:10 AM

DENVER (CBS/AP) Kristen Parker, a Denver based surgery technician who infected three dozen people with hepatitis C and may have exposed thousands more while hiding her drug addiction from hospital officials, has been sentenced to 30 years in prison.

Prosecutors had previously recommended that Parker get 20 years in prison, but a judge rejected the plea agreement. Some of the victims said it was not enough time.

Prosecutors say her scheme may have exposed nearly 6,000 patients at two hospitals to the virus that causes the incurable liver disease. Thirty-six of them got infected.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/21/crimesider/entry6125645.shtml

her getting only 30 years is as awful as what she did to all those people!! :mad:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back