1371 users online (259 members and 1112 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37
  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13,034
    I wanted to bring this back up and although this isn't a timeline like the prior posts in this thread, I thought it was important to go back and look at media reports. I'm reading through the media thread in chronological and will be copying and pasting snippets.

    Police search for 10-year-old McCleary girl
    05:39 PM PDT on Saturday, June 27, 2009
    Lindsey J. Baum was last seen at roughly 9:15 p.m. on Maple Street. She was walking home from a friend's house, and the distance she had to go was only about four blocks.Small town baffled, alarmed at 10-year-old girl's disappearance
    Story Published: Jun 27, 2009 at 12:16 PM PDT
    Her mother reported her missing at 10:50 p.m. And as the hours drag by with no sign of her, the girl's family fears she may have been taken by a stranger.Search teams have been out looking for the girl, using bloodhounds. Sheriff's deputies, meanwhile, are calling people who live in the neighborhood and also are going door to door to see if anyone heard or saw anything. Lindsey's mother admits the 10-year old had been fighting with her brother in the moments before she was last seen, and that Lindsey is still upset about her parent's recent divorce. But with every passing hour, there are mounting worries that the friendly girl who will talk with anybody is in serious trouble.


    McCleary girl Missing
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:57 PM PDT
    Baum’s mother called the McCleary Police Department at 10:50 p.m., having waited in case her daughter had run into friends or otherwise dawdled, Patrick said.


    FBI joins search for missing 10-year-old girl
    Story Published: Jun 28, 2009 at 10:27 AM PD
    She says Lindsey argued with her brother on her way to a friend's house Friday night. She talked to her friend for a bit, then started for home as darkness fell. The friend's father, Scott Williams, said he asked Lindsey to go home before it got too dark. "She was here 10, 15 minutes, and then, you know, we said, 'You should probably get going before it gets dark,' and that was the last we heard of her," he said.
    Witnesses say Lindsey seemed normal as she headed out around 9:15. Another friend even walked her part of the way, but Lindsey never showed up at her home.

    FBI joins hunt for missing Washington girl
    Published: June 29, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    Lindsey was last seen Friday night when she left a friend's house in the small town of McCleary, located on the coast southwest of Seattle, for what should have been a 10-minute walk. Bloodhounds failed to pick up any scent of the child along the route.


    National Guard chopper joins search for missing girl
    Story Published: Jun 29, 2009 at 7:16 AM PDT
    A wide-ranging search was launched early Saturday in the town and the surrounding forests. The town was criss-crossed three times, but not a trace of Lindsey has been found. Even bloodhounds failed to pick up her scent. "We searched all of the outlying area of the logging roads... and up the highway, and along the railroad tracks," said volunteer Stephanie Ross. Pimentel said it's strange that nobody saw anything unusual.

    Search for girl expands
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:42 PM PDT
    Search dogs were being used this morning in marshy areas surrounding McCleary, and other areas that have been more difficult to traverse during the past two days of intense searching. A National Guard helicopter was to arrive this morning to search the area. And on Sunday, FBI agents were stopping literally every car coming in and out of town, hoping to find a lead. Tami Koethe, a cashier at a neighborhood Shell Station, said local law enforcement reviewed video as part of the search.

    Search ramps up for McCleary girl
    10:19 PM PDT on Tuesday, June 30, 2009
    Since investigators have not found any evidence to suggest what happened to Lindsey, they wanted to check her last known whereabouts thoroughly. Instead of kids playing in Jim Mullin's creek, search dogs were back on his property. It's the sixth time his place has been searched. Baum says she volunteered to take a polygraph late today. She wanted to clear herself, although police tell us she is not a suspect. "I don't want people saying oh maybe the mom got mad at her and stashed her and now saying she ran away, I don't want anything like that," says Baum. "I want everyone to know my daughter is missing.


    Mother Believes Missing Daughter Was Abducted
    Posted: 7:32 am PDT June 30, 2009
    Investigators monitored Lindsey Baum’s MySpace page for any clues but said the account has been inactive since she vanished and she left no posts indicating she was planning to leave. "There was nothing that indicated any preplanned intention for her to run away or go anywhere," said Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Rick Scott. Searching the Wildcat Creeks on Monday, the Thurston County Sheriff's Office dive team didn’t find any signs of the missing girl. Other officers took the contents out of Dumpsters making sure nothing goes unsearched.


    CANS Alert Issued for 10 Year Old Washington Girl
    Code Amber News Service (CANS) issued this Missing Endangered person Alert after the girl went missing on Friday evening (06-26) while walking home from a friends house in McCleary Washington. McCleary is a small town of about 1,500 residents and is about 15 miles west of Olympia. There is no evidence of foul play in this case but the FBI is joining the investigation and search today (Monday 06-29). The FBI will also be bringing in additional law enforcement personnel to help in the investigation and search. No Amber Alert has been issued in this case


    Search for missing girl includes aircraft, door-to-door
    MCCLEARY: No leads days after 10-year-old vanished
    Published June 30, 2009
    The last person to see Lindsey was a resident driving through town who saw her walking on Maple Street between Fifth and Sixth streets around 9:15 p.m. – about the halfway point between the two homes, Scott said. Investigators have reviewed surveillance video from the downtown Shell Station that Lindsey would have walked by on the way to Mommsen Road, but it turned up nothing, Scott said. Detectives are waiting for additional video surveillance from local businesses. Kempen said her daughter Michaela had spent Friday with Lindsey and a group of other girls, swimming at a friend’s pool before they returned to the home on Maple Street. Linda Cunningham, owner of McCleary Video, said she remembers Lindsey coming into her store with a group of friends to rent movies around 8:15 Friday night. “They were all laughing and joking and having a good time.” Investigators have taken Lindsey’s computer into evidence, Scott added. Police have checked her MySpace page and the phone numbers she dialed and received on her cell phone without finding any new leads, he said.


    Where is Lindsey Baum? Police, FBI Search for 10-Year-Old
    Girl's Mother Frantic After Lindsey Never Made it Home From a Friend's House
    June 30, 2009
    Baum said she last saw her daughter when Lindsey, along with her 12-year-old brother, Josh, headed out to Lindsey's friend's house in hopes she could get permission to spend the night at the Baum's house.
    Baum said her children began squabbling over the use of Josh's bike on the way there and were stopped by a family friend who sent Josh home to end the argument. Lindsey continued on to her friend's house. When Lindsey's friend found out she couldn't stay the night, Lindsey headed for home around 9:30 p.m.

    She began calling Lindsey's cell phone, only to find that her daughter had left it plugged into the charger. Initially thinking that her daughter must have met up with friends in the neighborhood, Baum set out on foot to find her daughter. But there was no sign of her. Eventually, her friend's parents joined the search by car. Baum even let her daughter's beloved German shepherd Kadence off its leash in hopes the dog would help find her. Finally, around 10:45 p.m., Baum said she called the police. Scott said witnesses were able to put Lindsey within a couple of blocks of her house just after 9:30 p.m. The last person reported to have seen her, he said, was a neighbor on her way to work. Scott said that there were a few businesses located just off the street Lindsey would have used to get home, and while the little girl did not appear in any of the videos, police have received clues about who was in the area at the time she disappeared.

    McCleary’s still searching
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:49 AM PDT
    Lindsey was leaving a friend’s house about four blocks away between 9 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Friday, traveling from Maple Street to Mommsen Road. Scott said a neighbor spotted her “two-thirds of the way home,” still on Maple Street. “We have her coming back from the residence alone consistent with the friend and friend’s family,” Scott said. “We cannot put her to the main street here or to the street in front of her house. This wasn’t somebody who said she saw someone who looks like (Lindsey) or might have been; she was very confident it was Lindsey because she knew her and was on her way to work.”

    “She wasn’t intentionally supposed to be alone,” Melissa Baum said. “She was with a friend and was supposed to come back together. And it was a fluke because normally she would have her cell phone with her. She takes her cell phone everywhere.” But the cell phone battery was dead and she plugged it in five minutes before leaving.


    The last person to see Lindsey was a resident driving through town who saw her walking on Maple Street between Fifth and Sixth streets around 9:15 p.m. – about the halfway point between the two homes, Scott said. People said light was waning but the sun hadn’t gone down.
    Linda Cunningham, owner of McCleary Video, said she remembers Lindsey coming into her store with a group of friends to rent movies around 8:15 Friday night. “They were all laughing and joking and having a good time.

    Expert: Missing girl likely went with someone she knew
    09:58 PM PDT on Wednesday, July 1, 2009
    "Based on the information I have, it’s someone she possibly knows or is in the area, not outside the area," said Henry Schmidt, with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Investigators say both Lindsey's mom and the father of the friend at the home where Lindsey had just left have both voluntarily taken - and passed - polygraph tests, and they are not considered suspects.



    She’s no runaway, family says
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:13 PM PDT
    Her family is holding out hope for her return, especially by her 11th birthday, which is next Tuesday.
    Melissa Baum said Lindsey’s birthday wish was for a digital camera so she could upload pictures to her computer. She didn’t spend much time watching television but she loved using the computer, including the popular social networking site MySpace and hanging with her friends, according to her family. MySpace.com lists two Lindsey Baums in McCleary with MySpace pages. One, with a picture of Lindsey’s pet German Shepherd on the page, is marked “private.” It lists her mood as “adored” and the name of her account as “DISTURBED.” But it gives no other public information.

    A second MySpace account is more public. Her nickname there is TWILIGHT FREAK. She loved the popular “Twilight” series of books, love stories about teen-age vampires. And Stephen King novels. And S.E Hinton, who wrote “The Outsiders.” Cryptically, within two hours of creating this second MySpace account in May, Baum allegedly wrote: “I’ve been getting a lot of nightmares lately and I have this bad feeling that something bad is gonna happen.” “Lindsey was having a hard time this school year,” Melissa Baum said. “This was not a good year for her — with the divorce and everything.”

    Searchers “not going anywhere”
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:13 PM PDT
    But Scott said he feels the best course of action instead of blind searching is to use “a smaller group that will be directed to areas that need to be searched again because of a tip or a lead.” Plus, searchers will also head down private logging roads that have been locked and forest lands located within 3 to 5 miles of McCleary. The search has also expanded to parts of Thurston and Mason counties. A video camera that can detect heat couldn’t be used because the ground was emanating too much heat. Unfortunately, Scott said the camera can’t be used today because of the same conditions.
    Two Grays Harbor Sheriff’s Officials worked endlessly Wednesday sorting through one-third of McCleary’s garbage, hoping to find a clue that could lead to Lindsey. “We're looking for any signs of evidence of the missing girl. We're looking for clothing Lindsey may have been wearing," said Chief Deputy Dave Pimentel. “And of course the un-talkable."

    She would have walked down Maple and would have had to cross 3rd Street, which is a main road in the town and has a crosswalk. At that point she would have had a short walk through a a commercial area, including a nearby bus station and a gas station. She would have had to cross the larger street, then back onto a residential street without a sidewalk and head down to her house at the 300 block of Mommsen Street, a dead-end residential neighborhood within view of the police station. But a minute or two before she crossed 3rd Street, she disappeared. A neighbor spotted her about two-thirds of the way home, Scott said.


    Hundreds gather for Baum vigil
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:13 PM PDT
    The friend who last saw Lindsey also addressed the crowd. She said the girls asked if Lindsey could spend the night at her house, but when her parents said no, the girls parted. “I saw her at the end of Maple (Street),” the girl said. “I always think if my mom and me would’ve done something different this wouldn’t have happened.”

    FBI: Stranger not likely behind girl's disappearance
    Story Published: Jul 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM PD
    On Wednesday a second person came forward to report having seen Lindsey Baum on Friday night as she walked home along Maple Street from a friend's house. Experts with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children say if the girl was abducted, it most likely wasn't by a stranger who was hiding in the bushes. "From what knowledge we have and the information that I have that it's someone that she possibly knows, somebody that is in the area," said Henry Schmidt with the organization.

    The missing girl's mother, who wanted avoid becoming the center of the investigation, voluntarily took a polygraph test. The father of the girl's best friend, Scott Williams, also volunteered to take the test. "At their requests polygraphs were given to them. They passed those polygraphs. We're comfortable with the information they've shared with us and comfortable with the timeline they've explained," said Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Rick Scott.


    Focus now on abduction
    Authorities ask people to report odd behavior
    “We are starting to look at this as more of a criminal investigation,” Grays Harbor Undersheriff Rick Scott said. “The possibility that someone has facilitated her disappearance is becoming greater as the hours tick on.” “I don’t know anything more than I knew Saturday afternoon,” he said, “but I’m not willing to admit that I know anything less.”

    Scott said bloodhounds traced the route Lindsey took early on from the friend’s house to her own home, but didn’t find any scent. And in places where Lindsey once played — parks and by the creek — Lindsey’s scent has been vanishing. The loss of scent could be a combination of factors — the heat on the sidewalk could have dissipated it for instance, he said.

    Scott said a second person came forward Tuesday with a confirmed sighting of Baum from Friday night in the same area along Maple Street near Fifth Street. Scott said the search would have to continue to expand beyond the city limits, targeting logging roads or other remote areas farther afield. But he vowed it would go on as long as necessary




    Last edited by Knox; 11-09-2009 at 06:20 PM.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13,034
    "You can't imagine the guilt"
    Friday, July 3, 2009 11:12 AM PDT
    Interviews with neighbors have turned up few leads, he added, and although Baum’s computer has been sent in for forensic testing, there is no guarantee that it will give detectives any information to help them find her. Indeed, Kampen agreed that everyone who was with Lindsey the night she disappeared has already been through enough that they don’t need false information or criticism. Calling herself a glutton for punishment, Kampen has been on the Internet, in the chat rooms, where she said she has read plenty of jeremiads about her and her friends’ parenting skills.

    Kampen said she has replayed that Friday evening in her head over and over. So has her daughter, Michaela, 10, who spent the day swimming with Lindsey. They walked together with Josh Baum, 13, to the Kampen house. But halfway there, Michaela said they teased Josh, getting under his skin enough so he turned around and couldn’t walk back with Lindsey. That’s something he now regrets deeply, Kampen said.

    “Waiting for a call of hope
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 1:13 AM PDT
    “We’ve just been sitting by the phone, waiting for a call of hope,” said Melissa McCann, a close family friend of the Baums. Late this week, investigators had sent Baum’s computer in for forensic testing. Scott said investigators had been able to gather some preliminary information, but it had “yielded nothing.”



  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    4,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post

    Kampen said she has replayed that Friday evening in her head over and over. So has her daughter, Michaela, 10, who spent the day swimming with Lindsey. They walked together with Josh Baum, 13, to the Kampen house. But halfway there, Michaela said they teased Josh, getting under his skin enough so he turned around and couldn’t walk back with Lindsey. That’s something he now regrets deeply, Kampen said.
    This is interesting because the story we have been hearing is that they had an argument and someone sent Josh home.
    Last edited by Jules71; 11-09-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: added bold

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13,034
    Why I wanted to bring some of the early media reports with the dates published back to the front.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    426

    Go back to the beginning...

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    Why I wanted to bring some of the early media reports with the dates published back to the front.
    ~~~
    Over the past couple of weeks my intuition has been saying to me:

    "Go back to the beginning, it's right under your nose."

    Thanks Knox, for the recap of early media reports.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13,034
    Quote Originally Posted by CorallaroC View Post
    ~~~
    Over the past couple of weeks my intuition has been saying to me:

    "Go back to the beginning, it's right under your nose."

    Thanks Knox, for the recap of early media reports.
    I totally agree CorallaroC! What baffles me is how the basic facts of those last hours on June 26th have changed. I understand how hours and even a day or two after Lindsey vanished, the facts could change slightly. The last people to spend time with Lindsey were children. When kids tell a story, sometimes an adult will need to interpret or clarify certain things so that said story makes sense, that is reasonable.

    What I found very interesting is MB's story really did not vary much; But frequently, when KK was quoted in the media or posted on one of many forums she frequented, the facts she stated were different. In my mind if you're telling the truth and stating facts, you don't have to remember what you said to who or when. I'm not necessarily saying that I think she is involved with Lindsey's disappearance, but she must have things in her life that she is trying to cover up. Things that LE or DSS would not find suitable in a home that has children.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    99

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    I totally agree CorallaroC! What baffles me is how the basic facts of those last hours on June 26th have changed. I understand how hours and even a day or two after Lindsey vanished, the facts could change slightly. The last people to spend time with Lindsey were children. When kids tell a story, sometimes an adult will need to interpret or clarify certain things so that said story makes sense, that is reasonable.

    What I found very interesting is MB's story really did not vary much; But frequently, when KK was quoted in the media or posted on one of many forums she frequented, the facts she stated were different. In my mind if you're telling the truth and stating facts, you don't have to remember what you said to who or when. I'm not necessarily saying that I think she is involved with Lindsey's disappearance, but she must have things in her life that she is trying to cover up. Things that LE or DSS would not find suitable in a home that has children.
    wow. i didnt know any of these individuals prior to volunteering to help find Lindsey. I assure you, LE MPD and FBI have not only questioned KK and family, they have done a full search of the home for any evidence or hints as to where LB is. I think it speaks volumes when they took her hard drive.. AND RETURNED IT! they dont do that if there is anything to hide!

    People need to remember why we are here. to find lindsey! its not to point fingers at whos a good mom and who sucks.. not about who gets child support adn who doesnt.. who's kids play with who... its about bringing lindsey home!
    I ask you, Can you point out what specific facts those are that kept changing? I've noticed a lot of things that have been "misquoted or simply interpreted" by others but I would like to see the actual original facts that changed (things she wrote or the exact media quotes). Some of us here on the front can easily find out why things were changed "if" they were and have not previously been explained by her personally.

    We all want to find out what happened to Lindsey and if clearing the air will help then lets try to do that."
    Im Jenn M, unless i mess up.. then im Jenn O!

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules71 View Post
    This is interesting because the story we have been hearing is that they had an argument and someone sent Josh home.
    Does it seem 'they' are attempting to protect an individual? In the sense, if the individual left the group on his own then it appears he is responsible for leaving LB to walk home alone .. but if a neighbor reprimands the individual and commands him to be on his way then responsibility shifts from the individual to the neighbor.

    I'm not accusing, not at all. Just noting, that ater everything I've been reading and just as important, *not* reading (because no one: media, bloggers, etc, writes about it) I sense a layer of virtual protection being spread. We might assume why: age, capacity, etc.

    I can not imagine what thoughts must go through the minds of those who were with LB that evening and how they think if they had done something differently ... would LB still be with them today?

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,060
    Hundreds gather for Baum vigil
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:13 PM PDT
    The friend who last saw Lindsey also addressed the crowd. She said the girls asked if Lindsey could spend the night at her house, but when her parents said no, the girls parted. “I saw her at the end of Maple (Street),” the girl said. “I always think if my mom and me would’ve done something different this wouldn’t have happened.”
    Above quote snipped from the Timeline.

    MK states: “I saw her at the end of Maple (Street),”

    Maple ends at 3rd Street across from the Shell station, further along from the 6th - 5th Streets block of Maple where witnesses, besides MK, place LB.

    Has anyone else wondered on MK's comment? Was it just an off-the-cuff 'visual' memory statement of MK having seen LB 'at the end of Maple' so often, previous to that evening, that we should dismiss this entirely?

    Could this be part of what we might assume to be key information [typically] withheld by LE?

    If LB did indeed make it to 3rd, that might place her within widefield view of the Shell security camera atop the main awning ... and if LB does appear in the video might we also assume it might reveal what occurred with LB ... unless whatever happened occurred *after* the Shell station, somewhere in the park / along Mommsen?

    I've seen mention, by some here, of the foot bridge in the park.

    Anyway, if LB was indeed [uneventfully] caught on camera that evening why might LE withhold that from the public [and perhaps, the family?]?

    Just tossing stuff out to the ether ....
    Last edited by ChuckMaureen; 11-11-2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling

  10. #25
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13,034
    Quote Originally Posted by fleececreations View Post
    wow. i didnt know any of these individuals prior to volunteering to help find Lindsey. I assure you, LE MPD and FBI have not only questioned KK and family, they have done a full search of the home for any evidence or hints as to where LB is. I think it speaks volumes when they took her hard drive.. AND RETURNED IT! they dont do that if there is anything to hide!

    People need to remember why we are here. to find lindsey! its not to point fingers at whos a good mom and who sucks.. not about who gets child support adn who doesnt.. who's kids play with who... its about bringing lindsey home!
    I ask you, Can you point out what specific facts those are that kept changing? I've noticed a lot of things that have been "misquoted or simply interpreted" by others but I would like to see the actual original facts that changed (things she wrote or the exact media quotes). Some of us here on the front can easily find out why things were changed "if" they were and have not previously been explained by her personally.

    We all want to find out what happened to Lindsey and if clearing the air will help then lets try to do that."
    And I say WOW back to you Fleece!! I thought that's what I have been doing is looking at possible connections and motives. You quote my post as if you are directing all your words at me and then throw in many things I have not even mentioned. That's cool, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, looking at and for connections to whoever is involved in Lindsey's disappearance.
    Last edited by Knox; 11-11-2009 at 05:18 PM.


  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    Don't know if it's considered important:
    6/27 (4:00 a.m.) McCleary PD calls in Grays Harbor County Sheriff.
    If you need confirmation link, let me know.
    What did the phone call entail?

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    99
    i appoligize for quoting your post. its the only way i knew how to connect it to my thoughts. so, for that, i appoligize.
    Im Jenn M, unless i mess up.. then im Jenn O!

  13. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    And I say WOW back to you Fleece!! I thought that's what I have been doing is looking at possible connections and motives. You quote my post as if you are directing all your words at me and then throw in many things I have not even mentioned. That's cool, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, looking at and for connections to whoever is involved in Lindsey's disappearance.
    Please do not take offense to that Knox, I do not believe that was intended to be directed solely at you - everyone's points of view are appreciated here and you have brought a lot of things to the table - we all realize that.

    Having read through the actual posts which many people (not just you) keep referring there is obviously a lot of things that have been misinterpreted or mis-/partially quoted using other peoples takes on what was said- IMO.

    I think what was being asked is to: read the original posts yourself - not take other peoples versions of what "was" said - and if you find an inconsistency that has not been addressed that is important or possibly so - well then lets address it directly in its original form here so that we can get to the bottom of it and then decide if it is truly a "deception" or "emotional reading" as I like to call it.

    WS is not like some of the other forums out there that are based in a large part on rumor mill but rather here, people have real plausible theories based on information that "really fits" not things that need to be contorted drastically or embellished in order to fit. All IMO - for whatever it is worth!

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by pennydawn View Post
    What did the phone call entail?
    That would be accurate with the time that MPD opted to call in outside help if I remember correctly.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    I wanted to bring this back up and although this isn't a timeline like the prior posts in this thread, I thought it was important to go back and look at media reports. I'm reading through the media thread in chronological and will be copying and pasting snippets.

    Police search for 10-year-old McCleary girl
    05:39 PM PDT on Saturday, June 27, 2009
    Lindsey J. Baum was last seen at roughly 9:15 p.m. on Maple Street. She was walking home from a friend's house, and the distance she had to go was only about four blocks.Small town baffled, alarmed at 10-year-old girl's disappearance
    Story Published: Jun 27, 2009 at 12:16 PM PDT
    Her mother reported her missing at 10:50 p.m. And as the hours drag by with no sign of her, the girl's family fears she may have been taken by a stranger.Search teams have been out looking for the girl, using bloodhounds. Sheriff's deputies, meanwhile, are calling people who live in the neighborhood and also are going door to door to see if anyone heard or saw anything. Lindsey's mother admits the 10-year old had been fighting with her brother in the moments before she was last seen, and that Lindsey is still upset about her parent's recent divorce. But with every passing hour, there are mounting worries that the friendly girl who will talk with anybody is in serious trouble.


    McCleary girl Missing
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:57 PM PDT
    Baum’s mother called the McCleary Police Department at 10:50 p.m., having waited in case her daughter had run into friends or otherwise dawdled, Patrick said.


    FBI joins search for missing 10-year-old girl
    Story Published: Jun 28, 2009 at 10:27 AM PD
    She says Lindsey argued with her brother on her way to a friend's house Friday night. She talked to her friend for a bit, then started for home as darkness fell. The friend's father, Scott Williams, said he asked Lindsey to go home before it got too dark. "She was here 10, 15 minutes, and then, you know, we said, 'You should probably get going before it gets dark,' and that was the last we heard of her," he said.
    Witnesses say Lindsey seemed normal as she headed out around 9:15. Another friend even walked her part of the way, but Lindsey never showed up at her home.

    FBI joins hunt for missing Washington girl
    Published: June 29, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    Lindsey was last seen Friday night when she left a friend's house in the small town of McCleary, located on the coast southwest of Seattle, for what should have been a 10-minute walk. Bloodhounds failed to pick up any scent of the child along the route.


    National Guard chopper joins search for missing girl
    Story Published: Jun 29, 2009 at 7:16 AM PDT
    A wide-ranging search was launched early Saturday in the town and the surrounding forests. The town was criss-crossed three times, but not a trace of Lindsey has been found. Even bloodhounds failed to pick up her scent. "We searched all of the outlying area of the logging roads... and up the highway, and along the railroad tracks," said volunteer Stephanie Ross. Pimentel said it's strange that nobody saw anything unusual.

    Search for girl expands
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:42 PM PDT
    Search dogs were being used this morning in marshy areas surrounding McCleary, and other areas that have been more difficult to traverse during the past two days of intense searching. A National Guard helicopter was to arrive this morning to search the area. And on Sunday, FBI agents were stopping literally every car coming in and out of town, hoping to find a lead. Tami Koethe, a cashier at a neighborhood Shell Station, said local law enforcement reviewed video as part of the search.

    Search ramps up for McCleary girl
    10:19 PM PDT on Tuesday, June 30, 2009
    Since investigators have not found any evidence to suggest what happened to Lindsey, they wanted to check her last known whereabouts thoroughly. Instead of kids playing in Jim Mullin's creek, search dogs were back on his property. It's the sixth time his place has been searched. Baum says she volunteered to take a polygraph late today. She wanted to clear herself, although police tell us she is not a suspect. "I don't want people saying oh maybe the mom got mad at her and stashed her and now saying she ran away, I don't want anything like that," says Baum. "I want everyone to know my daughter is missing.


    Mother Believes Missing Daughter Was Abducted
    Posted: 7:32 am PDT June 30, 2009
    Investigators monitored Lindsey Baum’s MySpace page for any clues but said the account has been inactive since she vanished and she left no posts indicating she was planning to leave. "There was nothing that indicated any preplanned intention for her to run away or go anywhere," said Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Rick Scott. Searching the Wildcat Creeks on Monday, the Thurston County Sheriff's Office dive team didn’t find any signs of the missing girl. Other officers took the contents out of Dumpsters making sure nothing goes unsearched.


    CANS Alert Issued for 10 Year Old Washington Girl
    Code Amber News Service (CANS) issued this Missing Endangered person Alert after the girl went missing on Friday evening (06-26) while walking home from a friends house in McCleary Washington. McCleary is a small town of about 1,500 residents and is about 15 miles west of Olympia. There is no evidence of foul play in this case but the FBI is joining the investigation and search today (Monday 06-29). The FBI will also be bringing in additional law enforcement personnel to help in the investigation and search. No Amber Alert has been issued in this case


    Search for missing girl includes aircraft, door-to-door
    MCCLEARY: No leads days after 10-year-old vanished
    Published June 30, 2009
    The last person to see Lindsey was a resident driving through town who saw her walking on Maple Street between Fifth and Sixth streets around 9:15 p.m. – about the halfway point between the two homes, Scott said. Investigators have reviewed surveillance video from the downtown Shell Station that Lindsey would have walked by on the way to Mommsen Road, but it turned up nothing, Scott said. Detectives are waiting for additional video surveillance from local businesses. Kempen said her daughter Michaela had spent Friday with Lindsey and a group of other girls, swimming at a friend’s pool before they returned to the home on Maple Street. Linda Cunningham, owner of McCleary Video, said she remembers Lindsey coming into her store with a group of friends to rent movies around 8:15 Friday night. “They were all laughing and joking and having a good time.” Investigators have taken Lindsey’s computer into evidence, Scott added. Police have checked her MySpace page and the phone numbers she dialed and received on her cell phone without finding any new leads, he said.


    Where is Lindsey Baum? Police, FBI Search for 10-Year-Old
    Girl's Mother Frantic After Lindsey Never Made it Home From a Friend's House
    June 30, 2009
    Baum said she last saw her daughter when Lindsey, along with her 12-year-old brother, Josh, headed out to Lindsey's friend's house in hopes she could get permission to spend the night at the Baum's house.
    Baum said her children began squabbling over the use of Josh's bike on the way there and were stopped by a family friend who sent Josh home to end the argument. Lindsey continued on to her friend's house. When Lindsey's friend found out she couldn't stay the night, Lindsey headed for home around 9:30 p.m.

    She began calling Lindsey's cell phone, only to find that her daughter had left it plugged into the charger. Initially thinking that her daughter must have met up with friends in the neighborhood, Baum set out on foot to find her daughter. But there was no sign of her. Eventually, her friend's parents joined the search by car. Baum even let her daughter's beloved German shepherd Kadence off its leash in hopes the dog would help find her. Finally, around 10:45 p.m., Baum said she called the police. Scott said witnesses were able to put Lindsey within a couple of blocks of her house just after 9:30 p.m. The last person reported to have seen her, he said, was a neighbor on her way to work. Scott said that there were a few businesses located just off the street Lindsey would have used to get home, and while the little girl did not appear in any of the videos, police have received clues about who was in the area at the time she disappeared.

    McCleary’s still searching
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:49 AM PDT
    Lindsey was leaving a friend’s house about four blocks away between 9 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Friday, traveling from Maple Street to Mommsen Road. Scott said a neighbor spotted her “two-thirds of the way home,” still on Maple Street. “We have her coming back from the residence alone consistent with the friend and friend’s family,” Scott said. “We cannot put her to the main street here or to the street in front of her house. This wasn’t somebody who said she saw someone who looks like (Lindsey) or might have been; she was very confident it was Lindsey because she knew her and was on her way to work.”

    “She wasn’t intentionally supposed to be alone,” Melissa Baum said. “She was with a friend and was supposed to come back together. And it was a fluke because normally she would have her cell phone with her. She takes her cell phone everywhere.” But the cell phone battery was dead and she plugged it in five minutes before leaving.


    The last person to see Lindsey was a resident driving through town who saw her walking on Maple Street between Fifth and Sixth streets around 9:15 p.m. – about the halfway point between the two homes, Scott said. People said light was waning but the sun hadn’t gone down.
    Linda Cunningham, owner of McCleary Video, said she remembers Lindsey coming into her store with a group of friends to rent movies around 8:15 Friday night. “They were all laughing and joking and having a good time.

    Expert: Missing girl likely went with someone she knew
    09:58 PM PDT on Wednesday, July 1, 2009
    "Based on the information I have, it’s someone she possibly knows or is in the area, not outside the area," said Henry Schmidt, with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Investigators say both Lindsey's mom and the father of the friend at the home where Lindsey had just left have both voluntarily taken - and passed - polygraph tests, and they are not considered suspects.



    She’s no runaway, family says
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:13 PM PDT
    Her family is holding out hope for her return, especially by her 11th birthday, which is next Tuesday.
    Melissa Baum said Lindsey’s birthday wish was for a digital camera so she could upload pictures to her computer. She didn’t spend much time watching television but she loved using the computer, including the popular social networking site MySpace and hanging with her friends, according to her family. MySpace.com lists two Lindsey Baums in McCleary with MySpace pages. One, with a picture of Lindsey’s pet German Shepherd on the page, is marked “private.” It lists her mood as “adored” and the name of her account as “DISTURBED.” But it gives no other public information.

    A second MySpace account is more public. Her nickname there is TWILIGHT FREAK. She loved the popular “Twilight” series of books, love stories about teen-age vampires. And Stephen King novels. And S.E Hinton, who wrote “The Outsiders.” Cryptically, within two hours of creating this second MySpace account in May, Baum allegedly wrote: “I’ve been getting a lot of nightmares lately and I have this bad feeling that something bad is gonna happen.” “Lindsey was having a hard time this school year,” Melissa Baum said. “This was not a good year for her — with the divorce and everything.”

    Searchers “not going anywhere”
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:13 PM PDT
    But Scott said he feels the best course of action instead of blind searching is to use “a smaller group that will be directed to areas that need to be searched again because of a tip or a lead.” Plus, searchers will also head down private logging roads that have been locked and forest lands located within 3 to 5 miles of McCleary. The search has also expanded to parts of Thurston and Mason counties. A video camera that can detect heat couldn’t be used because the ground was emanating too much heat. Unfortunately, Scott said the camera can’t be used today because of the same conditions.
    Two Grays Harbor Sheriff’s Officials worked endlessly Wednesday sorting through one-third of McCleary’s garbage, hoping to find a clue that could lead to Lindsey. “We're looking for any signs of evidence of the missing girl. We're looking for clothing Lindsey may have been wearing," said Chief Deputy Dave Pimentel. “And of course the un-talkable."

    She would have walked down Maple and would have had to cross 3rd Street, which is a main road in the town and has a crosswalk. At that point she would have had a short walk through a a commercial area, including a nearby bus station and a gas station. She would have had to cross the larger street, then back onto a residential street without a sidewalk and head down to her house at the 300 block of Mommsen Street, a dead-end residential neighborhood within view of the police station. But a minute or two before she crossed 3rd Street, she disappeared. A neighbor spotted her about two-thirds of the way home, Scott said.


    Hundreds gather for Baum vigil
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:13 PM PDT
    The friend who last saw Lindsey also addressed the crowd. She said the girls asked if Lindsey could spend the night at her house, but when her parents said no, the girls parted. “I saw her at the end of Maple (Street),” the girl said. “I always think if my mom and me would’ve done something different this wouldn’t have happened.”

    FBI: Stranger not likely behind girl's disappearance
    Story Published: Jul 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM PD
    On Wednesday a second person came forward to report having seen Lindsey Baum on Friday night as she walked home along Maple Street from a friend's house. Experts with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children say if the girl was abducted, it most likely wasn't by a stranger who was hiding in the bushes. "From what knowledge we have and the information that I have that it's someone that she possibly knows, somebody that is in the area," said Henry Schmidt with the organization.

    The missing girl's mother, who wanted avoid becoming the center of the investigation, voluntarily took a polygraph test. The father of the girl's best friend, Scott Williams, also volunteered to take the test. "At their requests polygraphs were given to them. They passed those polygraphs. We're comfortable with the information they've shared with us and comfortable with the timeline they've explained," said Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Rick Scott.


    Focus now on abduction
    Authorities ask people to report odd behavior
    “We are starting to look at this as more of a criminal investigation,” Grays Harbor Undersheriff Rick Scott said. “The possibility that someone has facilitated her disappearance is becoming greater as the hours tick on.” “I don’t know anything more than I knew Saturday afternoon,” he said, “but I’m not willing to admit that I know anything less.”

    Scott said bloodhounds traced the route Lindsey took early on from the friend’s house to her own home, but didn’t find any scent. And in places where Lindsey once played — parks and by the creek — Lindsey’s scent has been vanishing. The loss of scent could be a combination of factors — the heat on the sidewalk could have dissipated it for instance, he said.

    Scott said a second person came forward Tuesday with a confirmed sighting of Baum from Friday night in the same area along Maple Street near Fifth Street. Scott said the search would have to continue to expand beyond the city limits, targeting logging roads or other remote areas farther afield. But he vowed it would go on as long as necessary




    She began calling Lindsey's cell phone, only to find that her daughter had left it plugged into the charger. Initially thinking that her daughter must have met up with friends in the neighborhood, Baum set out on foot to find her daughter. But there was no sign of her. Eventually, her friend's parents joined the search by car. Baum even let her daughter's beloved German shepherd Kadence off its leash in hopes the dog would help find her. Finally, around 10:45 p.m., Baum said she called the police. Scott said witnesses were able to put Lindsey within a couple of blocks of her house just after 9:30 p.m. The last person reported to have seen her, he said, was a neighbor on her way to work. Scott said that there were a few businesses located just off the street Lindsey would have used to get home, and while the little girl did not appear in any of the videos, police have received clues about who was in the area at the time she disappeared.

    “She wasn’t intentionally supposed to be alone,” Melissa Baum said. “She was with a friend and was supposed to come back together. And it was a fluke because normally she would have her cell phone with her. She takes her cell phone everywhere.” But the cell phone battery was dead and she plugged it in five minutes before leaving.



    Maybe Josh baum, Lindseys brother told her after the fact that Lindsey Baum had put her phone on the charger? I see where Melissa Baum tries to call her daughter not realizing the phone is on the charger at home. Then I see Melissa Baum stating the cell phone was put on the charger five minutes before she (Lindsey Baum) left because the battery was dead. So I guess I need to ask if Melissa Baum was home when Lindsey left? Or is that something that is not known? Not placing any blame here, just trying to figure this all out.
    Last edited by MarieG; 11-20-2009 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Grammar and Spelling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 01:34 AM

Tags for this Thread