1588 users online (254 members and 1334 guests)  

Websleuths News

Deaf woman hit by train

From article:
    Witnesses say the train was blowing its whistle but the site has no flashing lights or crossing barrier.

http://www.kplctv.com/global/story.asp?s=10792046

How sad.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaBrown23 View Post
    Oh, my best friend is deaf, since birth. I worry about her every day.

My heart goes out with prayer's to the family. This death could have been prevented, just by having the lights flashing. Sad.
    Last edited by bogeygal; 07-26-2009 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bogeygal View Post
    Oh, my best friend is deaf, since birth. I worry about her every day.

My heart goes out with prayer's to the family. This death could have been prevented, just by having the lights flashing. Sad.
    Right on bogeygal. There should be NO raillroad crossing where there is not sufficient warning for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by montana_16 View Post
    Right on bogeygal. There should be NO raillroad crossing where there is not sufficient warning for everyone!
    I know montana, there are one or two in my area that I've warned my children about when they are driving. 9 times out of 10 those crossings are "safe" to go thru, but at any moment that could change.

I'm glad to have learned about this story, and I should give another reminder to my son's.

So very tragic - my son and daughter-in-law are deaf and train tracks are just one of the nightmares I have. My sincere blessings go out to this woman's family & friends.

JUSTICE FOR TRAVIS

How about looking before you cross a railroad track? I don't mean to speak ill of the dead, but you have to be careful anytime you are crossing. She should have looked both ways to see if there was a train. It's our job as pedestrians and drivers to keep our butts off the tracks as much as possible. It takes a freight train going 55 mph a MILE to stop. I feel sorry for the engineer, conductor and brakeman who will never be the same because they had to witness the horror and were powerless to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by HesterMofet View Post
    How about looking before you cross a railroad track? I don't mean to speak ill of the dead, but you have to be careful anytime you are crossing. She should have looked both ways to see if there was a train. It's our job as pedestrians and drivers to keep our butts off the tracks as much as possible. It takes a freight train going 55 mph a MILE to stop. I feel sorry for the engineer, conductor and brakeman who will never be the same because they had to witness the horror and were powerless to stop it.
    The impact probably happened in a split-second. The conductor was blowing the horn, unaware that she was deaf. It's such a sad story all around.

I hope they put up flashing lights after this tragedy.