MO MO - Carolyn Williams, 44, Columbia, 2 Jan 1989

analytical

I think, therefore I am......
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530003,00.html?test=latestnews

Missouri Cops Ask College Students to Help Solve Murder Mystery
Friday, July 03, 2009

COLUMBIA, Mo. — Columbia police are hopeful that DNA evidence and help from some college students may lead to a break in a 20-year-old murder mystery.

Carolyn Williams was stabbed to death in her Columbia home on Jan. 2, 1989. Police believe the murder was drug-related.

Tips have come in — the latest in 2005 — but none has panned out, Detective John Short said.

The case is getting new attention after students in Columbia College's Cold Case Homicide class chose to focus on it during the last semester. The elective class for students pursuing forensic science and criminal justice careers is taught by retired Columbia police Detective Mike Himmel.

(remainder of story at link above)

Win-Win situation. Students get a chance to put their skills to work in a live environment and LE gets 6 new sets of eyes to review evidence! I hope this happens at every college with this type of curriculum, think of all the cold cases which could potentially be resolved. Analytical, please keep us updated :)

Hope the perp's DNA is in the database!!!!

Anything new on this case

In the Cynthia Buckner case in Columbia mo, I'm wondering how seriously the husband was ever looked at? I can't believe there's not a thread for that case

Columbia Daily Tribune
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 31, 2020
Columbia Police continues to investigate 1989 cold case homicide of Carolyn Williams
''Columbia Police continues to investigate 1989 cold case homicide of Carolyn Williams
(COLUMBIA, MO) -
January 1, 2021 will mark the 32nd anniversary of the unsolved homicide of Carolyn Williams, 44, of Columbia. Williams was found murdered in a residence on Unity Drive on January 1, 1989.

During the last year, the Columbia Police Department’s Criminal Investigations Division reopened the case and continues to investigate. The decision was made to re-examine evidence that had been recovered during the investigation in 1989 and send what was applicable for advanced forensic testing using technological advancements that have occurred in this field over the last 32 years.

"It is very difficult anytime someone is murdered," said Assistant Chief Jeremiah Hunter. "The family needs answers about why their loved one’s life was ended. The Columbia Police Department owes it to the victim, the victim’s family and the community to find the person or persons responsible for taking the life of another," Hunter said. "We will continue to investigate this case and follow up on all leads as long as it takes to bring closure to the family."

Columbia Police asks anyone with information regarding this case to contact the Police Department at 573.874.7652 or CrimeStoppers at 573.875.TIPS (8477) to remain anonymous.

Case number 1989-000036''

Dec 31 2020
Columbia Police continues to investigate 1989 cold case homicide of Carolyn Williams
''The decision was made to re-examine evidence that had been recovered during the investigation in 1989 and send what was applicable for forensic testing.

"The family needs answers about why their loved one’s life was ended," Assistant Chief Jeremiah Hunter said. "We will continue to investigate this case and follow up on all leads as long as it takes to bring closure to the family."

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snugglebear
Back