TX - Scott Buchholtz-Sanchez, 3 wks, decapitated, San Antonio, July 2009 *Insanity*

barb0301

Reaction score
According to the report, the mother says she "heard voices" that told her to kill her child. When officers arrived, she said she wanted to kill herself.

http://www.kens5.com/latestnews/stories/KENS20090726-Baby-Killed-NW-Side.7b68a56a.html

I can't stomach these stories anymore !! There were other people in the house with this mother and newborn. Why didn't any of them notice the mental state of this "mom" and step in?

She's in the hospital now, but will be charged with capital murder when she is released.

There are just no words. :cry: Poor little baby boy. If the mother was so far gone that she was hearing voices, D@mn, the people living with her that didnt notice this woman needed help! Someone needs to pay for the death of this little angel. Rest in Peace, sweet baby..You're safe now!

Just when you think you can't be any sadder for the state of humanity... :mad: Poor little baby, he never had a chance.

You'd be amazed how much people don't see when a woman is suffering from postpartum illness. Considering the age of the baby, I'm going to take a guess this mother suffered from postpartum psychosis. Now, before you say it's a bs illness let me tell you, it's very real. It's unfortunate this mother didn't get the help she needed.

The people living in the home may have believed the mother only suffered from baby blues. It can look like that to someone looking from the outside in. Until science figures out a way to read people's minds there's just no way to know the severity of an individual's postpartum illness. Usually not until it's too late.

Having been a sufferer of PPP, I just cannot condemn this woman. I am saddened for both her and her baby. The help is there.. we have to let women know it's okay to tell someone. Even the scariest things you may think or hear, you have to tell someone.. anyone! For you and your baby.

I may have to take a break from WS for a little while. These sad, sick cases are affecting me more and more. My homepage is set to CNN, and that's bad enough for tragedies, but there is just so much horror and murder of innocents in the world! It's demoralizing. Don't get me wrong; this is a great site, but the murders of kids are really getting to me. Maybe it's because my daughter is 2 months pregnant and I keep thinking about her or her baby in those situations . . . I dunno. It's because of her that I can't bear to look at all the young missing and murdered girls' pictures and reconstructions. I focus on the men just because it's easier for me emotionally.

Poor little guy. What a sad and terrible waste.

This is tragic. That poor, poor little baby.

Despite having had children myself, I really don't understand PPD's causes. Is there something about childbirth that incites some form of latent schizophrena in some women whose families are prone to it?

This is tragic. That poor, poor little baby.

Despite having had children myself, I really don't understand PPD's causes. Is there something about childbirth that incites some form of latent schizophrena in some women whose families are prone to it?

I think it has something to do with the fluctuation in hormone levels, which can cause chemical imbalances of the central nervous system.
In turn, serotonin and dopamine levels in the brain get all out of wack.

Scary stuff. Almost a 'luck of the draw' kind of thing, as there is no sure-fire test to predict who will or won't be hit with PPD, or to what degree.

This reminds me of the Andrea Yates tragedy- the mother who drowned her five young children in the bathtub, because 'voices in her head' told her to.

This is all just so sad.

She has to be sick... I would kill for MY child... but never kill them..........

You'd be amazed how much people don't see when a woman is suffering from postpartum illness. Considering the age of the baby, I'm going to take a guess this mother suffered from postpartum psychosis. Now, before you say it's a bs illness let me tell you, it's very real. It's unfortunate this mother didn't get the help she needed.

The people living in the home may have believed the mother only suffered from baby blues. It can look like that to someone looking from the outside in. Until science figures out a way to read people's minds there's just no way to know the severity of an individual's postpartum illness. Usually not until it's too late.

Having been a sufferer of PPP, I just cannot condemn this woman. I am saddened for both her and her baby. The help is there.. we have to let women know it's okay to tell someone. Even the scariest things you may think or hear, you have to tell someone.. anyone! For you and your baby.

Well said.

One or two in a thousand women will develop postpartum psychosis - a very serious illness that needs quick intervention, usually including hospitalization.

One or two in a thousand may not sound like many until you know that in 2004 there were just over 4.1 million births in the United States. This translates to 4,100 to 8,200 women who experience postpartum psychosis per year. Given the rates of suicide and infanticide related to postpartum psychosis, this estimates at risk over 300 infants killed and more than 400 mothers committing suicide because of this illness each year in the US alone.

There are some associated risk factors and causes for PPP:
Although more studies are needed to determine the causes of postpartum illnesses, the evidence suggests that the sudden drop in estrogen levels that occurs immediately after the birth of a child plays a significant role, along with sleep disruptions that are inevitable before and after the birth. Many researchers conclude that postpartum psychosis is strongly related to the bipolar spectrum. Indeed, one theory is that new mothers who have psychotic episodes and dramatic mood swings are actually experiencing their first bipolar episodes, with the manic-depressive illness having been "dormant" beforehand and triggered by childbirth. In fact, for 25% of women who have bipolar disorder, the condition began with a postpartum episode (Sharma and Mazmanian).

One of the biggest risk factors for postpartum psychosis is previously diagnosed bipolar disorder or schizophrenia, along with a family history of one of these conditions. Also, women who have already experienced postpartum depression or psychosis have a 20-50% chance of having it again at future births.

From: http://bipolar.about.com/od/relateddisorders/a/postpartumpsych.htm

I can understand how schizophrenia or schizo-affective disorder relates to PPP, which I earlier called PPD in error, but I just don't see straight bipolar disorder as being one of the causes. Hearing voices is not a feature of bipolar disorder. I don't know who the authors,Sharma and Mazmanian are or what their credentials are, but pregnancy putting a twist on bipolar is laughable to me. The twists they refer to are purely schizo in nature. Had they described what they were calling bipolar as schizo-affective disorder, then I'd agree with them. I've read a number of books about bipolar disorder, some of them clinical texts.

I agree with this post-I think that this woman will absolutely pay the price for this horror once she is brought back to herself. Imagine, just imagine when she is brought back to being able to think clearly and to realize what she did. OMG. There are no words.

I am a HUGE advocate for testing the day after delivery. There is a physician by the name of Dr Klaiber who wrote a book called Hormones and the Mind, IIRC. He believes that women who will suffer PPD and the like can be dx'd as soon as the day after delivery but easily within 3 wks by drawing blood and measuring the recovery of their hormones after birth.

I agree with this post-I think that this woman will absolutely pay the price for this horror once she is brought back to herself. Imagine, just imagine when she is brought back to being able to think clearly and to realize what she did. OMG. There are no words.

I am a HUGE advocate for testing the day after delivery. There is a physician by the name of Dr Klaiber who wrote a book called Hormones and the Mind, IIRC. He believes that women who will suffer PPD and the like can be dx'd as soon as the day after delivery but easily within 3 wks by drawing blood and measuring the recovery of their hormones after birth.

I agree and believe it should be absolutely mandatory with every single birth.

Stories like this make me pity people who cannot conceive or who have miscarriages/stillbirths... Reading stories like this must rip their hearts out.

So tragic - bless that poor little baby.

When/if she comes out of this, she will suffer the torments of the damned with the realization of what she did.

I love the idea of testing and monitoring women postpartum. The Ob-Gyn association does have precautions in place. Most do have a questionnaire that is filled out before the Mom leaves the hospital and at their six-week check up. Unfortunately, this Mom and baby didn't make it to the six week mark. It's the time between hospital release and that six week mark we must do something about. There needs to be more follow up.

The unfortunate thing is we don't hear a lot about PPP unless a mother has harmed her baby. Many women commit suicide because of this illness. Infanticide from PPP is far less common (no links just from my support group pamphlet). However, it seems a postpartum suicide isn't as sensational of a news story as infanticide.

Please note, I am not saying this baby's death is not tragic. Whether the Mom had hurt herself or her baby, I would have the same feelings. She just needed help. Unfortunately, she didn't get it in time. :(

When she comes out of this, she will suffer the torments of the damned with the realization of what she did.

This is only one of the reasons why I will not condemn or judge her. She will live in her own private hell once, and IF, she is able to come out this. Of course, I understand the hell she was living on earth as well. Something I wish no mother or new baby had to go through. With education I hope we will soon see less of these stories. No mother or baby should have to suffer because of postpartum illness. I truly hope someday no one has to.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back