778 users online (109 members and 669 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On the Third Coast
    Posts
    8,667

    Needville Kid's Fight To Wear Long Hair Goes On

    http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...dville_isd.php

    13 July 09

    The six month battle between the Needville Independent School District and an Apache family seemed to be over after a federal judge ruled in January that the school district has to let 5-year-old Adriel Arocha attend regular classes, despite his long, braided hair...

    and

    Needville permits girls to wear their hair long and in exposed braids, so any claim that long, braided hair is per se dangerous or unhygienic is facially inconsistent with the grooming policy itself...

    more at link

    I am stunned that a public school district in this day would think it's okay to force a child not to wear long, braided hair. Unbelieveable.

    Hoppy
    "Don't forget the kangaroo!"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,450
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppyfrog View Post
    http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...dville_isd.php

    13 July 09

    The six month battle between the Needville Independent School District and an Apache family seemed to be over after a federal judge ruled in January that the school district has to let 5-year-old Adriel Arocha attend regular classes, despite his long, braided hair...

    and Needville permits girls to wear their hair long and in exposed braids, so any claim that long, braided hair is per se dangerous or unhygienic is facially inconsistent with the grooming policy itself...

    more at link

    I am stunned that a public school district in this day would think it's okay to force a child not to wear long, braided hair. Unbelieveable.

    Hoppy
    And, what an absolute waste of taxpayer's money!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    I'm with the two of you - this leaves me speechless.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    ChIllinois..........brrrrrrrr
    Posts
    1,405
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    I'm with the two of you - this leaves me speechless.
    I guess they have never heard the saying 'You have to choose your battles'?

    One would think there are bigger things to spend their time worrying about than this.

    'Tupid.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,523
    "Television cameras and photographers focused on the townsfolk who packed into a classroom at Needville High School. Locals were interviewed inside the classroom and outside the school, and the majority said they didn't want a long-haired kid in their kindergarten; it would be the first step in letting in big city problems."

    http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba.../07/post_1.php



    These "locals" need to take a little vacation.....

    Native American Culture Tour

    http://blackhillsvacations.com/vacat...ail.cfm?p=3558

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    1,670
    omg are we back in the 60s again where the school would battle over guys with long hair??
    we need to encourage harder sentencing on those that are harming our children. our children are worth it!!

    stop the circus!! these children as all children deserve to be found and justice brought forth for what has happened to them!!


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,492
    Wow! This makes my small hometown (which I think the average mind is still living in the 1700's) seem like New York City! Unbelievable! So many prejudices still alive in 2009 in the Land of Freedom and Opportunity.

    Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by capoly View Post
    "Television cameras and photographers focused on the townsfolk who packed into a classroom at Needville High School. Locals were interviewed inside the classroom and outside the school, and the majority said they didn't want a long-haired kid in their kindergarten; it would be the first step in letting in big city problems."

    http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba.../07/post_1.php



    These "locals" need to take a little vacation.....

    Native American Culture Tour

    http://blackhillsvacations.com/vacat...ail.cfm?p=3558


    Does this mean they are going to make the little girls cut their long hair too? These people are crazy spending this much effort on the length of this boy's hair.
    Shhhhh..........we're watching Nancy Grace.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by athy View Post
    omg are we back in the 60s again where the school would battle over guys with long hair??
    And teachers prowled the halls measuring sideburns and the lengths of skirts. (Since it was usually male teachers, the obsession with skirt length got pretty creepy, IMHO.)

    Oh, and let's make kids who don't wear socks parade around all day with paper bags on their feet. That'll show 'em!

    Ah, memories!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    7,598
    I cannot believe that in the 21st century, we are still trying to police the length of a male's hair. It is sexual discrimination to have long hair allowed on female students but not on boys.

    This is absolutely ridiculous and a terribly inexcusable waste of taxpayer's money.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,784
    According to our tradition, we will not cut our boy's hair until he reaches three, and I feel the tsk tsk from some people I know as his toddler mullet gets a little out of control, but it is my right as a parent to follow my heritage, as long as I keep him clean and groom him appropriately. It is ridiculous to apply arbitrary mainstream gender-biased values on everyone - North America is a land of diversity, and we should all accept that people have different practices.

    Sounds like hair neatly braided and well taken care of shouldn't even have been a concern for this school - they should pay more attention to maltreated children than ones whose parents are trying to maintain their culture or beliefs in dignity.

    This case is so very silly. "Big city problems"...? There should be some nice middle ground between "big city problems" and "small town narrow-mindedness," please and thank you.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    128

    Sad

    I couldn't believe it when the principal was quoted as saying that lawyers, doctors and other professionals don't have long hair. My DH has long hair and is a technical professional who has worked with CEOs. I work for a hospital and I see Drs with long hair all the time. A friend of mine who is a lawyer wore long hair for years and years. This is like saying little girls can't cut their hair short!!

    I feel like the district is fighting for their right to be right, rather than fighting on a specific principle. This is a public school, not private, and there is no way they can win this in a court of law.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    624
    This is ridiculous. If the little girls are aloowed to wear their hair in this style then its absolutely nobodys business but the little boy and his family how he should wear his. It shouldnt have anyhting to do with religion or culture etc either - it should be as simple as a personal choice.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,784
    Quote Originally Posted by missacorah View Post
    This is ridiculous. If the little girls are aloowed to wear their hair in this style then its absolutely nobodys business but the little boy and his family how he should wear his. It shouldnt have anyhting to do with religion or culture etc either - it should be as simple as a personal choice.
    ITA - but I'm glad it was a kid with a cultural explanation to break the rule. It's got more foundation that way. These people seem to think that "personal choice" makes no difference at all when it goes counter to their Cold War ideas of what proper conformity is. sigh.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    486
    My brothers were not allowed to graduate from 8th grade (this was in the early 70s) because their hair touched the back of their collar, and I remember my mom fighting it for awhile but they eventually had to cut it shorter in order to graduate. This was a Catholic school. My father just died the year before. She was so fed up that she took us all out of the school and put us in public school.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. NJ NJ - Logan Twp, Fem UP1779, 18-30, off I-295, long black hair, Mar'04
    By ihadcabinfever in forum The Unidentified
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-24-2016, 09:17 PM
  2. Scott "San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair)" McKenzie dead at 72
    By wfgodot in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2012, 06:41 PM
  3. Teens fight for their lives after hair styling tongs explode -UK
    By Taximom in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 04:59 PM