Minors in Rhode Island can be strippers/prostitutes

So Rhode Island is condoning sexual exploitation of minors? That is crazy!

We just heard this too. What the heck is wrong with people? 16 year old strippers and hookers????

As long as the prostitution is inside, no street walking and the girls are home by 11:30 on a school night.

OK. I think it is time for a new cultural revolution. These are baby women and we are allowing them to be used for purient interests. Where is the women's movement?

These young girls who strip are going to be exposed to exploitation by older male customers, drugs, and maybe even talked into giving sexual favors on the side. Totally disgusting.

So who is going to take care of the babies that come forth from these teen prostitutes?

I doubt they condone it, I would imagine nobody ever thought it would be an issue.

A while back some sicko was caught having sex with a dead deer. The state had laws against having sex with a dead person, or with a live animal, but nothing about having sex with a dead animal. I wouldn't have thought to pass a law against it until I read that someone did it. Words fail me.

Don't attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance.

RI is not, in any way, shape, or form, condoning minors working in strip joints or teen prostitution. As you share, , who knew that the law written protecting teen work laws would work to the advantage of some establishments. It's called a "loophole". Also, I agree with you that when the law was written, I am positive no one ever thought that this type a thing would be a problem. RI is not the only state having to address this issue as the news article sites in this story.

Now that the loophole is obvious to the public, I'm *assuming* they will simply push for a change in the statute.

Now that the loophole is obvious to the public, I'm *assuming* they will simply push for a change in the statute.

Obviously. I wouldn't think the state government would do anything else. No town, city, or state would ever say, "Yeah, this is good stuff for our underage teens to be doing as long as they have their working papers if they are under 16 years of age".

I'm kinda surprised that anyone in this day and age would actually believe that any state would think this was a good thing. Who knew? Who reviews the laws when the numbers are small and not noticed being abused? It takes time for red flags and, thankfully, that happened. The state of RI is not overrun with teen pole dancers and prostitutes nor has the blessing for anyone who does work the bars or streets under the age of 18 especially after 11 pm. :rolleyes:

It happened here as well as in several other states. Old laws that must be rewritten where businesses have taken advantage of them and young teens think it's nothing, but quick money. Not their fault and that is what businesses count on. The dollar sign in these teens eyes....

i'm sure RI doesn't condone this and i bet many of the other states are going to be checking their laws. sometimes the people that make the laws at the time don't have a problem such as minor working in strip clubs so when the laws were made up the minors weren't included.

just like there are some stupid laws on the book such as in NY you can not kiss on an elevator, there are laws that need to be updated.

They better. And also add that any "men" who knowingly watch 16 year old strippers should have their equipment removed with a rusty knife.

I have one, tin, hanging outside in the humidity. Give it just several days. It'll be ready....

i'm sure RI doesn't condone this and i bet many of the other states are going to be checking their laws. sometimes the people that make the laws at the time don't have a problem such as minor working in strip clubs so when the laws were made up the minors weren't included.

just like there are some stupid laws on the book such as in NY you can not kiss on an elevator, there are laws that need to be updated.

Awww, I always liked to kiss on the elevator. Bummer.... I think I can do at least that much in RI! :)

I'm still having problems digesting the fact that there was a 12 y/o dancing at a club in Texas. Who would hire a girl that young?? I know some girls mature young, but 12? C'mon! Why not just hang out a shingle "Pedophiles 'R Us?" That's crazy.

Okay, so living in Rhode Island naturally this is all over the news here.
My hubby actually worked at this strip club at the door for a few months in the beginning of the year for some extra quick cash.

Obviously RI does not condone this. This club, called Cheaters... is a hot pink buidling in one of the seediest parts of town. Its the type of club that when I've gone there to pick up/drop off hubby I would laugh and say "Do men pay these women to put their clothes back on?!?!" Yeah, nasty. On top of it all, its well known that alot of things happen in the private rooms that aren't necessarily supposed to go on back there... Its nasty. And FYI: The strip club she worked at is a NUDE strip club.
But the law states that a person under the age of 18 must have a work permit to work in the state. I remember when I started working I was 15 and I needed not only my parents signature, but also my school's signature... on a permit that listed the place where I would be employed. (It was a grocery store... not a strip club). The girl was a 16 year old runaway from Boston. I am assuming that she had a fake ID. If she was a runaway, she wouldn't be able to get a work permit in Rhode Island.

But yes, its a loophole. The law states the things that a minor cannot do. I guess that becoming a stripper isn't listed on that list, because lets face it... If done in a legal way, then the parents, school and place of employment all have to sign this work permit. The girl obviously lied about her age, and had a fake ID... and being the nasty place that Cheaters is... they hired her. Hell, one of the girls that I grew up with stripped at Cheaters as soon as she turned 18, her and her mother both worked there... That was their gig... Mommy Dearest.
I doubt that the guys going to this club knew they were getting a lappy from a 16 year old girl. Not their fault. You can't get into the club unless your 21.

They are working to make changes to this loophole, hopefully with the national attention... other states will look into the same thing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back