1195 users online (221 members and 974 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Copyright A Person's Name

I Would Like To Find Examples Of Individuals That Copyright Names.

Russell Dean Landers, Montana Freemen Copyrighted His Name:

US v. Landers (10th Cir, May 5, 2009) docket nr. 08-6105, to be published in F.3d

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/...th/086105p.pdf

http://www.suijurisclub.net/court/40...-good-one.html

This Book Says A Personal Name Can Not Be Copyrighted Intellectual Property:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZAT...sult&resnum=31

Mr. Ghislain Breton:

They had used his copyrighted name without permission every time they wrote him about legal costs, criminal charges or child support payments. The strategy - dubbed "paper terrorism"- didn't hold up in court, and Breton is in jail on charges of obstructing justice, improper influence and witness tampering.

http://www.cmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dl...39/1001/NEWS01

Last edited by JBean; 07-23-2009 at 09:56 AM.

Richard Robards:

A man suspected of killing a Clearwater couple tried to file a $100-million lawsuit against the state of Florida for copyright infringement.

Richard Robards is in jail awaiting trial for the 2006 murder of Frank and Linda DeLuca.

Police say that Robards, a former bodybuilder, killed the DeLucas, stole the couple's safe full of cash, then tried setting their home on fire to cover his tracks.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...25/488923.html

Shane A. Massey:

He urged banks to refuse to comply with IRS summonses and claimed he had copyrighted his name and was owed $500,000 by anyone who used his name without permission - including IRS agents and federal prosecutors.

http://www.investmentnews.com/articl.../SUB/310060711

Daniel:

For police to write his name down, Daniel said that they must pay a user's fee of $500,000 each time it is used.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/2612793/detail.html

The Billings' family attorney can put whatever spin she wants on this allegation, but copyrighting the children's names in order to "protect" them is just loony.

NorthEscambia.com hits back pretty hard at the family lawyer's attempt to brush off the copyright fiasco.
    http://www.northescambia.com/?p=9696

Did the Anthony family do this for CAYLEE?
    so people couldn't make the dolls and T shirts without
    their knowlege?

Do movie stars do this to profit from their selling name on things???
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

Quote Originally Posted by passionflower View Post
    Did the Anthony family do this for CAYLEE?
    so people couldn't make the dolls and T shirts without
    their knowlege?

Do movie stars do this to profit from their selling name on things???
    the examples you provide weren't done to "protect privacy". These examples provided were done to keep people from making money off the names.

The atty said it was done to protect privacy. How does the copyright protect privacy when the response to correspondence from the state or any govie agency is an invoice for using the name?

IMO, copyrighting is all about money - trying to get it or not pay it. I think the better & the best way to protect the privacy of the children was to keep their story out of the paper and tv.
    Last edited by RubberNecker; 07-23-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Wasn't the Billings family interviewed for TV a few years ago? I have tried to find it, but the only information that comes up is news feeds regarding their murders. Old stuff must be buried somewhere.

Could this have provoked BB in to trying to copyright the children's names? It's still beyond goofy and causes me pause as to why anyone would want to do that save for making a buck.
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryLife View Post
    Wasn't the Billings family interviewed for TV a few years ago? I have tried to find it, but the only information that comes up is news feeds regarding their murders. Old stuff must be buried somewhere.

Could this have provoked BB in to trying to copyright the children's names? It's still beyond goofy and causes me pause as to why anyone would want to do that save for making a buck.
    they were part of a WEAR 'Angels' segment but they may have taken the link down or it's possible it wasn't put up because putting up those video links is something they just recently starting doing.

Attorney Spencer said in her press conference that the Billings were eligible for state/federal aid for the children but did not accept it. I assume that if you accept the aid, you also must accept state/federal oversight. The Billings also only did private adoptions. Again, staying away from state agencies. Perhaps this copyright ploy was just one more way to keep DCF or whatever agency out of the picture. You know, if every time they write me a letter about one of the children they'll have to pay me a whopping fee, maybe they won't write me any more. Or something along those lines. Misguided, yes, but...

Quote Originally Posted by pbee View Post
    Attorney Spencer said in her press conference that the Billings were eligible for state/federal aid for the children but did not accept it. I assume that if you accept the aid, you also must accept state/federal oversight. The Billings also only did private adoptions. Again, staying away from state agencies. Perhaps this copyright ploy was just one more way to keep DCF or whatever agency out of the picture. You know, if every time they write me a letter about one of the children they'll have to pay me a whopping fee, maybe they won't write me any more. Or something along those lines. Misguided, yes, but...
    yes, I am disabiled and every 6 months there are forms to fill out and the government watches into all of this. Mine is very legit but if you have something to hide, you sure don't want the government snooping into your life!!!!

How did the family get so rich in so little time? 18 years ago, it seems BB left after a divorse with $2,000 and worked into a million aire???
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

Quote Originally Posted by RubberNecker View Post
    they were part of a WEAR 'Angels' segment but they may have taken the link down or it's possible it wasn't put up because putting up those video links is something they just recently starting doing.
    Thank you, RN. Do you possibly remember how long ago that was?
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast