4 Toddlers Walk Out Of Day Care, Saved By Truckers On Busy Road

daisy7

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
WEST MIFFLIN, Pa. -- Channel 11 has learned the state is investigating a West Mifflin day care from which four 2-year-olds wandered away Tuesday. The toddlers walked out of the Walnut Grove Christian School and down an access road. They ended up 200 yards away in the middle of busy West Mifflin Street.

When E. Dorcett stepped out of a nearby gospel radio station for a break, he noticed four toddlers, one girl and three boys, in the road. He then watched as two truckers ran to save the kids.

"The Rent-A-Center guy -- he was running up and he grabbed two. The other trucker -- he grabbed two," said Dorcett.

(snipped)

http://www.wpxi.com/news/20146589/detail.html

Someone was definitely watching over these babies, and it wasn't the daycare.

wow thank God he had his angels watching over these kids. i know stuff happens and kids can be quick. i'm also sure this wasn't malicious but there better be consequences for this.

OMG! :eek: If I was one of those parents, I would be knocking some heads. WTH? I can see one accidently escaping...but FOUR at the same time?!

It is wonderful the men saved those children. They deserve an award of some kind.

We had a 5 year old child with Autism recently struck and killed here because no one stopped to grab him before he could dart out into a busy intersection. If only someone would have stopped him before he ever got to the corner, it could have been a different outcome. :(

I'm with SeriouslySearching, one child is one thing, four is someone sleeping on the job! Thankfully these little ones are safe and someone get those truckers some kind of medal!

I'm amazed that the four toddlers toddled together that far.

From the link above:
"The Department of Public Welfare found conditions existing there "pose an immediate and serious danger to the life or health of the child in care."

The DPW said violations included improper supervision, unsafe areas, equipment safety issues and improper ventilation."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think that explains all... stupid people should be shot...

I'm with SeriouslySearching, one child is one thing, four is someone sleeping on the job! Thankfully these little ones are safe and someone get those truckers some kind of medal!

I was a preschool teacher for years and a few of those years was with 2 year olds. There is no excuse for even ONE getting out of a door. There should be extreme safety measures in every center that cares for children. Also, I'm willing to bet all 4 came out of the same area with the same teacher. What was she doing? This is crazy.

From the link above:
"The Department of Public Welfare found conditions existing there "pose an immediate and serious danger to the life or health of the child in care."

The DPW said violations included improper supervision, unsafe areas, equipment safety issues and improper ventilation."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think that explains all... stupid people should be shot...

And, the daycare has been ordered to close - yeah!!

http://www.wpxi.com/download/2009/0724/20164679.pdf

The absolute scariest part of this story is the comments section after the article at the link in the OP.

At least half of the comments are of the "accidents happen" variety, and at least one blames the toddlers - led by a headstrong 2yo girl - you know what mischief they can get into. Um, yeah! That's why we pay people to watch them!!!:banghead:

Something is really wrong with these people. I have been taking care of other people's children since I was...well, really since my little brother was born when I was 5. And I have known only 2 times when a child got out of our care. Once was a very determined special needs child who was a runner, and he made it out of our doors into the church hallway. The teachers were reprimanded, and the entire staff had an education session on how to keep him and the others safe. The second time he made it to the sidewalk, on the edge of the parking lot, and the teachers were fired. No one complained that it was unfair, although his mother felt awful about it b/c he had done the same to her. It was our job to watch him and keep him safe.

It is so scary to even think you have lost track of a child, whether you miscount or they are behind the slide or playing hide and go seek with you. The idea that four toddlers made it to the road without any of this staff being in a complete panic is completely UNACCEPTABLE. That there are so many defending them is insane.

Our children really are becoming disposable.

I automatically wonder if someone was on his/her cell phone. Time and time again I see parents/care-givers on cell phones paying NO attention to what their charges are doing! (I'm a little touchy this weekend because there is a HUGE festival going on in our town and people are everywhere NOT watching their kids.) :(

God bless the truck drivers!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back