1308 users online (230 members and 1078 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 84 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Couple who adopted 12 children shot to death #1

Couple who adopted 12 children shot to death
    Home invasion suspected, deputies say

A Beulah couple who adopted 12 children and owned several local businesses were found shot to death in an apparent home invasion Thursday evening.

The bodies of Byrd and Melanie Billings were found in the bedroom of their home in the 9700 block of Mobile Highway about 7:30 p.m.

"There were children in the home," Escambia County Sheriff's Office spokesman Sgt. Ted Roy said. "They are all accounted for and safe."

Roy said deputies found several children at the home ranging in age from an infant to 11 years old.

"The deputies had to wake some of the children," Roy said.

The Billingses were featured in a Christmas Day story in the Pensacola News Journal in 2005. At the time, the couple were the proud parents of 16 children. Twelve were adopted among them, children of drug users, children who were sexually abused and children with developmental disabilities. Six of the 12 had Down syndrome. Two had died.

(snipped)
    http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...WS01/907100327

How sad and these poor children!!

Oh, how very sad after all the great work this couple has done for children. May they RIP. I hope the POI will be given a rather stiff sentence for these two deaths.

We need more people like them in our world.

Goz

I saw this. I looked and the wife had a myspace she was last on 7/7 and noted that she was waiting for someone named Justin to get home to help with the kids. She was so proud of those children on her page. Very sad
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

Is this the same couple who was featured on TLC? I remember watching a special about a couple who had adopted numerous down syndrome children. God Bless this family. My heart aches for those poor children.
    Last edited by Kymistry35; 07-10-2009 at 03:18 PM.
    Happy New Years

From daisy's link, pg 2:
    Deputies are searching for three men in a red van in connection with the homicide, Roy said.
    Investigators are examining surveillance tapes from the home. Roy said the vehicle the suspects were in may have been captured on tape.
    Looks like there is some hope they will catch these guys soon.

Quote Originally Posted by teonspaleprincess View Post
    Is this the same couple who was featured on TLC? I remembered watching a special about a couple who had adopted numerous down syndrome children. God Bless this family. My heart aches for those poor children.
    No it is not the same couple. They also were the first ones that I thought of when I read this. The article has a picture of the murdered couple attached.

This is particularly horrible. What will happen to all of their children now? Why them? It was supposedly a home invasion. The family was wealthy. But damn it, they were one of the few families around who adopt and apparently doted on scores of special needs kids. Of all people, they should have been spared.
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

This is so sad. I just heard this on FoxNews and my heart breaks for the family, especially these poor children.

FoxNews is saying the couple had 16 children. Does anyone know which is correct (12 or 16)?

Quote Originally Posted by KaylynnCouture View Post
    FoxNews is saying the couple had 16 children. Does anyone know which is correct (12 or 16)?
    They have 16 children, 12 of whom were adopted. 8 of the children were in the home when the shooting occurred.

Investigators say eight of the children, ages 8-14, were home when the couple was shot. One of the kids heard the gunshots and called a family friend. Sheriff's Office spokesman Sgt. Ted Roy says one of them parents was shot in the head. Autopsies have not been completed.
    The Billings have 16 children; 12 of them adopted, some of whom have special needs.

http://www.wkrg.com/crime/article/do...-2009_2-53-pm/

They had 12 adopted children and the rest were biological.
    Happy New Years

This article says that they each brought two children to the marriage:

http://maggiesnotebook.blogspot.com/...-murdered.html

Scarey! This is just down the road from my mother! I believe 2 of the adopted children have passed away. So sad.

So sad! I hope some wonderful family will step up for these kids. This is the last thing that should have happened to them.

Has anyone heard any updates on this case?

I would think since they have a picture of the red van it wouldn't take long to identify who these horrid people are.

imo
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

Page 1 of 84 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast