West Memphis 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

VespaElf

Little Miss Showcase(runner-up)
Reaction score
Im ,after LP and I bantering about this in another thread,starting this to discuss the WM3 case

I ,after alot of research,belive this is one of the biggest miscarriages of justice (and Im usually very Pro LE/Prosuction ) but am open to and interested in hearing opposing views on this case.

This controversial case has become quite a "hot" topic as the 3 accused are down to their final appeals as well as alot of celebrities drawing attention to the case, a fictional WM3 movie due out this summer as well as a 3rd installment of the HBO produced "Paradise Lost" documentry series about the WM3.

I belive that even if you doubt their innocence there is just too much evidence to ignore and this case MUST be reopened,reexamined and the "boys" freed.

For anyone who hasn't seen Paradise Lost I or II, I recommend trying to find them. Ebay is a good place to look. They are documentaries about this case and contain the real players. One of the murdered boys, whose name I believe was Christopher Byers, has a very suspicious father, and at first I was pretty sure they were going to find he might have been involved in some way. However, it was determined that it would have been almost impossible for one person to have killed all three boys. There was also a suspicious man at a restaurant, I believe it was the "Bojangles" restaurant.

Its been a LONG time since I discussed this case, so my memory is going to need to be seriously refreshed. However, I do remember reading Damien's psychiatric records and after watching everything I could about the case, reading about three dozen websites and at least one paperback book, I think the three are guilty.

Yes Steven Byers (Christopher Byers,one of the victims' Step-Father) is one VERY strange man and one of the biggest reasons that got me off the fence and onto the "Theyre innocent" side.

The bite marks on Christophers body do not match Jessie,Damian or Jason (the WM3).
After this information was released Steven Byers had all of his teeth removed(and although this was confirmed by a Dentist Mr.Byers' continues to tell different accounts of why he has no teeth).
Although this by far not the only reason Steven Myers is strange and not the only incident in/around this case that got me looking at it differently .

Paradise Lost 1 & 2 are /should be at most Blockbusters as well.
I also reconmend reading the pro-inocence book "Devil's Knot" as well as the Pro-guilty "Blood of Innocents"

Although it contains a wealth of information the WM3.org site is quite biased and Im not aware of any "guilty" Wm3 sites.............if anyone knows of any-let me know!
Id like it ,if you could LP ,to refresh yourself on the case as Im interested in discussing this with you.{EDIT: Just caught the link LP,thanks!}

LP-where did you read Damien's psych. records? Id be quite interested in that!!

Here's what I found at the link about the "bite mark."

Similarly, the bite mark issue raised in one of the films was dealt with badly, both in the film and in this book. If there truly was an issue in which a bite mark could have exonerated the defendants, an exhumation could have been ordered to bring up the body and provide both sides with means for careful examination. As it stands, it appears to have been merely a side issue raised by a man with no training in forensic pathology and it was quickly dispensed with in the courtroom.

As for the medical records - damn good question. We had a heavy duty discussion going on in another forum and I can't find it. Someone actually copied them and posted them after a court order forced them to turn them over. I'll keep looking though!

LP Moderator said:
Here's what I found at the link about the "bite mark."

Similarly, the bite mark issue raised in one of the films was dealt with badly, both in the film and in this book. If there truly was an issue in which a bite mark could have exonerated the defendants, an exhumation could have been ordered to bring up the body and provide both sides with means for careful examination. As it stands, it appears to have been merely a side issue raised by a man with no training in forensic pathology and it was quickly dispensed with in the courtroom.

As for the medical records - damn good question. We had a heavy duty discussion going on in another forum and I can't find it. Someone actually copied them and posted them after a court order forced them to turn them over. I'll keep looking though!

As far as I know I have been told the method used r/e the bite marks is one commonly used in court proceedings and although not ideal as yes the actual bite marks were not tested(just an impression) it is still being upheld by the WM3 defense (to my knowledge).

Please if you do come across the records-link them! Id love to take a peek!

Also the WM3 site has a great detailing of the all evidence for/against.
I know you're firmly "against" but as for study in regards to the case its informative.

messiecake said:
As far as I know I have been told the method used r/e the bite marks is one commonly used in court proceedings and although not ideal as yes the actual bite marks were not tested(just an impression) it is still being upheld by the WM3 defense (to my knowledge).

Please if you do come across the records-link them! Id love to take a peek!

Also the WM3 site has a great detailing of the all evidence for/against.
I know you're firmly "against" but as for study in regards to the case its informative.

Well I believe something may have come to light that made this point either moot or close to it. If I have any free time, I'll search again for those records. It was a long while ago and I'm pretty busy these days with Peterson!!

I also followed the HBO Paradise Lost documentaries. Chris Byers' dad was a WHACK job thats for sure. That whole case has me mystified... I am leaing twoard innocent after the documentaries were released, but I cannot understand how something like bite marks that could exhonerate the WM3 would not be reintroduced into court. Thanks for that link, I have been wanting to get up to speed on this and haven't been to the WM3 site in a long time.

I just ordered Devils Knot. This is really intruiging me. How sad if these poor boys are innocent... terribly sad for all.

blueclouds said:
I just ordered Devils Knot. This is really intruiging me. How sad if these poor boys are innocent... terribly sad for all.

That's it. That's the book I have started to read. Trouble is I can't find it. That's why I couldn't remember the name. Must be under a bed.

Damien is a strange egg no doubt. However the evidence, what I have read about so far, is very weak. Extremely weak.

At the very least I hope they take Damien off of death row. Can't undo that one if the state iswrong.

Ok,after alot of searching I found Damien's records(they are not prison psych. records but records taken during a brief stay he had at a Charter Clinic way before the murders at Robin Hood Hills).

Interesting reading(although I knew Damien had problems prior to this) but it still doesn't change how I feel about the WM3's guilt.

If anyone is interested I can post the links (they are in a thread about the WM3 on another message board that deals with criminal cases)

i am not familiar with this case, but now really want to read this book...it sounds most intriguing.

Ok I'm a 3rd way through my book (Devils Knot) and I cannot say with 100% that these kids are innocent. What I do think is there is credible evidence against Byers definitely... but I wouldn't pass up Damien as a DEFINITE suspect as well. I think the other two boys are innocent... This author has not done them justice IMO at all. She is too strong with swaying her readers. Yet when she starts writing, she promised a unbiased version. Disappointed in that. She "skims" over very lightly on prosecutors evidence and STRONGLY DETAILS the potential of innocence. One cannot deny that there IS evidence pointing to Damien to a small degree and the things he said to the victims families during the trial, OMG. Also, while I have not come across it in the book, I have heard that there was a bloody sneaker from Jason or Damien that the prosecutors had in their possession and when they released it to the defense, it was "lost". Can anyone clarify if that is evidence... as one of the victims mother is saying that.

I am not convinced yet.

blueclouds said:
Ok I'm a 3rd way through my book (Devils Knot) and I cannot say with 100% that these kids are innocent. What I do think is there is credible evidence against Byers definitely... but I wouldn't pass up Damien as a DEFINITE suspect as well. I think the other two boys are innocent... This author has not done them justice IMO at all. She is too strong with swaying her readers. Yet when she starts writing, she promised a unbiased version. Disappointed in that. She "skims" over very lightly on prosecutors evidence and STRONGLY DETAILS the potential of innocence. One cannot deny that there IS evidence pointing to Damien to a small degree and the things he said to the victims families during the trial, OMG. Also, while I have not come across it in the book, I have heard that there was a bloody sneaker from Jason or Damien that the prosecutors had in their possession and when they released it to the defense, it was "lost". Can anyone clarify if that is evidence... as one of the victims mother is saying that.

I am not convinced yet.

B.C,
Although Im a WM3 supporter I agree that Devil's Knot isnt the most unbiased book in the world(the author clearly belives theyre innocent and I feel she represents everything in that light).I liked the book (II also reconmend reading the "theyre guilty"book "Blood of Innocents" for the flipside) but wish there were a book that laid out the pros/cons of both sides and let the reader make up their mind.
To my knowledge the "lost sneaker" was a further distortion from the Pros(to talk about the evidence both sides claim the other side lost,didnt test,tested but lost results etc would take up a thread of its own and with everything that wasnt lost and is still available-being retested or in some cases tested for the first time,its moot until the new results are in).

The WM3.org site has a link to a WM3 board that has some great threads about evidence questions.The board is an interesting place because it has pro-innocents,pro-guilties,fence sitters ,people who were pro-innocent and are now pro-guilties etc so you get a much bigger view on the case then one (myself included)would imagine.Check it out if you have any questions (theres also links on WM3.org to evidence listings etc)

thanks messie, I will check it out further. I haven't been on the boards at the wm3 site. I appreciate places that accept everyone including "fence sitters... etc".

Is there anyother book you recommend or is available regarding this? Where could I find the two documentaries as well? TY
Carey

blueclouds said:
thanks messie, I will check it out further. I haven't been on the boards at the wm3 site. I appreciate places that accept everyone including "fence sitters... etc".

Is there anyother book you recommend or is available regarding this? Where could I find the two documentaries as well? TY
Carey

Carey,

The first doc. is only on VHS and out of print.I know however that its available for rent at most Blockbusters and used copies are on sale at eBay,Amazon etc(it is going to be re-released on dvd soon though!)
Doc. #II is on DVD and avail. at Amazon (used copies are as low as $13)

The other book avail. is "Blood of Innocents" which is a "typical" true crime book (when you see it you'll know what I mean! Black,white & red cover,small paperback,"rush job" quailty)its pro-"guilty" but I still recon. reading it .

I remember watching the HBO documentary on this case.
I think I also read a little more about it in the court tv crime library at one time.
The Byers stepfather is wierd, as was mentioned. Didn't he have something like a brain tumor? Or maybe it was a metal plate in his head? lol I can't remember which but I know there was something about medical problems literally involving his brain.

The more I've read about this case, the more I think they were innocent. I'm not exactly sure who did it but there were some other suspects. I've never heard of the suspicious man at Bojangles, but that could probably be said of any number of people at the place. lol

Damien is a little strange and did obviously have some issues, but it seemed like they were exaggerating some things. I mean the focus on him listening to Metallica and I believe they even had Metallica playing in the background at some points during the documentary. I just thought that was kind of ridiculous and archaic. It reminded of when they used to blame music like that for making kids commit suicide, among other things. A lot of people listen to music like that and they are not satanists or going around killing people. :innocent:

Speaking of the satanism part, I remember finding that one detective to be extremely odd with the way he was on some mission to stamp out satanism in the town. I don't remember his name because it's been a little while since I read about this. But he was just way too over-zealous about the whole thing for me and seemed to be making it out to be more of a problem in the town than it was, which made me wonder whether he personally was involved in satanism and trying to deflect attention away from himself by being such an advocate 'against' it.

The below link is to a book written by the D.A's self proclaimed "cult expert".
Not only does he belive there were satanists running loose in West Memphis but also that the C.I.A is involved in ritual child abuse and brainwashing people into becoming spies!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/104-7664098-8123950?v=glance&s=books

:doh:

I think I saw a similar story in the Weekly World News once!!!!!!!!!!

AND this man was a "star witness" for the Pro's???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni