Deceased/Not Found WA - John Adkins, 53, Albany, 5 July 2009 *E. Rieman guilty*

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/july152009/missing_man_7-15-09.php

15 July 09

Oregon State Police detectives are assisting Long Beach, Washington police with the investigation of a missing Albany man last seen July 5th at the Port of Ilwaco on the south Washington coast.

The police are asking the public is asked to help provide information to find the man.

Sergeant Kevin Martin with the Long Beach, Washington Police Department, says 53-year old John Curtis Adkins, left with two men on the 48-foot fishing vessel "Tiger" from Garibaldi, Oregon on the Fourth of July weekend, heading for Ilwaco, Washington.

Mr. Adkins has not been heard from since he was last sighted July 5th at the Port of Ilwaco. A family member contacted Long Beach, Washington police to report him missing on July 7th.

The fishing vessel has returned back to the Garibaldi area and is accounted for at this point. Mr. Adkins is the only person missing.

Anyone with information to help find John Adkins is asked to call Oregon State Police Northern Command Center dispatch at 1-800-452-7888.

pics of Adkins and boat
1247688605.jpg

[Bolding is mine. This is a very strange story; anyone in the area have any more information?]

More information from

http://www.democratherald.com/articles/2009/07/16/news/local/4aaa04_missing071609.txt

16 July 09

John Curtis Adkins and two other men sailed the 48-foot commercial fishing vessel Tiger from Garibaldi to Washington, where it was to undergo repairs in dry dock for 10 days, said Adkins’ brother, George Adkins of Salem.

Reports by the Oregon State Police that the three were on a fishing trip were incorrect, Adkins said.

“The boat and the three arrived at the Washington port on July 4,” he said. “John talked to his family on the Fourth and the fifth, and on the seventh he was reported missing.”

Police Chief Flint Wright of Long Beach, Wash., told the Associated Press that Adkins was reported to have last been seen at 1 a.m. July 5 leaving a tavern down the street from the port. He was alone.

Adkins said his brother owns the Tiger and made the trip with his business partner, Erin Rieman.

So far, police say there is no evidence of a crime. The two men who were on the boat are considered witnesses and not suspects, Wright said.

more at link

Bumping this b/c I find it such an odd story...

Hoppy

Bumping this b/c I find it such an odd story...

Hoppy

Hi Hoppyfrog and thanks for the OP.

I lived in Depoe Bay Ore for many years and during that time knew of many boats that met with peril - awful stories to think about. I hope this man is found and has been having the best two weeks of his life, not realizing how time is passing by.

One thing I do know tho is if there was foul play and someone dumped him in the ocean he will eventually wash up. I know he was on land when last seen but that doesn't mean he wasn't given a he** of a ride after that!

It does sound so odd, as being the owner you'd think he would have kept watch on the work being done to the boat. First thought was the partner wanted full ownership but he is not suspected.

Ilwaco is usually a very busy little town, with commercial fishermen and lots of tourists readu to catch the 'big one'. I have been there many times and always enjoyed the ambiance of the town.

Maybe some punk tried to rob him especially if they knew he owned a boat there and had seen him in the tavern. Or a couple of punks. Ii hope we find out soon what has happened to him and send his family condolences on what they are going thru now until he is located. xox

Pacific City Man Arrested for Murder in Missing Albany Fisherman Case

A Pacific City man is under arrest on Murder charges. Police say the arrest is connected to the disappearance of an Albany man missing since last July, who was the owner of a 47' fishing vessel.

The suspect was arrested in Oregon and is pending extradition to Washington State for arraignment related to the murder of 53-year old John Curtiss Adkins, last seen on the south Washington Coast, whose body has not been found.

More: http://www.salem-news.com/articles/october212009/murder_arrest.php

http://www.democratherald.com/news/...cle_05bc58be-da0d-11de-9218-001cc4c002e0.html

Dec. 3, 1955 — July 6, 2009

John Curtis Adkins, 53, of Albany died July 6 in Ilwaco, Wash.

He was born in Salem the youngest son of George L. and P. Georgia Adkins of Salem. He attended Morningside and Bush grade schools, Judson Middle School, and graduated from Sprague High School in 1974. He then worked for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife on the Rogue River. He earned degrees from Mount Hood Community College in fisheries technology and from Chemeketa Community College in electronic engineering technology. He worked for Hewlett Packard in Corvallis for 19 years. After leaving Hewlett Packard in May, John pursued his dream of becoming a commercial fisherman.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back