WA - Man drowns after rescuing child from river

Liz

I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
Reaction score
Body of man who rescued toddler found in Cowlitz River

04:23 PM PDT on Saturday, July 18, 20

LONGVIEW, Wash. - The Cowlitz County Sheriff's office says the body of a man who rescued a 3-year-old girl from drowning in the Cowlitz River, then disappeared in the water, has been found.

The body of 20-year-old Alan Heck was found 50 yards down river from where he was last seen.
--> more at link

What a truly incredible young man - to risk, and ultimately give his life to save a child unknown to him!

My heart and prayers go out to his family & friends, for their loss. :praying:

May you Rest in Peace, Alan - a true hero!

ETA: Found another article that says the child was 9 years old; and that the earlier reported age of 3 was incorrect.

http://www.komonews.com/news/51101177.html

A couple snippets from the KOMO link

Heck's family, including mother and sister, say he was a kind, loving and funny young man, who was homeless. They say he did not know the young girl, but when he saw she was in trouble, he ran to help.

"He would give anybody the shirt off his back," said Heck's mother, Tara Kubacki. "He probably wasn't even thinking that he would be in danger when he went after that little girl. He probably just thought that he needed to help somebody."

~snip~

Heck was the second person this summer to die while coming to the rescue of a child in a Pacific Northwest river.

Daniel Diaz, 33, of Kent, died on the Fourth of July weekend when he jumped into the Columbia River in Oregon to rescue a 12-year-old boy he didn't know who ran into trouble while trying to swim across the waterway.

RIP, Daniel Diaz - You died a Hero.

Last week, two deputies in my town risked their lives jumping into the swift moving river, to rescue a two-year old, who had been swept away by the current. Fortunately for the little girl, and her loved ones, she was saved. Thankfully it was a good outcome for all and everyone survived.

I'm so grateful to our true heroes!

Daniel did die a hero. I hope something will be set up in his honor; maybe something to help other homeless people. The article said he handed the little girl off once he was close to shore. Was he just so tired after the rescue that he couldn't make it the short way to shore? I wish someone had been there to help him make it back. Perhaps his life/situation could have been changed.

Thanks, lizzybeth.

I think my (2nd) post was a little confusing.

Alan Heck (Washington state) is the young man the died rescuing the little
9-yr old girl, in my opening post.

The second link made mention that he (Alan) was the second man to die this month rescuing someone they didn't know. They noted that Daniel Diaz (Oregon) died rescuing a 12-yr old boy, over the Fourth of July weekend.

I just wanted to mention both mens names, as they are heroes, who sacrificed their lives, to save another's.

I didn't make it very clear and apologize for the confusion.

Thanks once again Liz. I must need more coffee or maybe I should put my glasses on.

They're both heroes.

This may not have anything to do with anything, but when around water, my children always and I mean always, wore life vests. Not the orange cheezy things but true vests that were comfortable for them to wear. I don't understand how people let these little ones near water without one. Yes, a current will still pull a child away, but a vest will keep them afloat and their head above water. My step Grankids, wear lifevests. Period. They swim like fishes but when around open water the vests go on and they have done this from such a young age that it is second nature.
If one has time to go and pick up rod, reels,bait, chairs, tents, food, drinks, bug spray, then there is time to get a life vest. The best to get is at a boat marina, now a days they are lightweight, dry fast and less cumbersome than the old ones. This is where you "Get what you pay for", they are more expensive but worth every penny and can be passed down to other children if in good condition. These types do not throw the child onto their face, it keeps them in an upright position.
Floaties are not a safety device and should not be used as such.
So many things would be different if folks would just use a little common sense around the water.
What heros these men are, they didn't have to jump in, but they did, to save a child, bless their hearts.

i'm sorry for these two heros to have lost their lives but it is great to see/hear of two people that thought of a child before themselves. some people put homeless people down but just think if it weren't for him her life might not have been saved. some are homeless out of wanting to, some out of shear stupidity on their own actions, some out of just life's situations. these men both deserve hero burial. and an acknowledgement on their graves to let others know the sacrifice they made.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back