Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 241

Thread: West Memphis 3

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,393

    West Memphis 3

    Im ,after LP and I bantering about this in another thread,starting this to discuss the WM3 case

    I ,after alot of research,belive this is one of the biggest miscarriages of justice (and Im usually very Pro LE/Prosuction ) but am open to and interested in hearing opposing views on this case.

    This controversial case has become quite a "hot" topic as the 3 accused are down to their final appeals as well as alot of celebrities drawing attention to the case, a fictional WM3 movie due out this summer as well as a 3rd installment of the HBO produced "Paradise Lost" documentry series about the WM3.


    I belive that even if you doubt their innocence there is just too much evidence to ignore and this case MUST be reopened,reexamined and the "boys" freed.
    Last edited by VespaElf; 06-14-2004 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling!
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

  2. #2
    For anyone who hasn't seen Paradise Lost I or II, I recommend trying to find them. Ebay is a good place to look. They are documentaries about this case and contain the real players. One of the murdered boys, whose name I believe was Christopher Byers, has a very suspicious father, and at first I was pretty sure they were going to find he might have been involved in some way. However, it was determined that it would have been almost impossible for one person to have killed all three boys. There was also a suspicious man at a restaurant, I believe it was the "Bojangles" restaurant.

    Its been a LONG time since I discussed this case, so my memory is going to need to be seriously refreshed. However, I do remember reading Damien's psychiatric records and after watching everything I could about the case, reading about three dozen websites and at least one paperback book, I think the three are guilty.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,393
    Yes Steven Byers (Christopher Byers,one of the victims' Step-Father) is one VERY strange man and one of the biggest reasons that got me off the fence and onto the "Theyre innocent" side.

    The bite marks on Christophers body do not match Jessie,Damian or Jason (the WM3).
    After this information was released Steven Byers had all of his teeth removed(and although this was confirmed by a Dentist Mr.Byers' continues to tell different accounts of why he has no teeth).
    Although this by far not the only reason Steven Myers is strange and not the only incident in/around this case that got me looking at it differently .



    Paradise Lost 1 & 2 are /should be at most Blockbusters as well.
    I also reconmend reading the pro-inocence book "Devil's Knot" as well as the Pro-guilty "Blood of Innocents"



    Although it contains a wealth of information the WM3.org site is quite biased and Im not aware of any "guilty" Wm3 sites.............if anyone knows of any-let me know!
    Id like it ,if you could LP ,to refresh yourself on the case as Im interested in discussing this with you.{EDIT: Just caught the link LP,thanks!}



    LP-where did you read Damien's psych. records? Id be quite interested in that!!
    Last edited by VespaElf; 06-14-2004 at 04:59 PM. Reason: UPDATE
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

  5. #5
    Here's what I found at the link about the "bite mark."

    Similarly, the bite mark issue raised in one of the films was dealt with badly, both in the film and in this book. If there truly was an issue in which a bite mark could have exonerated the defendants, an exhumation could have been ordered to bring up the body and provide both sides with means for careful examination. As it stands, it appears to have been merely a side issue raised by a man with no training in forensic pathology and it was quickly dispensed with in the courtroom.



    As for the medical records - damn good question. We had a heavy duty discussion going on in another forum and I can't find it. Someone actually copied them and posted them after a court order forced them to turn them over. I'll keep looking though!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,393
    Quote Originally Posted by LP Moderator
    Here's what I found at the link about the "bite mark."

    Similarly, the bite mark issue raised in one of the films was dealt with badly, both in the film and in this book. If there truly was an issue in which a bite mark could have exonerated the defendants, an exhumation could have been ordered to bring up the body and provide both sides with means for careful examination. As it stands, it appears to have been merely a side issue raised by a man with no training in forensic pathology and it was quickly dispensed with in the courtroom.



    As for the medical records - damn good question. We had a heavy duty discussion going on in another forum and I can't find it. Someone actually copied them and posted them after a court order forced them to turn them over. I'll keep looking though!


    As far as I know I have been told the method used r/e the bite marks is one commonly used in court proceedings and although not ideal as yes the actual bite marks were not tested(just an impression) it is still being upheld by the WM3 defense (to my knowledge).


    Please if you do come across the records-link them! Id love to take a peek!


    Also the WM3 site has a great detailing of the all evidence for/against.
    I know you're firmly "against" but as for study in regards to the case its informative.
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by messiecake
    As far as I know I have been told the method used r/e the bite marks is one commonly used in court proceedings and although not ideal as yes the actual bite marks were not tested(just an impression) it is still being upheld by the WM3 defense (to my knowledge).


    Please if you do come across the records-link them! Id love to take a peek!


    Also the WM3 site has a great detailing of the all evidence for/against.
    I know you're firmly "against" but as for study in regards to the case its informative.

    Well I believe something may have come to light that made this point either moot or close to it. If I have any free time, I'll search again for those records. It was a long while ago and I'm pretty busy these days with Peterson!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    568
    I also followed the HBO Paradise Lost documentaries. Chris Byers' dad was a WHACK job thats for sure. That whole case has me mystified... I am leaing twoard innocent after the documentaries were released, but I cannot understand how something like bite marks that could exhonerate the WM3 would not be reintroduced into court. Thanks for that link, I have been wanting to get up to speed on this and haven't been to the WM3 site in a long time.
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart."-Helen Keller
    Laci & Conner.... you will always be in my heart.

    Proud Military Wife

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,547
    I just ordered Devils Knot. This is really intruiging me. How sad if these poor boys are innocent... terribly sad for all.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    "The truth is on the march and nothing will stop it" Emile Zola
    Posts
    15,525
    Quote Originally Posted by blueclouds
    I just ordered Devils Knot. This is really intruiging me. How sad if these poor boys are innocent... terribly sad for all.
    That's it. That's the book I have started to read. Trouble is I can't find it. That's why I couldn't remember the name. Must be under a bed.

    Damien is a strange egg no doubt. However the evidence, what I have read about so far, is very weak. Extremely weak.

    At the very least I hope they take Damien off of death row. Can't undo that one if the state iswrong.
    `````````````````

    JOIN US EVERY THURSDAY NIGHT FOR TRUE CRIME RADIO ON IHEART. CLICK HERE THURSDAYS 8 PM EASTERN FOR THE LINK TO THE SHOW AND TO JOIN OUR NEW CHATROOM.

    FOR PAST IHEART SHOWS CLICK HERE



    Join Websleuths on Twitter

    Follow websleuths on Twitter

    And Face Book of course
     | 





    ************************************************** **************************************

    Tricia Griffith
    tgrif@xmission.com
    6300 N. Sage Wood Drive
    Suite H # 214
    Park City UT
    84098

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,393
    Ok,after alot of searching I found Damien's records(they are not prison psych. records but records taken during a brief stay he had at a Charter Clinic way before the murders at Robin Hood Hills).

    Interesting reading(although I knew Damien had problems prior to this) but it still doesn't change how I feel about the WM3's guilt.

    If anyone is interested I can post the links (they are in a thread about the WM3 on another message board that deals with criminal cases)
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,393

    Wm3

    Here is the link for the WM3 online petition if anyone is interested:


    http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...gn.cgi?WM32002
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,329

    Question

    i am not familiar with this case, but now really want to read this book...it sounds most intriguing.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,547
    Ok I'm a 3rd way through my book (Devils Knot) and I cannot say with 100% that these kids are innocent. What I do think is there is credible evidence against Byers definitely... but I wouldn't pass up Damien as a DEFINITE suspect as well. I think the other two boys are innocent... This author has not done them justice IMO at all. She is too strong with swaying her readers. Yet when she starts writing, she promised a unbiased version. Disappointed in that. She "skims" over very lightly on prosecutors evidence and STRONGLY DETAILS the potential of innocence. One cannot deny that there IS evidence pointing to Damien to a small degree and the things he said to the victims families during the trial, OMG. Also, while I have not come across it in the book, I have heard that there was a bloody sneaker from Jason or Damien that the prosecutors had in their possession and when they released it to the defense, it was "lost". Can anyone clarify if that is evidence... as one of the victims mother is saying that.

    I am not convinced yet.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,393
    Quote Originally Posted by blueclouds
    Ok I'm a 3rd way through my book (Devils Knot) and I cannot say with 100% that these kids are innocent. What I do think is there is credible evidence against Byers definitely... but I wouldn't pass up Damien as a DEFINITE suspect as well. I think the other two boys are innocent... This author has not done them justice IMO at all. She is too strong with swaying her readers. Yet when she starts writing, she promised a unbiased version. Disappointed in that. She "skims" over very lightly on prosecutors evidence and STRONGLY DETAILS the potential of innocence. One cannot deny that there IS evidence pointing to Damien to a small degree and the things he said to the victims families during the trial, OMG. Also, while I have not come across it in the book, I have heard that there was a bloody sneaker from Jason or Damien that the prosecutors had in their possession and when they released it to the defense, it was "lost". Can anyone clarify if that is evidence... as one of the victims mother is saying that.

    I am not convinced yet.

    B.C,
    Although Im a WM3 supporter I agree that Devil's Knot isnt the most unbiased book in the world(the author clearly belives theyre innocent and I feel she represents everything in that light).I liked the book (II also reconmend reading the "theyre guilty"book "Blood of Innocents" for the flipside) but wish there were a book that laid out the pros/cons of both sides and let the reader make up their mind.
    To my knowledge the "lost sneaker" was a further distortion from the Pros(to talk about the evidence both sides claim the other side lost,didnt test,tested but lost results etc would take up a thread of its own and with everything that wasnt lost and is still available-being retested or in some cases tested for the first time,its moot until the new results are in).

    The WM3.org site has a link to a WM3 board that has some great threads about evidence questions.The board is an interesting place because it has pro-innocents,pro-guilties,fence sitters ,people who were pro-innocent and are now pro-guilties etc so you get a much bigger view on the case then one (myself included)would imagine.Check it out if you have any questions (theres also links on WM3.org to evidence listings etc)
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,547

    Thumbs up

    thanks messie, I will check it out further. I haven't been on the boards at the wm3 site. I appreciate places that accept everyone including "fence sitters... etc".

    Is there anyother book you recommend or is available regarding this? Where could I find the two documentaries as well? TY
    Carey

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,393
    Quote Originally Posted by blueclouds
    thanks messie, I will check it out further. I haven't been on the boards at the wm3 site. I appreciate places that accept everyone including "fence sitters... etc".

    Is there anyother book you recommend or is available regarding this? Where could I find the two documentaries as well? TY
    Carey
    Carey,

    The first doc. is only on VHS and out of print.I know however that its available for rent at most Blockbusters and used copies are on sale at eBay,Amazon etc(it is going to be re-released on dvd soon though!)
    Doc. #II is on DVD and avail. at Amazon (used copies are as low as $13)

    The other book avail. is "Blood of Innocents" which is a "typical" true crime book (when you see it you'll know what I mean! Black,white & red cover,small paperback,"rush job" quailty)its pro-"guilty" but I still recon. reading it .
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,547
    Could this be at all related to the WM3? Very interesting. Further investigation showed similar MO.

    hummm something to ponder.
    http://www.thesandiegochannel.com/ne...81/detail.html

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,440
    I remember watching the HBO documentary on this case.
    I think I also read a little more about it in the court tv crime library at one time.
    The Byers stepfather is wierd, as was mentioned. Didn't he have something like a brain tumor? Or maybe it was a metal plate in his head? lol I can't remember which but I know there was something about medical problems literally involving his brain.

    The more I've read about this case, the more I think they were innocent. I'm not exactly sure who did it but there were some other suspects. I've never heard of the suspicious man at Bojangles, but that could probably be said of any number of people at the place. lol

    Damien is a little strange and did obviously have some issues, but it seemed like they were exaggerating some things. I mean the focus on him listening to Metallica and I believe they even had Metallica playing in the background at some points during the documentary. I just thought that was kind of ridiculous and archaic. It reminded of when they used to blame music like that for making kids commit suicide, among other things. A lot of people listen to music like that and they are not satanists or going around killing people.

    Speaking of the satanism part, I remember finding that one detective to be extremely odd with the way he was on some mission to stamp out satanism in the town. I don't remember his name because it's been a little while since I read about this. But he was just way too over-zealous about the whole thing for me and seemed to be making it out to be more of a problem in the town than it was, which made me wonder whether he personally was involved in satanism and trying to deflect attention away from himself by being such an advocate 'against' it.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,393
    The below link is to a book written by the D.A's self proclaimed "cult expert".
    Not only does he belive there were satanists running loose in West Memphis but also that the C.I.A is involved in ritual child abuse and brainwashing people into becoming spies!


    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books







    I think I saw a similar story in the Weekly World News once!!!!!!!!!!


    AND this man was a "star witness" for the Pro's???????
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dumpwater, Arkansas..LOL
    Posts
    5,239
    Devil's Knot was one of the books that I read about this case. It convinced me that the West Memphis Police really didn't investigate Mark Byers. And the thing that really convinced me further of his involvement was his wife's death. Things just didn't add up there either. When I have the time, I am going to try to reread the book, I have it around here somewhere.

    Great thread Messiecake, thanks for starting it!
    My posts are to stay at WS, not to be moved to other forums for their members to judge. I know who is moving posts and this is fair warning. If I want my posts moved to other places, I will do it myself.

    The above post is JMO, MOO, MHO, and all other disclaimers. Please leave it here at WS! TIA

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by messiecake
    The below link is to a book written by the D.A's self proclaimed "cult expert".
    Not only does he belive there were satanists running loose in West Memphis but also that the C.I.A is involved in ritual child abuse and brainwashing people into becoming spies!


    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books







    I think I saw a similar story in the Weekly World News once!!!!!!!!!!


    AND this man was a "star witness" for the Pro's???????
    Yep, that's the guy!
    He is definitely a nut. Sounds like a paranoid schizo or something.
    Thanks for the link.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    625
    Hi, had to bump this case up having only recently found out about it. I have just ordered the 'Innocents' book from Ebay and the documentary and intend to 'get down off the fence' and form my opinion when I have looked through them both.

    The thing I can't understand is how could one person keep all three boys there against their will? Surely no matter what they said, once they had seen what had been done to one of them the others or at least one of them would have been able to scarper.

    At the moment, although I don't have the facts to support me until my Ebay goodies arrive my instinct is swaying me towards the fact that the three are indeed guilty. I'm sorry but Damien was a complete weirdo. And Jessie came up with alot of stuff also which is rather strange to admit to. I admit the Byers man does sound very strange especially bearing in mind the removal of teeth incident. I know he was a big fan of corporal punishment. Maybe the bite marks were indeed made by him ( I know biting is not classed as corporal punishment but maybe it was done as some sort of weird punishment) but if they were that doesnt make him the killer just a cruel (step) father.

    As mentioned, I only just found out about this heartbreaking case and would be interested to hear all your views about suspects, convictions etc! Thanks.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    27,155
    Quote Originally Posted by missacorah
    Hi, had to bump this case up having only recently found out about it. I have just ordered the 'Innocents' book from Ebay and the documentary and intend to 'get down off the fence' and form my opinion when I have looked through them both.

    The thing I can't understand is how could one person keep all three boys there against their will? Surely no matter what they said, once they had seen what had been done to one of them the others or at least one of them would have been able to scarper.

    At the moment, although I don't have the facts to support me until my Ebay goodies arrive my instinct is swaying me towards the fact that the three are indeed guilty. I'm sorry but Damien was a complete weirdo. And Jessie came up with alot of stuff also which is rather strange to admit to. I admit the Byers man does sound very strange especially bearing in mind the removal of teeth incident. I know he was a big fan of corporal punishment. Maybe the bite marks were indeed made by him ( I know biting is not classed as corporal punishment but maybe it was done as some sort of weird punishment) but if they were that doesnt make him the killer just a cruel (step) father.

    As mentioned, I only just found out about this heartbreaking case and would be interested to hear all your views about suspects, convictions etc! Thanks.

    Its been a while since I studied the case, but I'll be happy to try and remember what I can. I've got the book and I think one of the documentaries, so I may need to refresh my memory, but I believe they're guilty too. A while ago, I found Damien's psychological records on the internet and they were pretty interesting. The dude's a wack job for sure. I have nothing against heavy metal music (rather like it actually) and nothing against "black" clothing and the like. I don't think it helped their cause at all, but I don't think it got them convicted either.

    Welcome!!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    625
    Thanks - would be interested to hear what you remember. This case has really stuck in my head - one of the little boys looks very similar to my own son. It's a really sickening case.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •