777 users online (111 members and 666 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Former CBS News anchor Walter Cronkite is dead at age 92

No details. Just a banner at the below link.

http://www.cnn.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    No details. Just a banner at the below link.

http://www.cnn.com/
    Thanks...just saw a special "announcement" on CBS. I have so many memories of this fine journalist.

Walter Cronkite, who personified television journalism for more than a generation as anchor and managing editor of the "CBS Evening News," has died Friday night in New York. He was 92.

Known for his steady and straightforward delivery, his trim moustache, and his iconic sign-off line -"That’s the way it is" - Cronkite dominated the television news industry during one of the most volatile periods of American history. He broke the news of the Kennedy assassination, reported extensively on Vietnam and Civil Rights and Watergate, and seemed to be the very embodiment of TV journalism.

more at link
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5170556.shtml

One of the Good Guys of Journalism. I respected him very much. May he rest in Peace!
    "I am confident that, in the end, common sense and justice will prevail. I'm an optimist, brought up on the belief that if you wait to the end of the story, you get to see the good people live happily ever after."

Quote Originally Posted by DollyPardonMe View Post
    One of the Good Guys of Journalism. I respected him very much. May he rest in Peace!
    with him, goes the end of an era of journalism.

RIP Walter, your profession is less for your absence.
    The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them.
    Lois McMaster Bujold

They're showing a retrospective of him on TV now. He said about the current state of news that you should tell people what they need to know, not what they want to know.

My how things have changed.

I saw the same announcement on CBS. Godspeed to one of the few amazing reporters of our time. This gentleman was beyond respected from me. There will never be another Walter Cronkite. Only those who can wish to be close to his respectibility. He will be missed. Greatly.
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

A great man who God gave a long life. Walter will be greatly missed.

Rest in Peace
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

He pretty much covered every major news story of my lifetime... and that's the way it is. RIP Mr. Cronkite.

RIP Mr. Cronkite, one of the true legends of the new industry.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by momtective View Post
    He pretty much covered every major news story of my lifetime... and that's the way it is. RIP Mr. Cronkite.

He attended high school here in Houston, San Jacinto High, (now Houston Comm. College). I think I'll go there tomorrow and take some flowers.

RIP Mr. Cronkite.

Well, I grew up during his era of TV anchorship; back then we had 2 or 3 TV channels only; most families all across American watched the SAME shows - Wagon Train, Ponderosa, Mary Tyler Moore...

Most families watched the news in the evening with Walter Cronkite, as our fathers sat with their beer or drink after coming home from work and our mothers prepared dinner as we kids set the table.

We trusted what we heard, and he reported the news as objectively as he could. He was as familiar to our routine as watching our own fathers walk through the door. I'll never forget his announcement of Kennedy's death - his emotion was so totally uncharacteristic of his reporting (and uncharacteristic of most men during those times).

Supposedly the only time he expressed a subjective opinion on a subject was after he travelled to Viet Nam with Lyndon Johnson.

I miss the warm and fuzzy feeling of listening to Walter every night. At least he was fortunate to live a long and productive, satisfying life. How many can do that? RIP Walter Cronkite

Just heard about Walter Cronkite. May he rest in peace, and may God bless and keep his family.

I am 58 years old, and I remember when I was in grade school we could not have supper until Walter Cronkite was over! AND we could not talk during the program! He was on TV in our house every night.

I had a tremendous amount of respect for him.
    Last edited by LaLaw2000; 07-18-2009 at 09:47 AM.
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

He is the end of an era for many of us

RIP, Mr. Cronkite. I remember his evening news so well when I was a child too.

The only part of President Kennedy's assissanation that I remember is the very first live announcement that Mr. Cronkite made just as " As The World Turns" was starting its live performance that day. My mother told me it wasn't part of " the show" and she cried softly and held me and prayed quietly for a dying statesman in Dallas..
    I don't remember any of the rest of the events surrounding President Kennedy's death-- it was all so foreign to me and I was too young to understand or for the televised ceremonies to make a lasting memory. But I knew Walter Cronkite, so I remembered his announcement and how serious he looked and sounded.
    My only memory of a part of our history is now gone.

RIP, Mr. Cronkite. You were a gentleman and a respected reporter. They don't grow them like you any longer.

Respectfully,
    Maria

"Acquiring a pet may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative".

This is MY truth, and this is my new baby puppy, Beau Monde.
    He will be joined in July by a tiny playmate.
    Please spay and neuter your dogs and cats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast