1202 users online (228 members and 974 guests)  

Websleuths News

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain

NY - Carmen Saldana, 23, found strangled, Queens, 12 July 2009

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c..._saldana_.html

From the condition of the body it sounds like Carmen was likely raped. The chain on the door was busted suggesting forced entry. Her poor mother found her when she returned home work and found her daughter dead on her bed.

My step-sister went to school with Carmen at FIT (Fashion Institute).
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

Oh wow, gaia. Your stepsister must be in shock. I just read about this case this morning. I'm thinking the facebook clue might have a lot to do with this. Also, the fact that she was murdered in the home she shared with her parents leads me to believe the perp must known her or had knowledge of family schedule/ie when she would be home alone because busting into that house to kill her takes tremendous nerve if you don't know if her family might be there at the time.

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Link regarding the FB message Carmen left. She didn't seem too concerned at the time about this guy. It sounds like maybe someone knocked on the door and she opened with the chain on and when she wouldn't let him in he busted it.

I agree SM that it was probably someone she knew and was familar with her schedule. You don't just go busted into an apt without knowing whoelse is in there.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07142009...int_179191.htm
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

I just read in the NY Daily News that LE called Carmen's cell phone, which was missing from her home, and a man answered. They will not say whether or not the man is a suspect or just someone who may have found the phone or purchased it from someone looking to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gaia227 View Post
    Link regarding the FB message Carmen left. She didn't seem too concerned at the time about this guy. It sounds like maybe someone knocked on the door and she opened with the chain on and when she wouldn't let him in he busted it.

I agree SM that it was probably someone she knew and was familar with her schedule. You don't just go busted into an apt without knowing whoelse is in there.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07142009...int_179191.htm
    thanks for the link

the comments there are ridiculous, though! It's surprising to me that many of the people posting there are making it about politics and social networking sites. One guy even says something along the lines of "Stop showing your cleavage" as if a girl wearing a low cut shirt is somehow okay to stalk, rape, and murder!

I agree that if you're posting "massage" services on craigslist you need to be aware of what can happen, but it didn't make what happened to the lady killed by the C-List murderer and less tragic. When it comes to Facebook, I think that they're likely the most secure of all social networking sites, and I don't think that this crime had anything to do with Facebook, besides the possible clue she left. (Not that anyone here is claiming that Facebook is the reason she was murdered)

jnTexas is offline Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by SleuthyMama View Post
    I just read in the NY Daily News that LE called Carmen's cell phone, which was missing from her home, and a man answered. They will not say whether or not the man is a suspect or just someone who may have found the phone or purchased it from someone looking to get rid of it.
    I hope the perp was dumb enough to take it and answer!

Quote Originally Posted by kittenish View Post
    thanks for the link

the comments there are ridiculous, though! It's surprising to me that many of the people posting there are making it about politics and social networking sites. One guy even says something along the lines of "Stop showing your cleavage" as if a girl wearing a low cut shirt is somehow okay to stalk, rape, and murder!

I agree that if you're posting "massage" services on craigslist you need to be aware of what can happen, but it didn't make what happened to the lady killed by the C-List murderer and less tragic. When it comes to Facebook, I think that they're likely the most secure of all social networking sites, and I don't think that this crime had anything to do with Facebook, besides the possible clue she left. (Not that anyone here is claiming that Facebook is the reason she was murdered)

I try not to read the comments any more because I just get really angry. A girl was just murdered violently and people can think of nothing but derrogatory, mean, senseless and downright unnecessary things to say. Something about the anonymity of the internet really brings out the worst in people.
    --Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by SleuthyMama View Post

How could you be so stupid? If it really is the killer he is just pretty dumb and that's all there really is to say about that.
    --Ghandi

Looks like from the story in this morning's NY Post (www.nypost.com) that Carmen had attended a party the night before and left her cell phone at the home of the host. When her mother came home calling for her and got no response, she called the cell and got the host of the party on the phone who explained what had happened. He's been cleared as a suspect.

They now think someone may have followed her home from the party.

This will take you directly to the article about the party.
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/07152009...rty_179303.htm

Killer choked her manually.....
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...are_hands.html
    --Ghandi

Carmen Saldana's family comes face to face with man accused of killing her four years ago in Queens

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2gDTjlhn4

From last month:

http://www.qchron.com/editions/weste...80144932d.html

Jose Martinez, 22, of Corona pleaded guilty to murder last Friday in connection with the strangulation death of 23-year-old Carmen Saldana...

According to Lasak, Martinez will be sentenced to 14 years to life in prison as a juvenile offender on Jan. 27, 2016.